shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Diamond Earrings Bought in the UK

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
I searched and searched to find non screwbacks within my price range. I understand what you mean!!

Yes, jewellers seem to obsessed with screw backs on UK side of the water - I have no idea why. People just assume they're more secure.

In terms of a low profile setting and a smooth post, they offer that at Vrai. But I didn't want the cost and complication of an overseas return if I wasn't happy - I've heard Vrai's diamonds often run with a slight brown tint. I don't mind warm diamonds on their own, but some of my key other pieces are very white and I don't want to end up with a mis-match.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
That's my concern. Luckily QVC have a generous return window so I'll give it a little longer, but I suspect you're right!

That's funny. I always wondered if the UK qvc had different products than the US....mine have normal clutch backs. I looked before purchasing to be sure.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
That's funny. I always wondered if the UK qvc had different products than the US....mine have normal clutch backs. I looked before purchasing to be sure.

You're correct, they do have different stock. The ones on the QVC US site have normal clutch posts and backs, and the UK versions all have screws.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
You're correct, they do have different stock. The ones on the QVC US site have normal clutch posts and backs, and the UK versions all have screws.

I guess it's like Chaz Dean has to formulate Wen differently for international sales than in the domestic US. ‍♀️

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate screw posts with a vengeance as the posts are normally too long for my liking, and I find them very fiddly, and not something I want to deal with after a tipsy night out before I go to bed! :lol-2:

How about getting cheapo White Gold semi-mount settings from the likes of eBay and Etsy, for the stones to be transferred by a local bench?

For example, a pair of 6-prong ones for 4mm stones in 14K gold can be had for 99 USD plus custom and import charges (allow 25% on top).

Finding a competent local bench to re-set the stones and at an affordable price would be a challenge.

I was charged quite a bit to have my 1.19ct bezel set EC in its original platinum setting to be reset into a new setting made by a bench in China by a local bench. The new setting was an air gap/line diamond halo in platinum, for the centre stone to be bezel-set.

The setting fee at the time was about 1/6 of the cost of the new setting back in 2015! Hopefully, it would be less for prong settings.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know what you mean, even though one seldom sees screwbacks in high street jewellers in UK.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
How about getting cheapo White Gold semi-mount settings from the likes of eBay and Etsy, for the stones to be transferred by a local bench?

I hadn't thought of that - definitely something to look into. We have a couple of very good benches in my nearest town, but I have a feeling they might double their setting fee to make up for the fact I'm not buying the mounts from them!

Last year I had a 52 point marquise set into a 9 carat white gold bezel pendant - the jewellery supplied/made the mount (no chain) and set the stone, for £435 all in which is about average going by the other quotes I got.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn't thought of that - definitely something to look into. We have a couple of very good benches in my nearest town, but I have a feeling they might double their setting fee to make up for the fact I'm not buying the mounts from them!

Last year I had a 52 point marquise set into a 9 carat white gold bezel pendant - the jewellery supplied/made the mount (no chain) and set the stone, for £435 all in which is about average going by the other quotes I got.

That's UK prices for you!

DK :roll2:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Try dipping the screwback post in a bit of Neosporin to slide it through your ear easier, this is a trick I heard from my jeweler and it worked well for my mom. I haven’t used the trick personally because screwbacks don’t irritate my ears. I agree that if they’re bothering you it will probably get worse not better, so I’d consider returning them if you’re still able.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lindsay19 I would strongly advise you to check with the bench if they would re-set client's stones in client-supplied settings first, and to get a quote in advance, before purchasing any semi-mounts, as not all benches would do that.

A simple 14K WG semi-mount for a 50pt Marquise in a pendant with prongs is about 25 USD from Bella Findings.

If your stone is not a standard size, and a mount has to be made from scratch e.g. for bezels, then it would cost more, of course.

Just an example why I have not bought anything significant jewellery wise in UK for years!

The bench that set my EC, replaced the 20pt stone I lost from a 3-stone ring, re-set in its bezel, checked and secure the other two stones if required, replated it, for 400 GBP over 7 years ago!

DK :roll2:

Try dipping the screwback post in a bit of Neosporin to slide it through your ear easier, this is a trick I heard from my jeweler and it worked well for my mom. I haven’t used the trick personally because screwbacks don’t irritate my ears. I agree that if they’re bothering you it will probably get worse not better, so I’d consider returning them if you’re still able.

This works! Any neomycin cream will work. You might find that just plain petroleum jelly does the job as well. Growing up my ears were very sensitive to thick posts so I used to dip in neomycin or petroleum jelly all the time. I did petroleum jelly on an everyday basis and neomycin when my ears got super sore or I had to wear heavy “grown up” earrings like for weddings (“had to” being my insistence that I wanted to wear grown up things like my mom did haha). They got used to it over time (I think it took around a year or two but I was around 6 so I don’t really remember) and now I can wear screwbacks without issue. Don’t sleep in your earrings until your ears are used to the screwbacks but wear them regularly to train your ears. I will say that it seems that some people are able to train their ears and some aren’t, so this may or may not work for you.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for the advice, I'll give the cream a go. The posts aren't thick and they go in and out quite easily. It's whilst they're in that I get the most discomfort. I lasted three hours yesterday before I had to get them out. I think I'll have to return them unfortunately.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
I've now had a couple of quotes, which were very similar. My favoured jeweller has quoted £630 all-in for very pretty low set 4 prong curved settings in either 18k white gold or platinum. They do a 6 prong version which is gorgeous but more expensive. Despite platinum being near enough the same cost as 18k gold just now, I think platinum will be too heavy on my earlobes - have others here found that to be the case?

