shape
carat
color
clarity

L colored diamond in rose or yellow gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I am leaning towards getting an L colored OEC, and I cannot decide whether to set it in yellow gold or rose gold. Are there any pros or cons I should consider? I am not setting it in yellow or rose gold to disguise the color--I like more yellow diamonds. I want it in yellow or rose gold because I like the warmer look.

Rose gold would be a very unique look, but I want to make sure it would look good with my stone. It''s hard to find pictures of rose gold rings period, let alone with an L colored diamond! I like yellow gold, and I think it would be gorgeous. But, sometimes it can look dated (though, I am getting a rather vintage styled ring either way).

So, gimme your input! What would you do?
26.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, it might depend on the setting design. Do you have a picture of what you are thinking?

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
It is this setting (From etsy seller Heart of Water Jewels). Shown, obviously, in 18K yellow gold. I am not 100 percent sure if she works in rose gold, but I have asked her (no answer yet), and another poster said that she did work in rose gold. I was going to just get my original e-ring stone re-set (also an OEC), but, I am leaning towards upgrading to a new stone (the L colored OEC).

il_430xN.60372757.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 4:16:36 PM
Author: soycoffee
It is this setting (From etsy seller Heart of Water Jewels). Shown, obviously, in 18K yellow gold. I am not 100 percent sure if she works in rose gold, but I have asked her (no answer yet), and another poster said that she did work in rose gold. I was going to just get my original e-ring stone re-set (also an OEC), but, I am leaning towards upgrading to a new stone (the L colored OEC).
Ooooh, what a lovely setting! I think either would look pretty, but I guess my preference would be rose gold since the setting is so feminine and delicate.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think either would be really pretty-and I''d been tossing the idea around w/that same setting, so will be looking forward to seeing the finished product! Sally does such amazing work! I think tho, that I''d agree w/kcoursolle w/the rose gold. W/a warmer stone I think it would look awesome! Sally got a bunch of requests for rose gold from here and I do recall reading in Jewelry Pieces that she was going to start working w/it!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input so far! She really does do lovely work. I guess I am surprised that other people would like it in rose gold just because rose gold seems to scarce...aka possibly unpopular. I think it is really pretty though (but, what gold isn''t!?)

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think you should go with classic yellow gold. Or if you do want something a bit more unique, use a slightly more coppery gold alloy. You can give gold a slight rosier look without making it full out rose gold.

Pink gold is somewhat fashionable now, and I feel it doesn't have the enduring style of that classic gold has. Also pink is usually harder to work into most outfits, and match with other jewelry.

Warmer colored diamonds set in yellow gold are a sure fire winning combination. Warmer colors in pink gold, not so sure.

If you work with a good jeweler or goldsmith they can adjust the alloy tone however you like. I like the look of more coppery or darker looking gold. It doesn't always have to be bright yellow. You can adjust the mix of copper and silver to get many different hues and tones.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re set on that particular ring, can you send the stone to her and have her take pictures of it in each to see which you like best? I''m not sure how that works, if it would be a possibility or not.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I don't think she pre-fabricates the settings, so I don't really think that would work, unless I wanted to buy two and change them up!
1.gif

diamond explorer--good insights! Makes me even more torn. There are too many options

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks soycoffee,

Good Luck with your search. Feel free to pick my brain any time!
26.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 4:41:14 PM
Author: Diamond Explorer
I think you should go with classic yellow gold. Or if you do want something a bit more unique, use a slightly more coppery gold alloy. You can give gold a slight rosier look without making it full out rose gold.

Pink gold is somewhat fashionable now, and I feel it doesn''t have the enduring style of that classic gold has. Also pink is usually harder to work into most outfits, and match with other jewelry.

Warmer colored diamonds set in yellow gold are a sure fire winning combination. Warmer colors in pink gold, not so sure.

If you work with a good jeweler or goldsmith they can adjust the alloy tone however you like. I like the look of more coppery or darker looking gold. It doesn''t always have to be bright yellow. You can adjust the mix of copper and silver to get many different hues and tones.
Jonathan, I was wondering....I have often mulled this one over, would it be possible to create a slight but definite pink tint to white metal? As in this type of pink?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everyone!
I agree with some of what Jonathan has written- but not all.
For example- getting a jeweler to bring out the subtle differences between pink and yellow gold is not all that easy.
In fact, some of the pink gold I see being sold doesn''t really have a good color at all.
I don''t know that a lot of fabricators will be able to make these subtle changes for one piece.
Lorelei- I''d really be interested to see if that color''s possible...but I doubt it.....

We do alot of work in pink gold, and find it to be timeless, when used correctly.
For us, it''s been a learning process.
For example, we''ve found that , generally, 14kt pink makes for a pinker color than 18kt pink.

Believe it or not, the radiant in the center of this ring was graded L ( albeit faint brown) by GIA- the rose gold we used for the head, well- you can see the results.

We''ve also set yellows in pink- I''ll try and find a photo for you.

R2620.JPG

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Lorelei,

Pink golds come in quite a few but well established alloy formulas. But are you asking if its possible create a pink tone to white metals like Platinum and Palladium?

I haven''t seen anything like this done before.

