shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty Update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ps ... i''d love some more pix...especially of that bunny butt!!!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
As soon as I get some more pix, I''ll post them!!! :D

Tonight, we locked Smokey up in our bedroom and opened the bathroom door where "Bunny Butt" is sleeping. She actually came out on her own and started to explore the house. She''s tentative, but even when my DH made some startling noises, she didn''t run back into the bathroom. She just ran to another part of the house! She eventually laid in DHs lap (he picked her up) and she started purring and gave him happy paws. When he needed to get up, she calmly walked back into her room and began to eat...

So some progress is being made...hopefully once she feels more comfortable in the house, we''ll be able to re-introduce Smokey to her!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! There is definitely progress!!!
36.gif

Did the shelter say how she acted around the other kitties there? I see on a lot of cat shelter websites that they suggest certain cats get along well with other cats, while others specifically are asked to be adopted without any other kitties.

I would love to get Rascal a friend, since he seems way too attached to me lately. I assume he''s kind of lonely with the house being so empty all day long. But he hasn''t been around another kitty since I adopted him as a kitten, and when the evil neighborhood cats come to our front window, Rascal proceeds to hiss, growl, and literally attack the glass window.
14.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
oh! she is SO cute! congrats!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
PS - I think it will take awhile.. but the cats will get used to each other and get a long.. For whatever reason, whenever our older cat has to go to the vet for an overnight stay, she comes back and our younger cat hisses at her and won''t go near her for about a week.. like she forgets who she is (neither of my cats are the smartest).. and then after awhile.. they get a long fine.
I''ve never had to introduce two adult cats, but i''ve added kittens before, and the older cats just always seem to adjust.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Well, in the last day, we''ve begun to allow "Bunny Butt" to roam the house (quasi supervised to give her space) with Smokey also allowed to roam free. Basically he follows her from room to room. If he gets to close, she''ll start to growl or hiss, but it never goes beyond that. She''s finding her favorite hiding spots in the house, which makes it hard for us if we take our eyes off of her for 30 seconds!! :D

This morning, Smokey actually walked up to her and put his paw out to her to test the waters (a first!) She turned around (I think she was startled too!), hissed, gave a light swat (nothing really aggressive) and Smokey sat down and just walked away. She didn''t do anything else but sat there and watched him walk away.

She''s getting comfortable eating in front of him and even last night, began eating out of HIS food bowl!! When he approached her (this he was not happy about) she hissed again...but it''s like she''s all talk and no action....just a bunch of hissing and nothing more...maybe it''s because Smokey will back down...who knows? :)

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 5:58:53 PM
Author: Stretch4
Yay!!! There is definitely progress!!!
36.gif

Did the shelter say how she acted around the other kitties there?

Stretch...they weren''t able to tell me how she was with other cats, but we held her nose-to-nose with other cats in adjoining cages and she didn''t hiss or anything...maybe it was because she was accustomed to their scent already...hopefully once she gets accustomed to Smokey, she''ll do much better!

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
She is such a doll!!! I sure hope it works out for everybody involved. It sure sounds like it is going well. When I lived with my sister she had a male cat and I had 3 female cats. For some reason, the male cat had a calming affect on my 3. They never fought or marked stuff when he was around. Plus he had a crush on Jasmine and would follow her around all love struck!
emsmilep.gif
She wasn''t so enamored and would bat him on the head a couple of times. Never stopped him though. He would just shake his head a couple of times and go right back to following her around!
9.gif

Anyway, good luck with the kitties. And be sure and get us more pictures of them both!

MMM: Love the name Bunny Butt.
3.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
AChiO sounds like you''re making progress!!! Yay!!! I hope she works out!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Great progress!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!! It still worries me that she hisses at Smokey every time he gets near her, but hopefully in the next few days that''ll start to subside as well....Oh I hope I hope I hope!!!
4.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t worry, Bunny butt will stop the hissing soon I promise!!! They are making great progress together, well done you!!
36.gif
36.gif
You are getting there with them, and it could have been much worse!!! They will be just fine.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Now in the morning, I''ll open the door and "Bunny Butt" is ready to come out...she''s still tentative around Smokey (growling and hissing still), but it doesn''t stop her from coming out...she''s finding her favorite spots around the house, so when I go looking for her, I usually know where to look.

