shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Diamond from Tianyu Gems

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
More questions! Was this stone cut for you and you had to take your chances? Or did they have reports that you could browse through before committing? I'm guessing things are a little tricky returning overseas so I'm just wondering how the process worked. Thanks!

I could have done it either way, but I went with one that was already cut and had a report. I was lucky that they had something close to my desired specs in my price range.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t have assumed that an OEC would be so hard to recreate!

I figure it's either an exclusive contracting agreement for some designs (ie they may cut lab diamonds for another vendor that sells them) or a size issue. I asked them about a variety of cuts in <1ct size so that I could pick.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I figure it's either an exclusive contracting agreement for some designs (ie they may cut lab diamonds for another vendor that sells them) or a size issue. I asked them about a variety of cuts in <1ct size so that I could pick.
What I was told was they were having serious issues cutting it correctly and the cut results in a lot of waste material.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Emily mentioned that they are not doing any antique cuts currently.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve ordered quite a few Moissanite rings and stones from Tianyu and ended up selling them as I could tell it’s not a diamond. Does this stone really look like a diamond? I know it’s MMD - but are you truly happy with the stone? @mrsgreeneyes

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’ve ordered quite a few Moissanite rings and stones from Tianyu and ended up selling them as I could tell it’s not a diamond. Does this stone really look like a diamond? I know it’s MMD - but are you truly happy with the stone? @mrsgreeneyes

Yes! I absolutely love the stone and it looks just like a diamond, because it is one! I was having the same issue with moissanite, at a certain size the optics were not the same and it was bugging me. I still own plenty of moissanite pieces, but for my main stone I wanted a 2ct diamond. And since I have champagne taste on a beer budget, the lab diamond has been perfect for me. :)

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I absolutely love the stone and it looks just like a diamond, because it is one! I was having the same issue with moissanite, at a certain size the optics were not the same and it was bugging me. I still own plenty of moissanite pieces, but for my main stone I wanted a 2ct diamond. And since I have champagne taste on a beer budget, the lab diamond has been perfect for me. :)

Did they send you stone videos and the certificate to compare?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did they send you stone videos and the certificate to compare?

I did look at several of their stones before this one became available. I didn’t pull the trigger on the others because they either didn’t meet my color or carat criteria, and one was a very meh cut.

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
"Since I have champagne taste on a beer budget, the lab diamond has been perfect for me"

i have the same problem:lol::lol::lol:

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
Love it! Your combo looks perfect together
Tianyu started fabricating my ring today and I'm so excited!!

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
I wanted to go with them but the only ~2ct rounds they had scored very poorly on HCA and had crap crown angles

p224

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am very interested in knowing what the ordering process is for you as well! I am actually looking for almost the exact same thing, but when I contacted Tianyu they told me they didn't have anything in stock, but gave me quotes for a few different sizes.

Did they custom make/cut the diamond for you?
If so, did you pay or leave a deposit up front?
What would have happened if they did custom make for it, but you were not happy with the diamond they made? Are they willing to do it again, or are you committed to the first one they make?
I've asked Tianyu these questions but they didn't answer me properly, maybe its a language barrier but they just said I could get an IGI certificate if I wanted

I am worried that if I have them make a custom diamond for me and it turns out bad then I'm stuck with it

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am very interested in knowing what the ordering process is for you as well! I am actually looking for almost the exact same thing, but when I contacted Tianyu they told me they didn't have anything in stock, but gave me quotes for a few different sizes.

Did they custom make/cut the diamond for you?
If so, did you pay or leave a deposit up front?
What would have happened if they did custom make for it, but you were not happy with the diamond they made? Are they willing to do it again, or are you committed to the first one they make?
I've asked Tianyu these questions but they didn't answer me properly, maybe its a language barrier but they just said I could get an IGI certificate if I wanted

I am worried that if I have them make a custom diamond for me and it turns out bad then I'm stuck with it

I had the same exact issue. Essentially what I got from it was you are stuck with it unless you have a jeweler that proves it does not match the IGI, irregardless if you aren’t happy with it.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring!!

