shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab grown colored stone?

Effy

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm very new to natural diamonds, not to mention lab grown or gemstones! Just wondering what do people think about lab grown colored stones? I haven't seen discussions of this in the forum, or maybe I just didn't find them. Is there any recommended seller?
Thanks in advance!

Effy

Rough_Rock
I love lab sapphires in particular because they're so hard on the MOHS scale and come in so many colors. I've bought from Precision Gems and had a couple specially cut by Finewater Gems. The three below were all then made into jewelry by David Klass.

p1.jpg p2.jpg

p3.jpeg p4.jpg
p5.jpg p6.jpg

wow they look absolutely amazing!! thanks for sharing!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the following to date, CSs that would be beyond my reach if they are natural:

An emerald cut Emerald
An Emerald cabochon
A Paraiba colour YAG
An Asscher cut blue Sapphire
3 Rubies in different cuts
A neon glowy yellow LuAG

DK :))

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I have a lab created laser garnet (neodymium and cerium YAG)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I'm very new to natural diamonds, not to mention lab grown or gemstones! Just wondering what do people think about lab grown colored stones? I haven't seen discussions of this in the forum, or maybe I just didn't find them. Is there any recommended seller?
Thanks in advance!

Edit because I think I sound rough ahead and don't mean to at all!
So i personally love lab sapphires. I think they are amazing and hope to create a whole collection someday! But as to why you haven't seen them. It's because they are in the fashion jewellery section :( The lab diamond section is only for lab diamonds. And unfortunately people like the lab diamonds more than the lab coloured stones :( And I think being relegated to fashion jewellery also sounds kinda bad and not necessarily what you think of when you think of coloured lab stones. So the section is mostly quiet. But there's a couple threads with people posting their stones you can look through. People buy their stones from time to time and post in it.

I've only purchased a few lab stones myself. A beautiful one that is making my husband super jealous from a lovely PSer who was rehoming some of her collection. I also bought couple blue spinel and a ruby from Scott Laborie. But I'm not sure if he just cuts mined stones with his wife these days or if he still does anything on his own. And I got one blue sapphire from Stag and Finch. They are definitely still cutting.

Last edited:

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I love lab sapphires in particular because they're so hard on the MOHS scale and come in so many colors. I've bought from Precision Gems and had a couple specially cut by Finewater Gems. The three below were all then made into jewelry by David Klass.

p1.jpg p2.jpg

p3.jpeg p4.jpg
p5.jpg p6.jpg

Sweet oogly mooglies is there a thread for that bottom round sapphire? It GLOWS

Effy

Rough_Rock
Edit because I think I sound rough ahead and don't mean to at all!
So i personally love lab sapphires. I think they are amazing and hope to create a whole collection someday! But as to why you haven't seen them. It's because they are in the fashion jewellery section :( The lab diamond section is only for lab diamonds. And unfortunately people like the lab diamonds more than the lab coloured stones :( And I think being relegated to fashion jewellery also sounds kinda bad and not necessarily what you think of when you think of coloured lab stones. So the section is mostly quiet. But there's a couple threads with people posting their stones you can look through. People buy their stones from time to time and post in it.

I've only purchased a few lab stones myself. A beautiful one that is making my husband super jealous from a lovely PSer who was rehoming some of her collection. I also bought couple blue spinel and a ruby from Scott Laborie. But I'm not sure if he just cuts mined stones with his wife these days or if he still does anything on his own. And I got one blue sapphire from Stag and Finch. They are definitely still cutting.

Thanks for explaining and no worries at all! I wasn’t sure if this is the right place when I posted the thread either. I checked lab diamond section and colored stones section, but completely missed the fancy jewelry one!!
PS. Someone please let me know if I should move the thread to somewhere else

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for explaining and no worries at all! I wasn’t sure if this is the right place when I posted the thread either. I checked lab diamond section and colored stones section, but completely missed the fancy jewelry one!!
PS. Someone please let me know if I should move the thread to somewhere else

Of course! This is the link to one of the threads I was thinking of specifically if you haven't already gotten to it in Fashion Jewellery. It's a nice big thread full of pretty stones!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I had a lovely sapphire cut by Gary at Finewater Gems, 6.34 ct royal blue lab grown sapphire. It's in the ring in my avatar photo.

I plan to have him cut three light pink sapphires for a ring for my spouse later this year. The cut and colors are lovely. There are so many gems he has cut that I would love in my collection, many of them lab grown.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of mine:

The Emerald from Jeff W next to my Imperial Topaz:

2018-09-15-11-26-31.jpg

My lab Paraiba YAG, Ruby and Sapphire, all cut by Gary of Finewater Gems:

FW_Lab_Sapphire_YAG_Ruby.jpg

FW_Lab_Sapphire_YAG_Ruby_02.jpg

Lab Emerald cabochon, also by Gary:

3.49 Lab Emerald 10.5x7.8x5.7mm.png

Two lab Rubies, can't remember who cut them, however, they are precision cut:

20191125_101515.jpg

I don't have a photo of the LuAG from Gary, however, it is very neon yellow and glowy!

DK :))

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking of getting this one from Gary's site. What do you all think? 4.88 Yellow Sapphire H&A precision cut. Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.38.39 PM.png

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking of getting this one from Gary's site. What do you all think? 4.88 Yellow Sapphire H&A precision cut. Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.38.39 PM.png

I love it! I purchased a yellow lab sapphire from Gary a few months ago and it’s perfection. I think you will be very happy with that sunny stone and I can tell you from experience that the yellows look way better in person.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! I purchased a yellow lab sapphire from Gary a few months ago and it’s perfection. I think you will be very happy with that sunny stone and I can tell you from experience that the yellows look way better in person.

Thank you for sharing that with us Mjay! I've been eyeing getting a yellow sapphire from Gary, but worried the yellow would be washed out, glad to know they look better in person.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my lab sapphire from Gary! DK set it with lab diamonds for me, it's by far one of my favourite pieces ❤️

761972-ff72367af28f9d4c9e47ed7df9c09740.jpg 761973-5ba9b596fbd8aa9d265723bd4a1be8c4.jpg SapphRing7.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

Did you buy it? If so, please post photos when it arrives!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing that with us Mjay! I've been eyeing getting a yellow sapphire from Gary, but worried the yellow would be washed out, glad to know they look better in person.

I have 2 yellow sapphires and they are incredible. Not washed out at all. They just don’t photograph well.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Did you buy it? If so, please post photos when it arrives!

Yes, I did and I will. Now I'm thinking do I want ring or pendant. I'm leaning towards pendant because it will accent more of what I'm wearing that way. He said it should fit into a 9mm setting, but I'll start a thread on that once I get it. I don't know how the Stuller settings work or if there are other options besides custom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results