Smokey is getting braver...he''ll eat from her food bowl when she''s 2 feet away in her carrier and he''s even tried to approach her to smell her scent directly. Normally, that''s when the hissy fits (hers...not his) begins. He doesn''t give up though. She''s comfortable eating out of his food bowl, but when he tries to eat at the same time (which he and Sasha never had a problem doing), she''ll hiss and he''ll back away...I feel so bad for Smokey because his routine is being disrupted because "Bunny" doesn''t want him around...hopefully this will change because he really needs a kitty he can play with...not just be a roommate with...

Any suggestions??? I don''t want to force anything upon either one of them, but we do want them to get along!!
40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a little bit of a power struggle which is natural! You could try petting Smokey first always in front of Bunny and making a little less fuss of her. It is still early days and they are doing fine, I do know it is a worry though!!!!! In time they will adapt truly they will!!! I have done this so many times and I have never had a situation where I haven''t been able to make it work with adult cats. The hissing will subside in time until they feel secure in the hierachy which may take a little more time. Try feeding them something delicious together near to each other, but not too close - something with a strong scent like ham. Bunny B may take a little more time to adapt as she has been in a shelter and things are still very strange and new to both Smokey and her. Stick with it, it is still very soon and I always think a month is not too long to let them settle together, i will happen in their own time and only they can sort it out - they will! I have had to tell myself before to look to the long term when my household of cats has gone crazy due to a " usurper", this won''t last and in a couple of months they will all be fine! I last did this back in May with another cat, introducing her into a house of four huge male cats!!! After a month, all was calm and they are fine together! Stick with it, it will work out remind yourself that all this is normal and to be expected and I think you are doing a great job! Also what a good thing you have done for BB by giving her a home. Keep us posted and try not to worry too much, I know it''s hard - whenever I get another cat it is like oh no what have I done - ruined the group dynamics, but it has always worked in the end!
35.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei...thanks for the support and feedback of your own experience...I think where I''m most worried (and maybe it''s not practical) is that the shelter gives the adoptive family 2 weeks to see if the adopted animal fits into the family. If not, we can bring her back. I''m willing to give it the chance, but DH is overly protective of Smokey and wants to see faster improvement between the 2. It may be unrealistic, but he wanted me to bring her back this week if she''s still hissing at Smokey. I convinced him to give it at least a full week to see if there''s any improvement. I feel there is as the two of them can sit in a room together without any hissing going on, so she''s at least tolerating him at this moment. As long as he stays about 3 feet from her, then BB is fine.

I guess that''s where my anxiety is coming from...the shelter''s timeline and DH''s expectations...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can imagine that is making it a lot worse with the pressure you are under with this. I do think you have done a great job and it could have been a lot worse with another cat - it has gone quite smoothly! Unfortunately these things do take time, there are no quick or easy ways to hurry it along. They will get on eventually or if the worst case scenario that their relationship may never be quite that of cuddle buddies, but one of mutual respect where they can live together quite happily. My 5 all do, some are much closer than others and will sleep together and wash each other, but others don''t and do their own thing - but they do live together peacefully. This could have been much worse than it is - with any other cat there are no guarantees that they will settle any quicker with Smokey than Bunny Butt will. See if you can get your husband to realize this, and it is totally normal to be going through it, it is a natural transition period and poor little BB has done well to cope as well as she has. Don''t give up, it will work out, they just need more time and your reward will be two happy cats in your home! Don''t forget that it isn''t long since you lost Sasha and you are still both grieving for her and your emotions with another cat may be a little different now than they usually are. I hope some of this helps, we will cheer you on and help you through it!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, AChiO...I''ve been following your progress, and I think you''re doing a great job!
36.gif
It sounds to me like you''ve made great progress, even in a short time.

I do hope your DH hangs in there for as long as it takes...and I bet it won''t take very long, catwise...considering how far they''ve come already.

Have him read Lorelei''s excellent post..

We''re all rooting for all of you: You, your DH, Smokey, and of course, BB!!

widget

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2005 1:28:18 PM
Author: Lorelei
Don''t forget that it isn''t long since you lost Sasha and you are still both grieving for her and your emotions with another cat may be a little different now than they usually are. I hope some of this helps, we will cheer you on and help you through it!

That is a VERY good point....I need to keep reminding myself (and especially DH!!!) of this....hopefully that will provide some comfort and patience as we go through this transition....

