shape
carat
color
clarity

Keeping your nails pretty...*just* in case...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbling

Rough_Rock
For all you LIW''s out there...fun beauty tip for Friday...

If you''re like me, you''ve been trying to keep your hands and nails looking pretty just in case a *sparkly* should come along!
I, unfortunately do not have time for a professional manicure (which seems to last only a few days) every week...however, I have just discovered this WONDERFUL nail polish by Sally Hansen! It''s called "Diamond Strength NO CHIP nail color". The stuff stays on FOREVER and there''s even a cute little "diamond" glued on the bottle. I keep it on my desk and it gives me something sparkly to look at to take my mind off the REAL sparkly.

Oh, and my favorite color is Princess Pink...perfect for a LIW!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
So funny! I try to get a manicure every week to make sure my nails are in tip-top sparkly shape!

I friend of mine who recently got married got engaged last summer. She had been getting manicures every week, sometimes twice a week, since her bf had been hinting that she''ll be getting a ring soon. Nothing happens... then comes time for them to move in and she became really upset since she told her bf that she wanted to be engaged before they moved in together. So, to get her feelings out, she threw all her energy into packing and cleaning their new apartment before they moved in. Scrubbing the floors and the bathrooms (eventhough the building would have hired a professional to do it). Her hands were a reck. All red and her nails were down to the quick and gross. So, of course, what happens. The night before thy move in together, he proposes... and puts the most beautiful 3 ct ring on her disgusting hands!

kbling

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/18/2005 11:17
6.gif
2 AM
Author: ammayernyc
So funny! I try to get a manicure every week to make sure my nails are in tip-top sparkly shape!

I friend of mine who recently got married got engaged last summer. She had been getting manicures every week, sometimes twice a week, since her bf had been hinting that she''ll be getting a ring soon. Nothing happens... then comes time for them to move in and she became really upset since she told her bf that she wanted to be engaged before they moved in together. So, to get her feelings out, she threw all her energy into packing and cleaning their new apartment before they moved in. Scrubbing the floors and the bathrooms (eventhough the building would have hired a professional to do it). Her hands were a reck. All red and her nails were down to the quick and gross. So, of course, what happens. The night before thy move in together, he proposes... and puts the most beautiful 3 ct ring on her disgusting hands!
HYSTERICAL! BF and I were at BJ''s the other night and I bought a case (100 ct) of Latex Gloves. He asked me "what the hell are those for?" I told him to protect my precious hands and nails when I clean (which works like a charm, actually...I slather on some bag balm and then put the gloves on!). It went right over his head...he didn''t even get it!!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been getting weekly manicures for almost a year now...still waiting. Although the next time I do some heavy duty cleaning, I will definitely wear gloves...the bleach scrub for the bathtub was not nice to my nails...good thing I still have some time to grow them back out!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
what does it say that right up until this week I was keeping my nails perfect and this week I let them go to hell???

I think it was the reviewing of the bottom line on our bank statements that made me realize that even my simple little vatche x-prong w/my inherited stone is not happening remotely soon
7.gif

I do have to agree that some of that Sally Hansen stuff kicks butt, especially for drugstore stuff!!!!! I like the SH Age Correct Strength, dry & brittle nail care- it works very well and I often just wear it alone for some nice little shine and protection

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I used to bite my nails something awful but stopped about a month a go (felt "IT" was coming soon). My hands look so much nicer and my boyfriend is so happy.

If I ever unconsciously bite, my boyfriend says "Hey! Don't mess up the platform!".
9.gif

I was embarrassed trying on rings with those nails. They were nasty.
14.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
If ya''ll dont have the money, I am student I would rather spend the money on plane tickets to see my BF. Quick and Dirty Manicure
NEED:
One bottle of white polish
One Bottle sheer pink or cream color (your preference)
One Bottle Top Coat (optional and if you get one of those new color girl 3in1 polish)
Q-tips
Nail Polish Remover
Nail File

1. File your nails to desired shape
2. Rinse your hands lightly wiht soap and water to remove oils on your nails
3. Using white polish paint the top half of your nail, let dry and paint a second coat
4. Once dry dip q-tips in nail polish remover and drag across the bottom of the line to form the desired malf moon shape for the tipe of your nail
5. Wait 30 seconds and paint entire nail with sheer color (one one coat here)
6. Top Coat if desired!

