shape
carat
color
clarity

Kroshka - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SomethingClassic

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking here for a while trying to get some e-ring ideas for my GF and I really like your antique cut cushion.

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help me with:
1) Is the antique cut cushion much different from a new cushion cut diamond?
2) Do you think this setting would look as good with a smaller stone? I can''t go for 5 ct. - I was thinking 1.5-2.5 ct.
3) Do you have any recommendations for a jeweler who could recreate this ring, with a few modifications? I have looked at Leon M''s work and think he might be a good candidate but I am curious if others have better ideas.

Also a little about my GF:
She is really into antique/vintage stuff and I want to get her something that has character and doesn''t look like a modern e-ring. She has dropped a couple of hints at Edwardian/Art Deco style rings and while I think they are nice, I want to go a little more classic/understated but still with character. I think your ring fits that description perfectly and would love to know what your thoughts are.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS! I haven''t seen a post from Kroshka in a while so I don''t know whether you will hear from her. I do have a little info, however, on her ring and also a few pointers.

First, I am almost certain that she got her ring from Single Stone (SS) in LA. They have a great website link and there have been several posts about their excellent craftsmanship and customer service. You might plug the name into the search box and do a little research.

There are also several threads on these forums about antique cushions. I recently posted this where several of our helpful PS''rs posted some links to previous threads and videos about antique cushions. There are several different styles of cushions, antique and modern, which are sometimes described by their facet patterns. Sometimes you will find the general term Old Mine Cut or OMC used here to describe antique cushions. There are also some gorgeous new stones, cut in the antique style but with fantastic light performance, by Good Old Gold (GOG) that are called August Vintage Cushions (AVC). Many people love their sparkle and often set them in vintage style settings.

There are several vendors, in addition to SS and GOG, who specialize in antique stones. Jewels by Erica Grace (JBEG) gets rave reviews here and they are known for their beautiful jewelry and personal service. Also, Mark at Engagement Rings Direct (ERD) is well known in these parts for searching out lovely cushions. Hopefully, others will chime in to add other vendors.

Lastly, I find that the Rocky Talk forum gets the most traffic so don''t hesitate to post there. You''ll get lots of good info.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
something classic-ditto all the above. check out the"sophie" ring by jewels by erica grace (JBEG).There are a number of threads about it if you search PS. I think that setting is just what you''re looking for. I also suggest having the mods move your thread to Rocky talk-there are lots of cushion buffs who will like to help you. (not sure if kroshka is still an active member).

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2010 12:02:46 PM
Author:SomethingClassic
I have been lurking here for a while trying to get some e-ring ideas for my GF and I really like your antique cut cushion.

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help me with:
1) Is the antique cut cushion much different from a new cushion cut diamond?
2) Do you think this setting would look as good with a smaller stone? I can''t go for 5 ct. - I was thinking 1.5-2.5 ct.
3) Do you have any recommendations for a jeweler who could recreate this ring, with a few modifications? I have looked at Leon M''s work and think he might be a good candidate but I am curious if others have better ideas.

Also a little about my GF:
She is really into antique/vintage stuff and I want to get her something that has character and doesn''t look like a modern e-ring. She has dropped a couple of hints at Edwardian/Art Deco style rings and while I think they are nice, I want to go a little more classic/understated but still with character. I think your ring fits that description perfectly and would love to know what your thoughts are.
Hi SomethingClassic,

Sorry I didn''t reply sooner - I just saw your post
5.gif
I''ll try my best to answer your questions.

1. Yes antique cushion cuts are different from modern cushion cut patterns. Do you want an actual old antique cut diamond or a diamond that is new but cut to look like an antique stone? There are so many different styles of cushion cuts as Gayletmom mentioned. Check this link out where Cehrabehra posted a nice collage photo of several different cushion cut patterns: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-cushion-experts-cehra-question-on-chart.60734/ . I think this would be helpful for you to see. There are also other antique cuts to consider like old mine cuts (OMC) and old european cuts (OEC) as well as transitional cuts. I myself would love to have at least one of each of these.

2. I personally think the setting would look good with a 2-2.5ct. Of course it would need to be appropriately scaled for your size stone, and Singlestone would be the best place to ask since they created the setting.

3. If you really love this particular setting, you should contact Ari at Singlestone. I would think that it would be possible to incorporate any modifications you are looking for, but since that is a design question, they would be able to answer on what can and can''t be done. Having purchased items from Leon before as well, I have to say both vendors make beautiful handmade pieces, but the 2 vendors are different in how they work and the overall styles are different too. Singlestone specializes in antique stones with or without settings (settings may be actual antiques and others are made by them). My setting was made by them and not an existing antique mounting. If you want to work with Leon, most likely it would be best that you find your stone and then discuss design options with him unless he has an existing piece that you want as is.

As Gayletmom also mentioned, JBEG seems to carry a nice selection of antique stones as well. While I have not purchased from them before, I would not hesitate to do so in the future. They definitely have a lot of pretty eyecandy. One more place you might want to check out when looking for an antique cushion stone is Old World Diamonds (oldworlddiamonds.com). Other Pricescopers have purchased stones from them before and have been quite happy. Just realize that with antique cuts it is important to see them with your own eyes . Beauty is really on a stone by stone basis and eye of the beholder.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Kroshka

SomethingClassic

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the quick responses and advice - it is very helpful. I am going to take a look at the places people listed above and if I come up with more questions I will let you know.

I really appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results