shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab green emerald

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So I want to get a real emerald and was looking at some choices from JR Columbian but in the meantime, I found this heart shaped lab emerald on Etsy and it was $27 so I thought "why not". I'm expecting it in the mail soon (but you know USPS lately has been a nightmare!) Anyway, it's labeled as "Hydrothermal Emerald Lab Created" and in the title it also says "Synthetic gemstone". The title has tons of words probably so that if you do a search it will get hits. Anyway, you know how lab diamonds are still diamonds? When they say "hydrothermal" does that mean that the properties don't make it a real (just lab created) gem? I'm a total newbie to man made stuff. When googling I'm still not real clear on the process. Anyway I'm posting pictures that the seller posted. Her site says most of the gems she sells (both natural and lab) are taken out of used jewelry. It is included, but I figured that made it look more natural :)

il_1140xN.2581533689_vbaf.jpg il_1140xN.2533884478_htyg.jpg

So I want to get a real emerald and was looking at some choices from JR Columbian but in the meantime, I found this heart shaped lab emerald on Etsy and it was $27 so I thought "why not". I'm expecting it in the mail soon (but you know USPS lately has been a nightmare!) Anyway, it's labeled as "Hydrothermal Emerald Lab Created" and in the title it also says "Synthetic gemstone". The title has tons of words probably so that if you do a search it will get hits. Anyway, you know how lab diamonds are still diamonds? When they say "hydrothermal" does that mean that the properties don't make it a real (just lab created) gem? I'm a total newbie to man made stuff. When googling I'm still not real clear on the process. Anyway I'm posting pictures that the seller posted. Her site says most of the gems she sells (both natural and lab) are taken out of used jewelry. It is included, but I figured that made it look more natural :)

Idk what type of stone it should be classified as. But I think it's super cute! What size is it in mm? I hope you end up keeping it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm 80 percent certain hydrothermal is just the method of creation. Same as flame fusion is also a method. I think there's also a couple other methods of making them. Those are just the 2 I remember. But someone can correct me if I am wrong. Lab created gemstones are chemically and optically the same as their natural counterparts. Just made in a lab as well with different methods same as lab diamonds.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

If they say it is "hydrothermal" and "synthetic" then it should be optically and chemically the same as an earth mined emerald. The only risk factor is whether or not the vendor is telling the truth. Are they a trustworthy source? A lot of dubious companies will throw those terms around in relation to any man-made green stone, the same way you get companies calling their CZs "lab diamonds".

I can't be sure what your stone is but I think it's lovely. I like the heart shape! =)2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If they say it is "hydrothermal" and "synthetic" then it should be optically and chemically the same as an earth mined emerald. The only risk factor is whether or not the vendor is telling the truth. Are they a trustworthy source? A lot of dubious companies will throw those terms around in relation to any man-made green stone, the same way you get companies calling their CZs "lab diamonds".

I can't be sure what your stone is but I think it's lovely. I like the heart shape! =)2

The vendor is Flowing Gems on Etsy And she seems to have a good reputation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results