It sounds like alot but it take about 10 minutes till you are done painting and then maybe 10 more to dry. If you can spring for OPIs rapid dry (it is a spray) it works and wont yellow polish the way Sache quick dry polish will.

hellokitty

Rough_Rock
I LOOOVE Sally hansen! I have been keeping my nails in perfect shape for the past few weeks, you know, just in case i should recieve an ornament for my left hand :) I have to make another trip to Walgreens and try out that Diamond strength nail polish... It seems as though she designed it just for us LIW lol
anna

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Any advice for someone who has peeling nails. I had silk wrap tips for years, but took them off a few months ago. I have let my nails grow out from the tips, but now they are constantly peeling. It is awful!! Anyone have a great nail product to grow stronger non-peeling nails??

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2005 7
6.gif
9:40 AM
Author: Kaili
Any advice for someone who has peeling nails. I had silk wrap tips for years, but took them off a few months ago. I have let my nails grow out from the tips, but now they are constantly peeling. It is awful!! Anyone have a great nail product to grow stronger non-peeling nails??

I have peeling nails too. I use the "nail strengthener." MAkes ur nails like a rock! Takes about 3-4 days and u'll feel a great difference. Your nails will be so hard, it'll feel a tad bit weird. They will grow fast also. Just b/c you asked , I can't find the bottle to give u the name, but I've used Sally's many times in the past.

Matatora & kbling, I can't wait to try out your tips.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
There are lots of great ones sally hansen makes one that comes in a green bottle and works well and QVC carries a line that is great but more expensive...the effects are longer lasting too though. So you can decide it really depends on how much you have to spend the SH one is about 4$ at Wal-Mart Pro Strong I hope this helps. This is what I used when I quit biting my nails to make the strong again.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the great referrals! I saw the product on QVC- "Tips" I think it was called. I''m so desperate to fix these ugly nails that I might just try it. I''ll also get the Sally Hansen in the mean time.

Cute330xigrl- if you happen to find the bottle, I''d love for you to PM me.

Thanks ladies!!!
21.gif

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Ladies, another great product for weak, peeling, or short nails (to help them grow) is by Opi Nails. It's called Nail Envy. It's a clear polish that really strengthens your nails.

Trust me - I've tried everything and this has been the best.

Good luck! If I can grow nails, anyone can.
35.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh yah, I''ve seen Nail Envy before- didn''t realize what the product was.... hopefully with all of these great options I''ll have gorgeous nails soon.
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
We should all post pictures of our manicures! Wouldnt that be fun....yes I need a life. Doing my nails is my stop point for eating so mine get done prolly every other day.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
i have fakey nails- acrylics.. have since the beginning of August when I was expecting the proposal (which was toward the end of october) but I have never been able to find that *PERFECT* shade.. I like pink.. nothing crazy. I was just looking for a pretty, girly pink..they were all either way too bright or sort of brownish.. (you can see the nasty brownish color on some of my e-ring pics) but the last time I went, I went to a new place and they had the PERFECT pink. Its OPI and the shade is called Hawaiian Orchid.. and its very very light.. its probably intended to be used as the base coat for a french manicure.,. but I LOVE it. Its natural looking and pretty! I totally recommend it. And I won''t put anything but OPI polishes on my fake nails because everything else chips off. Everything chips off my real nails.. so thats just a losing battle no matter what I use. I had to go buy a bottle last night to use on my toenails!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have tried tons of pale sheer pinks....I have a few OPI ones but my asbolute most perfect pink is by Essie and it's called Mademoiselle....

Alot of nail salons use it as the pink for french manicures...

I get mine at the local beauty salon, also I like Essie's pink LimoScene but it has the tendency to streak slightly at times, whereas Mademoiselle does not.