Thanks Lorelei!!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Widget and Achio - I am so glad I was able to help a bit! Hang in there!
35.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL- I just saw the Bunny Butt! That''s too funny! Funny thing is, that Manx that I adopted out has a new name of Bunny (but that''s a male cat, poor thing LOL)...

Good advice you have received. (I sound like yoda)... I wouldn''t put too much pressure on yourself..if things don''t work out, you can always find a no kill shelter to take a sweet kitty like BB! Cats are SUCH sensitive creatures... Hissing is very normal...it just takes time...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Achio - I was just reading this thread from the beginning, since the 30th you have made excellent progress with the cats, if you look back you can really see how things have progressed and calmed down! It is only the 5th day since you have had her? In that case very well done indeed! It is good to look back and see just how far you have all come in such a short time and she is certainly a beautiful cat!
36.gif
I can remember with one of mine when we introduced him, the hissing continued for about 3 weeks, plus drawn out fights for supremacy - most of it was bluff and bluster to see who would back down first
6.gif
No blood was shed thank goodness, it isn't often that happens. He was the most difficult one to integrate but he did find his own place in the gang in his own time. This cat is deaf, which made it even harder as the others would do sneak attacks and ambush him, because of this he was naturally more wary than usual. We got there in the end, don't forget familiarity breeds contempt and that cat social rules can be complex, they need to be sorted out and agreed on by all members of the cat group, i.e which chair belongs to which cat, what areas are mutual territory such as a certain route through the lounge, sleeping areas etc, also who will be the top dog so to speak. This is really what it is all about and it sounds as if they are getting close to signing a peace treaty! BB is just trying to stake her claim in the home and find out where she fits in, this is the only way she and Smokey can do this, it is all normal cat behaviour and sounds a lot worse than it actually is!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
AChiO, In my two times doing this, it took about a month, that''s why I was worried when you said if it didnt work in 2 weeks you''d take her back. I''m not meaning this to be discouraging, it just takes a little longer than 2 weeks to have them settle in together. I think its pretty good that Smokey is not the one upset by the new comer, that means he is receptive to having a new friend and she just needs to get comfortable around him. In my case, it was always my older cats that hated the little furballs we were bringing in and didn''t want to deal with the new one. Give her some more time, and don''t get too frustrated, it is natural for them to hiss! If they got along instantly that would be a little odd! I say show your bf some information online on how it works, or maybe have him talk to your vet...to get a new cat that''ll be happy instantly in a new house hold is not likely. Maybe once he learns more about the process he''ll be open to keeping her a little longer. I think the progress they have made is encouraging and they''re on the right track! So I''m wishing you lots of luck through the rest of this process!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s some updated pix of "Bunny Butt." Doesn''t she look miserable??? ;-)

DSCN2076.jpg

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
And one more!!!!

DSCN2078.jpg

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I were talking about her progress and it looks like we''ll probably keep her!!!! I''m working on my DH and telling him how she''s been laying around and feeling more comfortable, so it''ll take more time with Smokey...but those pictures show how much she''s feeling at home!! We still won''t let her roam around unless we''re home...don''t want any encounters that we can''t separate!!!

So it looks like I''m gonna need to order some of those soft paws!!! That''ll also help with any potential altercations....

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m so delighted you''re going to keep her!!!! Bravo!
36.gif

She does look rather tense.....
20.gif

BB is just beautiful, but I want to see a picture of that butt!!

widget

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
YAY for the new kitty working out!! Is bunny butt her official name?
3.gif

She looks like she has taken her place as princess of the house and is quite comfortable!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG she is so gorgeous and sweet looking and fuzzy I just want to HEAD BONK her!!!! Again!

She looks so comfortable already, and so happy.

Soft Paws rock...they work so well for me. The pink ones are particularly hysterical to look at.
2.gif
But they do have clear for the non adventurous types.
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad things are going better. The kitties really WILL get used to one another.. She is absolutely an adorable kitty cat!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the support!!! Now we need to come up with a name. We''re thinking possibly "Bear" for 2 purposes....

1) The "bear butt" that she has
2) For "Smokey and the Bear"

We''re playing around with names, but that one seems to stick...
19.gif

From everything I''m reading, Manx tend to get along well with both cats and dogs (as their normal temperament), so hopefully BB will be no different.

While she may THINK she''s the princess, she''ll never be able to replace the original princess of this house, Sasha...she''ll have ALOT to live up to!!!
2.gif

Widget...I''ll get you some "butt" pix as soon as I can (and as soon as she''s willing!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results