shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab created gemstones

Tammy Gallagher

Rough_Rock
I was being kind of snooty about the idea of buying a lab created sapphire, but when I saw that Gene Flanagan will custom cut a lab created gemstone, I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad that I did! This stone sparkles even under the clouds of the Pacific NW. It is just the color that I wanted and he cut it to exactly the right size to fit into my existing setting. No one should think twice about buying a lab created gemstone as long as it is precision cut by Gene.
2431-2.jpeg IMG_4135.JPG

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Concur that lab CSs are great!

I have four so far: an emerald cut Emerald by Jeff White; a cushion Paraiba YAG and a medium blue Asscher Sapphire by Gary of Finewater Gems; and another Paraiba YAG in emerald cut (can't remember the name of lapidary artist).

DK :))

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I bought some random lab gemstones from an online store, and found none of them lit a fire in my heart.

Then I purchased a lab stone from a named lapidary, and I was amazed how much I loved it. I really think there's something to lab stones from actual people. It comes with it a lovely 'craftsperson' type feel :)

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful sapphire! Glad you came around! I am pro-lab stones all the way. Clean and sparkly is what I aspire to, which to me means lab stones can't be beat! Most affordable natural stones have inclusions (which a lot of people like because it adds character), but getting a super clean stone for a fraction of the cost of the equivalent natural stone was what hooked me.

I have a natural blue sapphire and pair of natural emerald studs. They were far more expensive than my lab stones but they look really dull and lifeless in comparison. I hardly wear them.

Also I have to say that precision cutting makes a world of difference in either natural or lab stones.
I bought a precision cut amethyst not expecting much because amethysts are known for their low RI. Well the sparkle blew me away, which I attribute to cut.
Precision cut + lab rough = match made in heaven :razz:
Enjoy your new ring!!!

Smith1001

Rough_Rock
Wow beautiful :kiss2: is it blue sapphire color 3 or 4?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m pretty excited. I‘ve been looking to find a blue gray sapphire without luck. It has to fit in a very low profile setting that was set with my engagement diamond... I‘ve been looking for a full year. The problem was the depth had to be in the shallow size for a gem. Someone on here recommend Stag and Finch for lab stones. They had a blue gray lab sapphire option. I’m going to get it cut in the sirius faceting I like.. It will be done the end of January..early February..:appl:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I’m pretty excited. I‘ve been looking to find a blue gray sapphire without luck. It has to fit in a very low profile setting that was set with my engagement diamond... I‘ve been looking for a full year. The problem was the depth had to be in the shallow size for a gem. Someone on here recommend Stag and Finch for lab stones. They had a blue gray lab sapphire option. I’m going to get it cut in the sirius faceting I like.. It will be done the end of January..early February..:appl:

Yay! I hope you love it! They do such a great job!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

Keen to see pics when you get it! I've been admiring the Stag and Finch website for ages, but haven't seen enough examples on here for me to be brave enough to pull the trigger. Is the colour you're going for listed on the site? Is it the arctic blue or the periwinkle?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keen to see pics when you get it! I've been admiring the Stag and Finch website for ages, but haven't seen enough examples on here for me to be brave enough to pull the trigger. Is the colour you're going for listed on the site? Is it the arctic blue or the periwinkle?

@emeraldhummingbird I chose the blue-gray color. I wrestled with getting the colors you mentioned... They’re so pretty...but I wanted the blue-gray color for a long time. I just went for it. I’m a pastels person so I think this color will be nice for me.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
@emeraldhummingbird I chose the blue-gray color. I wrestled with getting the colors you mentioned... They’re so pretty...but I wanted the blue-gray color for a long time. I just went for it. I’m a pastels person so I think this color will be nice for me.

