shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Diamond Testing fake?

Pear2019

Rough_Rock
My fiancé and I purchased my lab diamond at a mall jewelry store after looking at many other online retailers such as brilliant earth, etc... we got the best deal there after all the discounts and the sale they were having. It is a 2ct lab diamond; G color, VS1, excellent cut. I was told it would test as a real diamond. I was at another jewelry store looking at wedding bands and I asked them to test my diamond because I had read of someone buying a ring claimed to be a real diamond and it turned out to be a moissanite. The jeweler said my ring was NOT testing as a diamond, but that some lab diamonds do not test real....is this true?!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cheaper diamond testers are not always very good.

Do you have a grading report and reference number for the stone that you bought?

A LGD/MMD should have a reference number laser-etched onto the girdle - if you have a loupe (perhaps 20x or 30x) you should be able to read it with some practice.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cheaper diamond testers are not always very good.

Do you have a grading report and reference number for the stone that you bought?

A LGD/MMD should have a reference number laser-etched onto the girdle - if you have a loupe (perhaps 20x or 30x) you should be able to read it with some practice.

This.

Pear2019

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have the grading report and I can see the number etched into the girdle. However, I read that another person had the exact same thing - grading report and number etched, and got it tested and it also was deemed a fake diamond. She ended up getting her money back. :(

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much did you pay for your 2 Ct diamond?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have the grading report and I can see the number etched into the girdle. However, I read that another person had the exact same thing - grading report and number etched, and got it tested and it also was deemed a fake diamond. She ended up getting her money back. :(

I would be really surprised if there was a number etched in the stone that matched a report yet the stone was a moissanite. It seems like a significant amount of work for a 'scammer' to do, especially if you purchased from a reputable jeweler. What was the price, and who sold it to you?

elizat

Ideal_Rock

If you have all of this, it should be legit.

Think about it.. you are at another store and shopping. It makes sense that they may try to sell you on their product, especially if these are more traditional mall stores. Who knows if they were even using it right or a proper piece of equipment. They are trained to sell and that's it pretty much.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you link to where you read the above?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I've watched those "diamond testers" throw moissanite on mined diamonds too. It's nothing to do with lab diamonds, those testers just aren't reliable.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m figuring if the price is too good to be true maybe it’s not real.

Pear2019

Rough_Rock
We paid about 8k for it, in a 14k white gold setting. And yes, it was a bee forum that I read this in. :/

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
When I was lab diamond shopping, I was told by a Chinese vendor that HPHT diamonds are likely to test as moissanite, especially in the colorless range just because of how they’re made. CVD will usually pass the diamond test, although I wouldn’t be surprised if some didn’t pass from time to time. Personally I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if the diamond was laser inscribed with the certificate number (which you should be able to pull up from the lab website) and if you bought it from—what I’m assuming—a legitimate vendor.

I also looked up that thread. I own moissanite pieces that I love, including a beautiful AVR moissy. Even though the AVR has diamond-like qualities, it is obvious it’s not a diamond and wouldn’t pass as one, especially if you hold it next to a diamond. I’ve never fooled any experienced jeweler with it; they could tell it was a moissy right away.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We paid about 8k for it, in a 14k white gold setting. And yes, it was a bee forum that I read this in. :/

I would pull up your inscription number on the lab site and verify it. What lab graded? Gcal, IGI, or another? If your report and number matches website, I think all is probably well.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that price they better be real!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results