Oh and re: peeling nails...I have natural nails and for a year and a half they were just divine. After we came back from the wedding/honeymoon, peel city! I don't know what happened but I could not keep them strong OR from peeling. I tried No More Peeling from Sally and various other items, absolutely othing worked. It took about SIX MONTHS for them to recover from whatever had happened...
39.gif

I also notice that when I drink more milk (aka I like my coffee 75% milk and 25% coffee..heheeh) that my nails are much stronger and when I keep nail polishes on, even just a clear coat, it really helps protect them. Oh and one last thing..I try to steer away from using too much cuticle oil when I buff or polish because I think that maybe that was partially why they were peeling, too much oil in the nail....who knows but I was trying various things and I don't know what worked but they are finally 99% back to normal...thank GOD!

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2005 2:22:51 PM
Author: Kaili
Thanks for the great referrals! I saw the product on QVC- ''Tips'' I think it was called. I''m so desperate to fix these ugly nails that I might just try it. I''ll also get the Sally Hansen in the mean time.

Cute330xigrl- if you happen to find the bottle, I''d love for you to PM me.

Thanks ladies!!!
21.gif

That''s it! Nail Envy!!! With all the construction going on, things are still in a bit of disarray.. but thats the stuff. Worked great from me.

I wish I could drink more milk. Hate the stuff unlessits in the form of icecream.

Mara, were you in the water a lot when on your honeymoon(pool or beach)? Perhaps this is what caused your peeling? I found this "Ask Alice" article. Interesting comments.

..................................................................................................................................
Dear amie,

Your fingernails are most likely frayed, chipped, peeled, dry, and/or brittle because of:

Contact with harsh chemicals

Household cleaning products, strong soaps, detergents, and even nail polishes and nail polish removers can dry, irritate, and weaken nails, making them susceptible to breakage, especially in people who are sensitive or allergic to certain ingredients in these products.

Nutritional inadequacy

You may not be getting enough iron, calcium, zinc, protein, silicon, and vitamins A, B complex, and C in your diet.

Other than the above, skin diseases, such as psoriasis and fungal infections, injuries, excessive contact with water, and other conditions (e.g., congenital and genetic nail disorders, melanoma) can change the appearance of your nails.

Your aim is to have healthy fingernails that are pink, firm, and somewhat lustrous. To help restore the health of your nails, wear rubber gloves when using products containing any chemicals to protect your nails and skin. Also limit your application of nail polish, nail polish remover, and other nail products (when using nail polish remover, a sensitive formula that''s acetone-free may be less drying to your nails). You may have thought that the nail hardeners you were using would help fortify your fingernails; instead, they remain weak and brittle, because even nail strengtheners themselves can leave some people with nails that actually break more easily. It can also be helpful to allow enough time in between polishings for damaged nails to grow out. In addition, regularly moisturizing your fingernails and their surrounding skin with lotions or creams containing lactic, glycolic, or malic acid could also be of some benefit.

It''s also always a good idea to make sure you eat a varied and well-balanced diet that includes fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes (beans, peas, lentils, and soy products), seeds, nuts, low- or non-fat dairy, fish, and lean meats.

Lastly, of note is one Swiss study conducted by G.L. Floersheim that was published in Zeitschrift f¸r Hautkranken in 1988. The researchers found that people who were given biotin for nail weakness that is not caused simply by malnutrition experienced a 25 percent increase in nail thickness over a treatment period of 5.5 ± 2.3 months. The subjects were given 2.5 milligrams of biotin a day (in comparison, the 1998 Adequate Intake of biotin for adults is 30 micrograms a day), which is a very high level and must be supervised by a doctor. No need to be a study subject to get some, though; biotin (B7 or vitamin H) is available in the following foods:

egg yolks
liver and other organ meats
yeast
whole grains and cereals
soybeans
fish
cauliflower
lentils
milk
peanut butter

If, after you''ve stopped using nail products, the condition of your fingernails does not improve over time, or if you''re concerned about any unusual deformities, such as discoloration, grooves/ridges, dents, white spots, and changes in thickness, you may want to see a primary health care provider or dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
cute...yes we were in the water all the time in Tahiti, I wonder if that could have caused it...

I changed my nail polish while there as well and bought a nail polish remover and a cheapo polish from a touristy store, and I thought maybe the remover had dried them out or something, I only use non-acetone polishes with oils in them at home to moisturize rather than strip...but this basic Tahiti one was just plain stuff. Thought maybe also that something was in the polish that was not good for the nails as well.

