shape
carat
color
clarity

Know a good source for Imperial Jade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mtrader

Rough_Rock
Hi All, I love this forum where we can all discuss the pieces we own. I have recently became very interested in collecting
mogok rubies (more than 2.5 C) and imperial jade... I just love the fiery color (for mogok rubies) and gem like lustre (for imperial jade).
I know they are hugely xpensive but does anyone know a reasonable supplier? I would love to own some as an investment item.

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Hi Mtrader,

If I were lucky enough to have the funds to get a truly magnificent piece of Imperial Jade I''d go to Mason Kay.

http://www.masonkay.com/

They are wholesale only so you may need to work through one of the listed retailers. Resin impregnated and dyed jadeite masquerading as Imperial is rampant -- either get a GIA or AGTA cert on a piece you intend to buy, or buy from a company of the stature of MK.

Barbara

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 12:15:44 PM
Author: Barbara
Hi Mtrader,

If I were lucky enough to have the funds to get a truly magnificent piece of Imperial Jade I''d go to Mason Kay.

http://www.masonkay.com/

They are wholesale only so you may need to work through one of the listed retailers. Resin impregnated and dyed jadeite masquerading as Imperial is rampant -- either get a GIA or AGTA cert on a piece you intend to buy, or buy from a company of the stature of MK.

Barbara
I second that entire statement. If you buy a piece of beautiful jadeite without a GIA or AGTA cert, you must assume it is "B" Jade (polymer impregnated) at best, or "C" jade (dyed) or even "B/C" Jade (dyed and impregnated), and pay a comensurate price.

"B" jade is difficult to identify conclusively except by the best equipped labs. As a result many vendors will not be forthcoming about the treatment, or may not even know.

But a fine piece of natural jade is really something to be treasured. Good luck in your quest.

mtrader

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advise! Do you know the ballpark price p/carat for imperial jade? Untreated and yes it is so hard to buy jade when it is all treated these days. Other than to buy it off the mines but even so, those coming out from the rough are awful quality even in Burma. Wish I could steal Ne Win''s gate lol!

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 11:17:19 PM
Author: mtrader
Thank you for the advise! Do you know the ballpark price p/carat for imperial jade? Untreated and yes it is so hard to buy jade when it is all treated these days. Other than to buy it off the mines but even so, those coming out from the rough are awful quality even in Burma. Wish I could steal Ne Win''s gate lol!
Impossible to say. One person''s "imperial" is another person''s "apple". Depends on the color, translucency, size of the stone. it is sold by the piece and not normally by the carat. There is top quality untreated material in the market, just make sure you are dealing with a solid company that will provide you the appropriate documentation if you are paying for natural gem quality material.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 11:17:19 PM
Author: mtrader

mtrader - I do not know a good source for jade anymore, there used to be a jeweler in LA chinatown my family used to frequent, but in any case, I *personally* believe that the best (and only) imperial jade I have seen is all antique, and is not priced by the carat, because much of the value of a piece may come from the delicate carving of it, not just the size/weight... certain animals/flowers/fruits/etc.. have meaning and so it is much more of an artistic piece than just a simple $$ value.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/12/2006 2:40:45 AM
Author:mtrader
Hi All, I love this forum where we can all discuss the pieces we own. I have recently became very interested in collecting
mogok rubies (more than 2.5 C) and imperial jade... I just love the fiery color (for mogok rubies) and gem like lustre (for imperial jade).
I know they are hugely xpensive but does anyone know a reasonable supplier? I would love to own some as an investment item.
Hi Mtrader:
35.gif

I would check out Robert Genis at preciousgemstones.com. Robert has had some very fine examples of imperial jade in the past and currently has a couple pieces up on his sight. Quality is expensive though.
40.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t know where you are but on Sunday 5th, Mason and Kay will have a jade seminar in Oakland, California at the Christensen Heller Gallery on College Ave.
3.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with you and Barbara: Mason Kay is THE jadeite authority. They have a website and if someone contacts them they can probably suggest retailers-resellers in specific areas.

Another very reputable source for fine jadeite is Gump''s in San Francisco. I''m not currently up to speed on Gump''s and the qualities they carry but they''re worth checking.

MasonKay''s site is: http://www.masonkay.com/

Gump''s is: http://www.gumps.com/

Richard M.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
You will be paying a premium through the above dealers. I trust http://www.lumingta.com/ when they list them as Grade A jade. I have had mine verified and confirmed to be true grade A jade.

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/4/2006 10:32:20 PM
Author: zhuzhu
You will be paying a premium through the above dealers. I trust http://www.lumingta.com/ when they list them as Grade A jade. I have had mine verified and confirmed to be true grade A jade.

Hello Zhuzhu,

I visited the website you listed and must say the pictures look very impressive, and the prices were very, very low for the quality I saw. I mean no disrespect to your judgement, or to the integrity of that website''s owners, however my "If it''s too good to be true..." alarm bell is ringing, and I''m wondering:

1) Could you clarify what you mean by your jade piece(s) being verified? Did you get a GIA or other big lab cert? Some of the enhancements used on jadeite in today''s market are not detectable with the equipment available to the corner gemologist or jeweler.

2) I''m wondering what the phrase used on the website "Grade A Jade" means. "Grade A, to my knowledge, is not an officially recognized, or well defined, descriptor for any type of gem.

It could be just a translation thing, or evidence of a language barrier, but many could argue that the phrase "A Jade" which does have a well defined meaning, is not the same as "Grade A Jade". "A Jade" is understood to mean: no enhancement, beyond perhaps a simple colorless wax polish-- no bleach, no resin, no dye. "Grade A" could simply mean "good" or "very fine" without reference to treatment. I noted that the term "natural" was used frequently on the site also, but the meaning of natural is not identical to the meaning of unenhanced.

If they are indeed selling true A jade of the pictured quality and color at those prices, it is a bargain indeed, and I''ll be in line to buy soon.

Barbara

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results