shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab grown disappointment

nojs

Shiny_Rock
My first loose lab stone just arrived and I’m a bit disappointed to be honest. The stone is a 0.68 ct IGI F SI1 from JA. It is definitely warmer than my GIA G no Fluor natural cushion which is of similar size (0.74 ct). I’d say it is around H color in my eyes. I have natural diamonds in colors E, G, H, J and K of which I have currently as loose a G and a K.

Cutting is nice as expected and I can’t find any flaws even with a 10 x loop.

Also when I opened the box I didn’t feel even a little excitement. I’ll have to wait for my next natural diamond purchase to arrive to determine if it is a lab grown issue or something else. I have already purchased a GIA D VVS1 so we’ll find out soon enough.

In the picture below GIA G (no Fluor) is on
the left, IGI F is in the middle and a GIA K is right.

482CC862-2B2E-4239-871C-33FC134145D2.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, nojs!
Do you mind pasting the link to your diamond from the JA site?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Definitely not a problem with the LGD itself as it is with the color grade assigned at the IGI lab, to my eyes. I think you're on the right track by thinking it would be GIA G-H equivalent.

I don’t know. It’s not that I don’t like color. I have a GIA H and K as well as an AGS J (natural diamonds) that I’m perfectly happy with. Sure if I buy an F and get a H, it might be the source of my disappointment to some (large?) degree. But there seems to be something else as well.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know. It’s not that I don’t like color. I have a GIA H and K as well as an AGS J (natural diamonds) that I’m perfectly happy with. Sure if I buy an F and get a H, it might be the source of my disappointment to some (large?) degree. But there seems to be something else as well.

Tiny symmetry imperfections?
Do the uppers appear a little dark and static?
Any dullness/diminished brightness under the table?
Any slight hazy appearance in certain lighting conditions?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Tiny symmetry imperfections?
Do the uppers appear a little dark and static?
Any dullness/diminished brightness under the table?
Any slight hazy appearance in certain lighting conditions?

I don’t think so. I compared it to my AGS000 ( J VVS2) and see no real difference. Symmetry seems fine. But it is growing on me, let’s see how I feel tomorrow :)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think so. I compared it to my AGS000 ( J VVS2) and see no real difference. Symmetry seems fine. But it is growing on me, let’s see how I feel tomorrow :)

Do you think it’s a mind clean thing? I also ordered a lab diamond and am worried about that… I’m perfectly fine with lab diamonds in very small sizes (like bands and what not). I’m worried mind clean will be an issue once the diamond is a certain size.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you seeing a bit of obstruction with the arrows?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Do you think it’s a mind clean thing? I also ordered a lab diamond and am worried about that… I’m perfectly fine with lab diamonds in very small sizes (like bands and what not). I’m worried mind clean will be an issue once the diamond is a certain size.

Could be. I have bought small (total carat weight of 0.5) studs set in 14 K yellow gold and I had no “mind clean” issues with those. But this loose stone… I don’t know.

Reactions: Kya

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Could be. I have bought small (total carat weight of 0.5) studs set in 14 K yellow gold and I had no “mind clean” issues with those. But this loose stone… I don’t know.
This stone is a very “believable” size, something I could easily afford mined and I do own natural diamonds of this size. So at least that is not standing in the way of mind clean. But it might be that it doesn’t have the same allure in my eyes, which is silly really.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I’d like to add that this is not for any specific purpose or project in mind. I just like to own different kinds of smallish stones with different characteristics :) I bought this as a test really to see how I feel about lab diamonds. Being in Europe makes returns a hassle (with VAT etc) so it is in a way easier just to keep it.

Reactions: Kya

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I just received my 0.5 ct D VVS1 cushion cut natural diamond and it DID spark joy the minute I laid eyes on it. It is gorgeous! Small, but absolutely gorgeous! This is how one is supposed to feel about a diamond :)

My current analysis of the lab disappoint is:
- I instantly recognised a yellow tint, which I didn’t expect in an F (I’d expect F to be ”colorless”). When I opened the box I didn’t have other diamonds at sigh, so I was just comparing the color on what I think an F should look like.
- after purchasing the diamond from JA, I found Ritani, where same money would have gotten me a bigger stone
- I expect the prices of lab diamonds to drop even more in the future

Since I’m in Europe and the return with the customs is a real pain, I just might keep it anyway. I still appreciate the cut and the very clean S1, and I have even found a suitable jewerly project for it.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I’d like to add that this is not for any specific purpose or project in mind. I just like to own different kinds of smallish stones with different characteristics :) I bought this as a test really to see how I feel about lab diamonds. Being in Europe makes returns a hassle (with VAT etc) so it is in a way easier just to keep it.

I do this too. It is nice to have a sparklie "library." I like collecting and also use stones, settings, etc. as education for different loved ones to help them. I am glad you found use for the JA stone afterall!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
7610FF50-D274-4640-B1FB-70F82BE6439C.jpeg
My loose stones in the kitchen lighting:
- GIA K I1 0.64 cushion, faint fluorescence (natural), cost 610 USD
- IGI F SI1 0.68 round (lab), 580 USD
- GIA F VVS1 0.5 cushion with strong fluorescence (natural), 750 USD
- GIA G I1 0.74 cushion, no fluorescence (natural), 660 USD (!!)

My I1s are so clean I have hard time locating the inclusions without a loupe even when I know what to look for. If I could keep only one diamond of these 4, I’d pick the 0.74 cushion but the 0.5 ct cushion comes a close runner up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results