shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab diamond prices rising not falling

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who say they will be pennies on the dollar, my 2.10 from rare caret has gone up $2000 since the fall. My friend in jewelry says it’s because they are more popular now with young buyers And hard to get. I’m not saying it will stay that way as more dealers and manufacturers come out. But for now....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting topic!!
From what I see, there's always going to be those who "race to the bottom" in terms of price. The internet really exacerbates this- because many online sellers have no inventory, and nothing invested. In such a business model, a minuscule profit margin is all that's needed.....but in many cases ( just like with Earth Mined diamonds) "bottom feeder" sellers can not actually obtain the stones.

then- as with Earth mined diamonds, there's going to be stones that are just better than others.
First, of course, is cut.
But there's also the rarity of certain fancy colors.
Pink is much more difficult to achieve, as opposed to blue. then, most of the pink stones ill have orange- so a stone that is "pure" pink is going to cost more.

Another interesting aspect is how low can they possibly go?
There's a hard cost- of course much lower than for Earth mined stones- but definitely NOT zero. And we get back to the cutting..superior cutting costs more.
They have come down in price overe the past year...but I don't forsee them dropping further.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting topic!!
From what I see, there's always going to be those who "race to the bottom" in terms of price. The internet really exacerbates this- because many online sellers have no inventory, and nothing invested. In such a business model, a minuscule profit margin is all that's needed.....but in many cases ( just like with Earth Mined diamonds) "bottom feeder" sellers can not actually obtain the stones.

then- as with Earth mined diamonds, there's going to be stones that are just better than others.
First, of course, is cut.
But there's also the rarity of certain fancy colors.
Pink is much more difficult to achieve, as opposed to blue. then, most of the pink stones ill have orange- so a stone that is "pure" pink is going to cost more.

Another interesting aspect is how low can they possibly go?
There's a hard cost- of course much lower than for Earth mined stones- but definitely NOT zero. And we get back to the cutting..superior cutting costs more.
They have come down in price overe the past year...but I don't forsee them dropping further.

Your new diamonds are to die for! I signed up for your newsletter!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Where's that "blushing" emoji:)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think there will be a point where good quality lab stones will be more expensive, but there will be lesser known labs out of China and India that will produce cheaper stones. Almost two separate markets?

All I know is that I am very happy to have nabbed my dream lab Asscher when I did as they are getting harder to find and more expensive. I trawled for over a month on Rare Carat etc. and I noticed more and more Asschers were getting snapped up while I was still contemplating the purchase.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve noticed this, and was wondering if it was just an inventory issue following the holidays and/or slowed production due to Covid... I was trying like mad to find a stone from rare carat priced close to what someone here posted last summer - same size and similar specs/without sacrificing cut - but I couldn’t. Ended up paying around $500 more than that one I saw posted here, and there were several that were $1k more. Also a few times this happened- I would save a stone to my favorites and the next day the price was raised a couple hundred. My jeweler suggested I could wait a bit for prices to drop but I didn’t want to chance them doing the opposite and going even higher. Of course now that I’m getting one I don’t want prices to get too low so they retain some value

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the prices for Moissanites have bombed due to lab/MMD stones being more affordable and easier to obtain.

Just a general observation and not based on any objective evidence.

DK :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the prices for Moissanites have bombed due to lab/MMD stones being more affordable and easier to obtain.

Just a general observation and not based on any objective evidence.

Just curious which vendors for moissy have dropped in price?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious which vendors for moissy have dropped in price?

The bench that I use in China - their prices are lower than Etsy shop Golden Bird that is based in India, based on one stone, a 5ct heart cut Moissy that they sourced for me for a pendant.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bench that I use in China - their prices are lower than Etsy shop Golden Bird that is based in India, based on one stone, a 5ct heart cut Moissy that they sourced for me for a pendant.

link?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Kind of on topic.. We haven’t gotten mine insured yet, since we need a good appraisal! I am waiting for Jon to instruct as to how to go about finding a reputable appraiser for MMDs. I am afraid to get a “low ball” appraisal from someone who has no idea about the market or value. It’s interesting that the value seems to move all around.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
@AprilBaby
I also see the same pattern as well on rarecarat emerald cut. I keep seeing them being snapped up left and right. Prices are also going up.
You nudge me to make my purchase. I cannot wait to see it! :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
I think it's probably due to Valentines coming up. I noticed a spike in prices before Christmas, too. Long term it seems like lab diamond prices have nowhere to go but down...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results