What surprised me was that it took literally MONTHS for them to stop misbehaving, probably about 6 months...only the last 2 months have I been able to keep them longer again without having to repeatedly cut them down because 1 or 2 peeled and then broke (I can''t stand un-uniform nails so if one breaks, they all go!).

Interesting article, esp about the nail polish usage..in fact I think that keeping polish on my nails helps them be stronger than when they are on their own...and the polishes I use don''t seem to affect their strength, also again the remover is a gentle one. If I don''t have polish on my nails, even just a shiny clear coat, I feel like they are exposed. They are not SO strong that I could afford to go with absolutely nothing on them and not have them dent or nick and then eventually break.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
yes, i recommend OPIs Nail Envy and Solar Oil Cuticle oil...both make your nails stronger and grow faster (for us nail biters
40.gif
)...i love cuticle oil, i think it is the best thing ever invented! Oh and the Solar Oil Moisturizing hand cream...yummy smell
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ahh! Last night as I was going in I slammed my hand (ouch!
39.gif
) in my car door and broke my pointer finger on my left hands nail below the quick, maybe a 1/4 of the way.
29.gif
It hurts and I cant stop worrying it.... SO two questions. 1) Any suggestions on how to leave it alone or make it hurt less, its not a siting pain just dull constant annoyance? 2) I was planning on getting my nails done tommorow since I am flying to NY to see my BF and we were going to look at rings, I have always kept my rings in a french manicure( easy to take care of and matches everything) is this out? I will keep all my nail the same length or as close to it as possible... Damn
7.gif
, this is inconnveinent. Still I get to see my BF in just two days!!!!
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thanks in advance

kbling

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/18/2005 4:24:34 PM
Author: Matatora
If ya''ll dont have the money, I am student I would rather spend the money on plane tickets to see my BF. Quick and Dirty Manicure
NEED:
One bottle of white polish
One Bottle sheer pink or cream color (your preference)
One Bottle Top Coat (optional and if you get one of those new color girl 3in1 polish)
Q-tips
Nail Polish Remover
Nail File

1. File your nails to desired shape
2. Rinse your hands lightly wiht soap and water to remove oils on your nails
3. Using white polish paint the top half of your nail, let dry and paint a second coat
4. Once dry dip q-tips in nail polish remover and drag across the bottom of the line to form the desired malf moon shape for the tipe of your nail
5. Wait 30 seconds and paint entire nail with sheer color (one one coat here)
6. Top Coat if desired!

It sounds like alot but it take about 10 minutes till you are done painting and then maybe 10 more to dry. If you can spring for OPIs rapid dry (it is a spray) it works and wont yellow polish the way Sache quick dry polish will.
Matatora...I tried out your "quick and dirty"...it worked like a charm. I love it. I have a mani/pedi appt. on Friday, and now I dont even feel I need to go! Thanks for the "tips"! And here''s a pic for ya (yeah, i need to get a life too):

kbmani.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
''Insert e-ring here''

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I know I shouldn''t complain, but my nails are long, dense, and tough and grow like weeds. It''s actually kind of a nuisance keeping up with them. My problem is that they are so thick they are ridged like potato chips (Ruffles)

I always have to use ridge filler on them. Has anyone ever had their nails filed down that way?

kbling

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/22/2005 2:21
6.gif
0 PM
Author: Erin
''Insert e-ring here''

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I know I shouldn''t complain, but my nails are long, dense, and tough and grow like weeds. It''s actually kind of a nuisance keeping up with them. My problem is that they are so thick they are ridged like potato chips (Ruffles)

I always have to use ridge filler on them. Has anyone ever had their nails filed down that way?
Have you tried buffing down the ridges (with a fine grain file/buffer) instead of using the filler. Mine sometimes get "ridgy" and that usually works.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
I get my nails done, but more in a crazy fun style the japanese use (which my boyfriend doesn''t really like). And my boyfriend has mentioned that I won''t get my ring until I get a classic french manicure!! He says a nice ring doesn''t go with my funky nails.

I don''t think he has the ring yet, so I still have my japanese style nails (think clear pink glitter, holographic glitter and puffy hearts painted on top). But soon I will switch over to something less... over the top.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you like it!
31.gif
You did a great job
36.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results