shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab created need opinions please

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I got into lab diamonds and just wanted your advice. Is a 1.39 ct round brilliant SI2 K colour and excellent cut worth buying for £1,316?
It seems like a good deal compared to similar ones in the shops here (although they are mined).

I wanted to set it into a yellow gold ring.

thanks for your time!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Septemberwedding -- ask the moderator to move your post to the Lab-Grown/Man-Made Diamonds forum:

To do that, click Report Concern at the bottom of your own post & type your request in the box that will then appear.

(This Rocky Talky forum is reserved for discussion of mined diamonds. Plus, the folks who frequent the Lab-Grown/Man-Made forum are more familiar with the pricing, sources, etc. of those diamonds.)

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
Hi, @Septemberwedding -- ask the moderator to move your post to the Lab-Grown/Man-Made Diamonds forum:

To do that, click Report Concern at the bottom of your own post & type your request in the box that will then appear.

(This Rocky Talky forum is reserved for discussion of mined diamonds. Plus, the folks who frequent the Lab-Grown/Man-Made forum are more familiar with the pricing, sources, etc. of those diamonds.)

Thank you! My apologies, I wasn’t aware of the other section.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lab diamonds are cheaper than otherwise similar mined diamonds. If you’re trying to identify a ‘bargain’, you need to be comparing to similar lab diamonds, not mined stones. It’s like saying bicycles are cheaper than cars. They are, but it’s not very important information if you’re shopping for a bike

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

I got into lab diamonds and just wanted your advice. Is a 1.39 ct round brilliant SI2 K colour and excellent cut worth buying for £1,316?
It seems like a good deal compared to similar ones in the shops here (although they are mined).

I wanted to set it into a yellow gold ring.

thanks for your time!

Check out the 'List of MMD seller' thread in this section of the forum - there are a few options on there that may detail prices on comparable stones.

Ritani has been very helpful and have their total price for a stone broken down into their costs, fulfilment costs and their profit, so it's easier to understand where comparable stones might be priced more highly.

Prices for MMD are all over the place, though - there is no central repository (like the Mined stone Search Bar at the top of this forum, or the Rapaport trade price lists used by retailers etc.) so it is up to us as consumers to fully check out all the available options (unfortunately).

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help everyone. Money aside, do those specs sound ok?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need more than just colour and clarity and carat weight and cost to assess an MRB stone ;-)

We need the angles off the grading report so we can use the HCA tool, in order to understand if the angles will work together, and also an ASETscope image if possible. :)

I will say, though, SI2 clarity can be risky - we'd need to see a clarity plot / pictures / videos, and know what the report says in the inclusions section.

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
We need more than just colour and clarity and carat weight and cost to assess an MRB stone ;-)

We need the angles off the grading report so we can use the HCA tool, in order to understand if the angles will work together, and also an ASETscope image if possible. :)

I will say, though, SI2 clarity can be risky - we'd need to see a clarity plot / pictures / videos, and know what the report says in the inclusions section.

Ah ok I see! I’ve linked the website. (Sorry if that’s not allowed)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me and brings me to the homepage. Can you post a pic of the certificate information?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Webpage didn't work for me either but then it did! Weird.

They've included a link to the grading report on the webpage:

REPORT NUMBER - LG350807049
REPORT CITY DATE - ANTWERP, February 14, 2019
DESCRIPTION - LABORATORY GROWN DIAMOND
SHAPE AND CUT - ROUND BRILLIANT
CARAT WEIGHT - 1.39 Carat
COLOR GRADE - K
CLARITY GRADE - SI 2
CUT GRADE - EXCELLENT
POLISH - VERY GOOD
SYMMETRY - EXCELLENT
Measurements - 7.20 - 7.23 x 4.42 mm
Table Size - 57%
Crown Height - 13.5% - 31.8°
Pavilion Depth - 44% - 41.5°
Girdle Thickness - MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet - POINTED
Total Depth - 61.3%
FLUORESCENCE - NONE
COMMENTS - This Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) laboratory grown diamond is classified as Type IIa.
LASERSCRIBE - LABGROWN IGI LG350807049

I've not run the angles/percentages through the HCA tool but the crown angle is very low, at under 32 degrees.

It looks like it would score GIA XXX (!!) if I'm reading this table correctly:

so it appears that the crown and pavilion angle will work at least reasonably well together, but with a crown that low, it will be likely to have a lot more white light than coloured 'fire'.

I'm not sure PS members would ever recommend the stone based on those angles alone.

I'm also not sure about the clarity. The 360 image/video on the webpage is of a similar diamond :rolleyes: so not the diamond you are looking at, and the grading report clarity plot shows something (not indicated what it is) right in the middle of the table - which in an SI2 is highly likely to be visible and the stone, therefore, not be eye-clean.

Personally speaking, then... I don't think I'd go ahead with the stone.

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help@ooohshiny. I think I was blinded by the size rather than quality

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info about the stone @OoohShiny ! I would pass on this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results