shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab diamond or old cut Moissanite?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
When I inherited my mother-in-law’s wedding set we had the diamond removed and recut by BGD. We then set it in a pendant with my son’s birthstones surrounding it. I’ve hung onto the original setting and now I think I would like to set either a lab diamond or maybe a OEC cut Moissanite into it. It needs about a carat sized stone. Which do you think would look better? A modern cut round lab diamond or an OEC Moissanite? 0D18C9B7-9A70-44FB-95FA-2BA84BAE8ACA.jpeg 1AF8BDB7-A189-4A04-92D7-4A0FE2C51AB5.jpeg

Gemma10

Rough_Rock
When I inherited my mother-in-law’s wedding set we had the diamond removed and recut by BGD. We then set it in a pendant with my son’s birthstones surrounding it. I’ve hung onto the original setting and now I think I would like to set either a lab diamond or maybe a OEC cut Moissanite into it. It needs about a carat sized stone. Which do you think would look better? A modern cut round lab diamond or an OEC Moissanite? 0D18C9B7-9A70-44FB-95FA-2BA84BAE8ACA.jpeg 1AF8BDB7-A189-4A04-92D7-4A0FE2C51AB5.jpeg

Lab Diamond all the way, it’s an actual Diamond whereas mossianite is not and never looks like an actual Diamond, I find!
What a great idea! Cannot wait to see the final product!

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Depending on what your budget is, have you looked at Distinctive Gems custom cut heritage European cut lab diamonds? I’ve been eyeing some smaller ones for bevel set studs.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an old cut would look great in that setting and how sweet to do it. It depends on budget and what your eye likes to see, modern cut or antique cut?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I think an old cut would look great in that setting and how sweet to do it. It depends on budget and what your eye likes to see, modern cut or antique cut?

Oh I like both types. I’m leaning toward a lower color stone too. Probably not more than 1250 for the stone which is why it would have to be moissanite if I go with OEC cut.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on what your budget is, have you looked at Distinctive Gems custom cut heritage European cut lab diamonds? I’ve been eyeing some smaller ones for bevel set studs.

Would love that but those are way out of the budget. :)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm gonna say OEC moissanite. After binging on diamonds for the last two years, I'm curious about moissys now. I'm also fairly broke so thinking of getting a big OEC moissanite to feed my old cut appetite until I save up for a lab diamond OEC one day.

So it depends on your budget. You can get some great value 1ct lab diamond options for reasonably money, but if you just wanna fill the setting with something pretty, I'd say moissanite!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
How about... a Distinctive Gem OEC moissanite?

I want to vote OEC for this setting but so many vendors can’t cut a OEC moissanite properly. Jon’s moissanites are pricier but IMO are definitely the most diamond-like with crisp facets and no weird blurriness that sometimes moissanite stones can get.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
How about... a Distinctive Gem OEC moissanite?

I want to vote OEC for this setting but so many vendors can’t cut a OEC moissanite properly. Jon’s moissanites are pricier but IMO are definitely the most diamond-like with crisp facets and no weird blurriness that sometimes moissanite stones can get.

It’s an option. I just have to get over the mental block of spending that much on a Moissanite.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I spoke with Vijay from Ouros and he said he could do a lab diamond cut as an OEC within my budget. I asked if he had any past examples of an OEC lab diamond to see.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I spoke with Vijay from Ouros and he said he could do a lab diamond cut as an OEC within my budget. I asked if he had any past examples of an OEC lab diamond to see.

All I saw was this one -- https://www.etsy.com/listing/937384113/igi-certified-oec-round-diamond?ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1 -- and it looks like he's actually cutting what I'd call transitional cuts, although somewhat MORE shallow (I like a depth of 58-59%) and MORE table-y (prefer 59-61%) than the style I prefer. I've been training my eye lately. ;-) I wouldn't really call it an OEC, just based on proportions. BUT: this is the style of my engagement ring diamond, and a ring that's supposed to arrive today; I prefer it to OECs. It will be spready, that's for sure!

There is some PS lore that diamonds that are shallow with bigger tables perform better when prong-set than bezeled, so you're in good shape there. :)

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
All I saw was this one -- https://www.etsy.com/listing/937384113/igi-certified-oec-round-diamond?ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1 -- and it looks like he's actually cutting what I'd call transitional cuts, although somewhat MORE shallow (I like a depth of 58-59%) and MORE table-y (prefer 59-61%) than the style I prefer. I've been training my eye lately. ;-) I wouldn't really call it an OEC, just based on proportions. BUT: this is the style of my engagement ring diamond, and a ring that's supposed to arrive today; I prefer it to OECs. It will be spready, that's for sure!

There is some PS lore that diamonds that are shallow with bigger tables perform better when prong-set than bezeled, so you're in good shape there. :)

He sent me a video of what he was talking about and its beautiful. It may be more transitional but its still and older style of cut which I think will compliment these rings. :) Do you have pictures of your rings?

OECfan

Rough_Rock
He sent me a video of what he was talking about and its beautiful. It may be more transitional but its still and older style of cut which I think will compliment these rings. :) Do you have pictures of your rings?
I have videos of 3 ct and 4 ct OEC that Vijay cut for other clients - that is a good option if you don’t mind his shallower OEC/transitionals.
Here is one I shared with a Reddit sub with his permission: https://v.redd.it/zbgbggmkyct61/HLS...2ZWI3Mjc0YjU1NTE0ZjE3ZmRmYTVkMzI2OGMxYmJjYg==

OECfan

Rough_Rock
It’s an option. I just have to get over the mental block of spending that much on a Moissanite.
I get it, though at $642 for a 6.5mm I think that’s still a pretty good price for such a stunning precision cut stone. My DG OEC is definitely most diamond-like out of all my moissanites.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the video! I put a down payment to have a stone cut from him. I requested a lower color too.

Hope you’ll share pics of it when it’s done!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Of course!

Can't wait to see!! I missed your post above, but better late than never -- here's my 1.3ct transitional engagement ring and my new 0.7 shallow/biggish table round which tbh is not as "transitional" as I'd hoped from the JA video, more of a MRB with shortish lower halves. Lower halves on my 1.3ct weren't reported (EGL, sigh) but they're clearly shorter than the 0.7's. PXL_20210511_185616925.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the video! I put a down payment to have a stone cut from him. I requested a lower color too.

I am VERY excited to see how this turns out, btw, because I think a low-color transitional lab diamond would be the answer to "what am I going to set in a rose gold CvB Astrid??" which is a question that has been plaguing me for literally years. :lol:

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock

I have 1.50ctw HarroGem OEC Moissanite stud earrings by Love Affair Diamonds and I love them. The look like diamonds not Moissanite.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
He sent me a video asking if this color would be ok. This isn’t the diamond they would send me just an example of color. What do you think?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
He sent me a video asking if this color would be ok. This isn’t the diamond they would send me just an example of color. What do you think?

I don't think you can evaluate color well from that video, honestly. The brownish background and the lack of an anchoring skin tone make it hard to get a clear impression. I don't know whether he uses yellow-tint or brown-tint LG material, but you should ask, and I'd also ask for a photo from the side, table-down, backed by a white piece of paper, and one on a person's hand, face-up. And then add some warmth to what you see, and decide if you're ok with it. :) The other videos on the Etsy site, on a black background, are even LESS helpful than this one, hehe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results