If I go ahead these will become a very expensive pair of earrings, albeit with peace of mind versed against the possible pitfalls of an overseas purchase.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I've now had a couple of quotes, which were very similar. My favoured jeweller has quoted £630 all-in for very pretty low set 4 prong curved settings in either 18k white gold or platinum. They do a 6 prong version which is gorgeous but more expensive. Despite platinum being near enough the same cost as 18k gold just now, I think platinum will be too heavy on my earlobes - have others here found that to be the case?

If I go ahead these will become a very expensive pair of earrings, albeit with peace of mind versed against the possible pitfalls of an overseas purchase.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
My 1 ct pair shipped!!! Before my second pair of 0.25 ct did from JA even. Im seriously (like probably will) considering getting my ears pierced a 4th time today. So I could eventually have my 1 ct, my half ct, and both pairs of 0.25 cts in my ears.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
My 1 ct pair shipped!!! Before my second pair of 0.25 ct did from JA even. Im seriously (like probably will) considering getting my ears pierced a 4th time today. So I could eventually have my 1 ct, my half ct, and both pairs of 0.25 cts in my ears.

I'm really looking forward to your verdict on your new earrings. I'm in love with my stones, hence now leaning towards a costly re-set! I'm colour sensitive and QVC (and I think JA) use the whiter stones, whereas sellers like Vrai tend to sell the warmer ones - so I'm sticking with my current stones to play safe.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock

Definitely don't do this long term (more than a few days). Neosporin is highly allergenic, and you can become sensitized to it and react quite badly over time.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock

You got a great deal on the stones, so I think paying a bit to get them reset is a good option. Personally I would go with platinum because my skin is sensitive and I wouldn't want to worry about having an issue with the gold after spending all that money to get them reset.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
Definitely don't do this long term (more than a few days). Neosporin is highly allergenic, and you can become sensitized to it and react quite badly over time.

I didn't know that - thank you. Actually I'm not going to wear them again, they will either be returned or sent to the jeweller this week to be re-set (I'm now leaning towards the re-setting option).

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I'm really looking forward to your verdict on your new earrings. I'm in love with my stones, hence now leaning towards a costly re-set! I'm colour sensitive and QVC (and I think JA) use the whiter stones, whereas sellers like Vrai tend to sell the warmer ones - so I'm sticking with my current stones to play safe.

I can't wait! I'm not color sensitive for the most part, even though I can see the tints I l Iike warmer stones. But you're right, my JAs are in the F/G range. These are supposed to be G/Hish. If they're anything like the videos it will be fine because I think these cuts are supposed to be pretty good too. I have an I mrb solitaire that faces up much whiter because the cut is so good. I know it's different with studs, but I guess i need them to be mind clean. Lol

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
I held them next to my diamonique earrings of a similar size which are D colour, and I struggled to see any difference at all - they are whiter than my 0.37 each studs which are listed as being H. I think you'll be very happy with the colour.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I held them next to my diamonique earrings of a similar size which are D colour, and I struggled to see any difference at all - they are whiter than my 0.37 each studs which are listed as being H. I think you'll be very happy with the colour.

Thats good to know!! Mine should come weds and I'm off weds so ill be able to get them asap.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
This morning I dropped my earrings off at the jewellers to be re-set - I'll have them back in three to four weeks. The jeweller scrutinized the stones closely and was impressed (he is actually quite hard to impress). He was surprised at how natural the inclusions looked, and the absence of any clouds (I have no idea if lab diamonds suffer from clouding).

Looking forward to ThiaChelf getting her diamonds delivered this week!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning I dropped my earrings off at the jewellers to be re-set - I'll have them back in three to four weeks. The jeweller scrutinized the stones closely and was impressed (he is actually quite hard to impress). He was surprised at how natural the inclusions looked, and the absence of any clouds (I have no idea if lab diamonds suffer from clouding).

The lab stones are still a good buy, IMHO, after paying for the re-set fee.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
I think it will be worth it. More expensive than the other vendors, but they are nice stones and hassle free. I'm in the UK and they were on sale at £2000 ($2500). The reset will be an additional £630 ($790).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
I know - they'd better be good! :mrgreen2:

We do get stiffed in the UK. If I'd bought them from overseas I'd have to add on another 23% to cover VAT and Duties - still cheaper than the route I've taken but with the risk of soft grading and a very expensive return, and the misery of trying to claim back all the taxes. I took the low stress, but more costly option.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock

That's great! Can't wait to see your reset! My studs will be here tomorrow!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I know - they'd better be good! :mrgreen2:

We do get stiffed in the UK. If I'd bought them from overseas I'd have to add on another 23% to cover VAT and Duties - still cheaper than the route I've taken but with the risk of soft grading and a very expensive return, and the misery of trying to claim back all the taxes. I took the low stress, but more costly option.

I dont blame you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results