Oh!!! There's a blue-gray YAG on the site now, that's new!! Very exciting. I think it will be lovely :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My lab blue-gray sapphire will be finished next week from Stag and Finch! This will go into a setting that I had made for my engagement ring. It swallowed my diamond so I reset that. I think the blue-gray sapphire will look pretty in the setting! If I like it I may get another one custom cut..if he does that..for my halo diamond cushion setting. I’ll post photos as soon as I get it. I really enjoy seeing everyones rich saturated color gems..but I like pale soft colors. Just a warning before I show pics! Haha :appl:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My lab blue-gray sapphire will be finished next week from Stag and Finch! This will go into a setting that I had made for my engagement ring. It swallowed my diamond so I reset that. I think the blue-gray sapphire will look pretty in the setting! If I like it I may get another one custom cut..if he does that..for my halo diamond cushion setting. I’ll post photos as soon as I get it. I really enjoy seeing everyones rich saturated color gems..but I like pale soft colors. Just a warning before I show pics! Haha :appl:

Ahh! I am so excited to see what it looks like! Did you pick the periwinkle or the Arctic blue?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh! I am so excited to see what it looks like! Did you pick the periwinkle or the Arctic blue?

I picked the blue gray. I may get one of those two for the larger cushion one I need to set!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I picked the blue gray. I may get one of those two for the larger cushion one I need to set!

So you picked the lightest one? Not the medium or the dark right? Darn. All the rings I have seen by them are pretty much the light shade lol. Mine was supposed to be the lightest blue but I ended up with a between shade. Trying to decide if I want to replace it with the light shade I wanted or a royal blue for my 7th anniversary. I just worry about the light shade turning more purple than the one I already own does in yellow/orange light.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow My lab sapphire is finished from Stag & Finch! It’s gorgeous! I like the Sirius faceting but not the points so he rounded them out.
40B90375-ED34-48E8-B30B-90208CFB340B.jpeg

Oh wow! That looks amazing! I can't wait to see your hand shots! It's going to look gorgeous on you! I had no idea he would do that on the points! I'm going to ask him to do that when we buy for my pendant in a couple more years! I picked his Etoile because it was the most smooth of his rounds. This looks even better!! I'm drooling! I forget did you already tell us what you'll set it in?? :D

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! That looks amazing! I can't wait to see your hand shots! It's going to look gorgeous on you! I had no idea he would do that on the points! I'm going to ask him to do that when we buy for my pendant! I picked his Etoile because it was the most smooth of his rounds. This looks even better!! I'm drooling! I forget did you already tell us what you'll set it in?? :D

Thanks @MeowMeow! I have a tapered baguette setting had my engagement diamond in it. The setting is so pretty I decided to still use it and get a sapphire for it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @MeowMeow! I have a tapered baguette setting had my engagement diamond in it. The setting is so pretty I decided to still use it and get a sapphire for it.

Ooh yay! Maybe I am biased. Ahem. But I think that will be gorgeoussss!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

Your sapphire is beautiful. I love the faceting of this stone. Please post once you get it set. Bryan does such good work!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your sapphire is beautiful. I love the faceting of this stone. Please post once you get it set. Bryan does such good work!

Thank you @swaye2010 He was supposed to send me a link to tracking but he didn’t. I’m waiting for the stone so I can ship it together with my bangle. I don’t want to make two trips into FedEx. I can’t wait to see it. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary had 2 gorgeous lab Ruby listed on his site recently, now sold, and I hope they have been snapped up by PSers.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I forgot he’s located in Canada. It is scheduled to be here on the 16th..Ugh

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot he’s located in Canada. It is scheduled to be here on the 16th..Ugh

Yeah - it takes it about 2 weeks. I think the tracking started once it hit the US.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I’m dying to get it!

I hate to threadjack but I have nowhere else to ask you. Do you still love your Asscher baguette setting? Trying to figure out what to do with an Asscher I picked up. Either baguettes or round halo like my avatar. Just curious....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to threadjack but I have nowhere else to ask you. Do you still love your Asscher baguette setting? Trying to figure out what to do with an Asscher I picked up. Either baguettes or round halo like my avatar. Just curious....

Sorry @swaye2010! I didn’t see this until just now. I love the setting..It’s gorgeous...That said...It‘s too big for me...I don’t wear large right hand rings...I have to wear it on my left hand...I think I would have held out for a larger asscher and did a simpler setting. It’s so gorgeous...but doesn’t fit my lifestyle. I haven’t decided what to do with it yet because every time I take it out to wear I’m mesmerized by it...I basically don’t have any place to wear a ring that big. I know that sounds crazy.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My lab sapphire from Stag & Finch reached my local post office! I hope to get it tomorrow! David already has my old setting so he can set it when I mail it. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results