Peaceandsunshine

Rough_Rock
It is beautiful! I contacted her, but the prices I'm getting are similar to Yadav, so I'm not sure it is worth the hassle of going out of the country.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
@mrsgreeneyes - this is a gorgeous ring! I’ve read your review on Reddit. Thanks for being a pioneer, and putt all this information out here for the rest of us!

I am currently shopping for a 1.5- ish round 3ex lab diamond, and Tianyu is running a promotion right now. I’ve worked with Sophia in the past. She has shown me a couple of stones, some too small, too big, etc. One came available that is in the sweet spot for me. I would only be purchasing the diamond, not a setting. The price is good, a savings of $5-700 for a comparable diamond from US companies, some of which I’ve never heard of before.

Do you have any advice for me? I asked for a video and pictures of this one, but right now all I have is the report stats.

E79CCC16-36F9-4575-B332-3611BB98765D.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrsgreeneyes - this is a gorgeous ring! I’ve read your review on Reddit. Thanks for being a pioneer, and putt all this information out here for the rest of us!

I am currently shopping for a 1.5- ish round 3ex lab diamond, and Tianyu is running a promotion right now. I’ve worked with Sophia in the past. She has shown me a couple of stones, some too small, too big, etc. One came available that is in the sweet spot for me. I would only be purchasing the diamond, not a setting. The price is good, a savings of $5-700 for a comparable diamond from US companies, some of which I’ve never heard of before.

Do you have any advice for me? I asked for a video and pictures of this one, but right now all I have is the report stats.

To start, have you plugged the angles into the HCA calculator which you can find at the top of the PS page. I am mobile or I would run it through for you. That will tell you if the angles work together well.

ETA I would prefer a return policy even if I had to pay more for the reassurance but YMMV.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
To start, have you plugged the angles into the HCA calculator which you can find at the top of the PS page. I am mobile or I would run it through for you. That will tell you if the angles work together well.

ETA I would prefer a return policy even if I had to pay more for the reassurance but YMMV.

It’s got an HCA score of 1, according to its measurements. The only thing that came back was a slightly lower spread, but this size is plenty big for me.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It’s got an HCA score of 1, according to its measurements. The only thing that came back was a slightly lower spread, but this size is plenty big for me.

I'd be concerned that a CVD G is going to show more color than you might want. Can they send you photos on a white background, face down?

I have purchased stones from ADA Diamonds, and I found them to be relatively particular about what they represent for sale, if you're looking for a stateside vendor. You will pay more, of course. This particular vendor does offer a buyback, which is interesting.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

This looks really promising. Please keep us updated; I would love to see how the process goes!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock

Personally I’d pass on this as the crown is too high. Mine is high, too (35.5), but I think even mine was pushing it as I’ve read the recommended angle as 35 degrees maximum.

I also am hesitant with near colorless lab diamonds. While I prefer G over higher color grades I don’t like the idea of seeing my stone turn blue or brown in certain lighting. If they can provide a photo of the diamond on a white background as mentioned that can help.

Kickskid21

Rough_Rock
I ended up giving up on Tianyu after they kept sending shit cut stones and providing mediocre customer service. I just purchased my stone from Rhino @ Distinctive Gem and his level of customer service is unmatched. He answers every one of my annoying emails very promptly with full responses

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up giving up on Tianyu after they kept sending shit cut stones and providing mediocre customer service. I just purchased my stone from Rhino @ Distinctive Gem and his level of customer service is unmatched. He answers every one of my annoying emails very promptly with full responses

I’m glad you found what works for you! An engagement ring purchase definitely warrants the added expense and expertise. Many people on this forum enjoy jewlery as a hobby, don’t mind putting more time and energy into it, and want to maximize value on fun personal projects.

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
I’ve asked for video and photos on a white background. There’s a time difference with China, and it usually takes 18 hours or so before she responds. I’m not in a big hurry. I don’t use WhatsApp like some do, or rush projects. I’m taking my time shopping, and am pretty sure I’ll find the right stone at the right price with patience. If this one’s not right, they’re growing more

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results