shape
carat
color
clarity

Kretchmer vs. Gelin/Abaci

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I remember reading that Steven Kretchmer believes that G/A stole his methods and techniques for the tension (compression, really) setting. Seems like he was very bitter about it.

Has anybody heard if they went to court or settled out of court? Maybe Kretchmer found out that his rights weren''t as exclusive as he thought or maybe it''s bogged down in the courts.

I''ve been wondering about this for quite some time and am curious if anyone has their ear to the ground on this one. Every time I read a question here about Gelin and Abaci I think about how Kretchmer wants them to stop selling his ideas (especially at such a discount
1.gif
).

R/A

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
(Edited, I was being naughty about a different topic.
1.gif
)

I actually have a lot of respect for Kretchmer, apparently he's an innovator who has developed alloys that cleverly solve specific problems, and actually sells various sorts of platinum blends to the trade.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
I'm really not sure what the deal is between Kretchmer and GAI with all this legal stuff (aside from that age old story of two partners who split ways, and therefore run competing businesses).

I would think, however, that if Kretchmer had any legit legal basis for going after GAI he would have - and GAI would have no choice but to change their product or quit selling it. GAI is doing business, and is not hiding their products, so I can't imagine there is any current legitimate legal issues.

It also seems weird to me that Kretchmer would be able to trademark a concept that was actually created in Germany (I think). I can understand trademarking alloy blends - which he does - but GAI also uses some top secret alloy mixture (they wouldn't tell me what) so that their rings are also durable and can hold the tension.

Yes, some of their rings are very similar - but isn't that like the Tiffany-style ring and every other company's version of it? Maybe Kretchmer is the Tiffany of the tension world - unfortunately I read some of the old archives on tension settings and saw a response or two from Kretchmer that were incredibly pompous, which turned me away from the Kretchmer line entirely.

If Kretchmer was going to go after GAI shouldn't he also go after Neissing? They also sell tension rings that are similar to Kretchmer, and I believe they were doing it prior to Kretchmer (though I might be totally wrong about that).

Anyway, there's my two cents... clearly I am a GAI girl!

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
That thread was back in the day when DT had plenty of pros and really good info was passed around. Steven never did post again.[/u]

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2003 9:44:37 PM
Author:Rank Amateur
Every time I read a question here about Gelin and Abaci I think about how Kretchmer wants them to stop selling his ideas (especially at such a discount
1.gif
).

You''re right, the price difference is really quite significant... They do sell relatively different styles of settings, though, IMHO (and from the Kretchmers I''ve seen).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results