I would have to research this and probably conduct some experimentation to know for sure if its even possible. My insticts tell me that you could add a bit of copper and maybe some other stabalizing metals to give platinum or palladium a rosie tint. Mixtures with copper probably would yield a slight pink tone. This mixture probably wouldn''t be quite as strong as standard alloys all things considered, but if the stock is forged and rolled you could probably create some very impressive and durable pieces from rose palladium. Definitely something to consider though!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your L colour is leaning towards yellow then I''d opt for yellow gold for all the reasons that Jonathan has stated. Rose gold is fashionable now but it can look cheap and nasty if not done well. Some rose gold is very much over the top and dominates. Your lovely old diamond needs to take centre stage - not the setting.

I love David''s picture above but I think that that particular diamond is very unique in colouring and the rose gold has really picked out the pink in the stone and almost eliminated the brown. I would think this is highly unusual. Look how subtle the rose gold is on the setting though - it''s a master class in how to get rose gold right without it dominating.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi David,

It would be interesting to see if this could be done!

Jonathan - thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, I am asking if it is possible to add a distinct pink tone to a white metal such as platinum or palladium. It would be great if it is possible!
30.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! The thought and the process of changing and adjusting the color of the gold is mind blowing to me. I would love to hear all about it. That is one of the most amazing and interesting things I have ever read about on here. I would love to see an ongoing thread devoted to it complete with pictures. Oh and I agree with you Soycoffee warm diamonds are lovely and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thank you for the info!

Mrs.2Artists

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have to admit- I am a dedicated Rose Gold lover- but I can see what LD is talking about- some of the rose gold I've seen around was not all that nice.
Still, when it is done right, WOW!

The photo was a men's bracelet we did in all pink gold.
I also LOVE the Pink Gold Rolex.

Lorelei- I'll be watching with great interest to see what Jonathan comes up with- I do not believe such a shade of metal is possible- but of course, anything is possible!
Part of my thought process on this has to do with all I've seen in Pink Gold- if such a pink shade was possible , I feel quite sure that manufacturers would already be using it.

Remember, the word "pink" is not all that descriptive when it comes to a color of metal.
Many pink gold's are very similar to yellow gold....

In terms of asking for a very particular color from a jeweler....has anyone been able to do that with success?

r2945aps.jpg

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think the yellow gold would look beautiful with your L
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all, for your input!

And, David--thanks for the great pictures. Rose gold is really just stunning when done right.

I am sure Heart of Water Jewels would do a great job, and I have emailed her to see if she has pictures that would show the tone of rose gold she uses, just so I can compare it to the yellow gold pieces she does.

I'm not usually a "pink" person, but I love rose gold. And, as my e-ring is the only jewelry I wear besides earrings, I am not worried about it matching clothing or other jewelry, etc. I care more about the individual piece. That said, yellow gold would look so nice and classic. I think I am still really torn! ARGHH!!!!

Thanks for all the spirited metal color commentary
37.gif
THere seem to be endless possibilities!

I'm attaching a picture of the diamond if that inspires any more commentary on the subject...
1.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Here it is (1.02 carat OEC, L color, VS1 clarity)

Lcoloreddiamond0719.jpg

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
I''d go for rose gold (pending pics) just because:

1) It is so unique
2) It would add to the "vintage-ness" of your OEC
3) Seeing a pic, I think the rose gold would bring out the warmth more than the yellow. I think the yellow would make it look more yellow vs. just looking warm.

Just my $.02!~
41.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Hm...I never thought about what type of yellow or warmth it would bring out. I''d appreciate any more opinions on that factor...of course!

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey All,

Again I think the color of the gold plays in here. A bright yellow 14K might not be the best. Perhaps something in between yellow and rose? With even parts silver to copper.

I also looked a bit into pink white metals. I have conflicting sources on this issue, but I have heard of platinum alloys with copper, I read that 960/40 Pt/Cu is used in certain places in the world. But platinum and palladium are so white that you would need to have significant amounts of copper to alter the color much. Traditional platinum or palladium purities of 900 or 950 wouldn''t be enough. A higher amount of copper would be required. I might try 750/250 Pd/Cu in a small batch just to see the tone. I will definitely look more into this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 1:45:13 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
Hey All,

Again I think the color of the gold plays in here. A bright yellow 14K might not be the best. Perhaps something in between yellow and rose? With even parts silver to copper.

I also looked a bit into pink white metals. I have conflicting sources on this issue, but I have heard of platinum alloys with copper, I read that 960/40 Pt/Cu is used in certain places in the world. But platinum and palladium are so white that you would need to have significant amounts of copper to alter the color much. Traditional platinum or palladium purities of 900 or 950 wouldn''t be enough. A higher amount of copper would be required. I might try 750/250 Pd/Cu in a small batch just to see the tone. I will definitely look more into this.
That would be great Jonathan, would be really interesting to see if it could be done!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna have to say yellow - it just looks so classic and pretty with that setting, plus it''s what Sally does 99% of her work in.
She is starting to use RG, but something to consider - its a diff. alloy with different properties when creating jewellery (so I''ve read),
and she has not worked with it much yet.
I love Sally and her work and know she would never turn out anything but a high quality product, but I just feel like she has
perfected this setting in the YG
5.gif

Plus it will complement your L
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results