shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep WG head or change to YG head

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all the help here at PS, my FF and I ordered the engagement ring.
The setting is:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...es-allen-exclusive-engagement-ring-item-49513

and the diamond is:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.57-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-697990

So, the ring arrived today and it has the wrong color head. JA made the ring in all WG instead of YG head, WG shank as shown. First they said that is the way it is supposed to be made and two-tone was a special order but when I pointed out their own answer to a question asked about the ring on the site about it being two-toned, they said I was right and would make the ring over, if I want. Of course, that would take a few weeks. Add on top of this, that the ring was delivered to a family member and will be with them to FF proposes so I don't get to see it yet. I was told it was absolutely beautiful as is. I only know it's wrong because I mentioned my ring would be two-toned and they peeked and said it wasn't.

My question is that it is a K colored cushion and I'm wondering whether keeping it in the WG will help it face up whiter or if setting it in a YG would be better. The SA I spoke to today said that by the video of this diamond it shows very little warmth, almost none and faces up very white. From looking at different posts on the site, I see that YG may play up warmth while WG would make it look whiter but more in a creamy/ivory way. Would I be better (sight unseen) leaving it in the WG head or asking FF to return it and have YG head placed on ring? He knows they got this wrong but he himself won't see it until the weekend and would just tell me to change it to whatever way makes me happy.

Thanks for help in advance.

E B

Ideal_Rock
First, I'm so glad the diamond is beautiful IRL! :love:

If you want to keep the diamond facing up as white as possible, I'd stick with the WG head. The advice is generally to use a YG basket to play up the color in a diamond. BUT-- if you aren't completely opposed to it, I'd take a look at it and see how you like it. No one can know how you'd like it best more than you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful setting! Well, I'm probably an oddball but I really love 2 tone jewelry. When does he plan on proposing? Can
you wait until you see it? You may love it the way it is and see no real value in changing the head to yellow gold.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
EB - again thank you. I was told it faces up similar to a 2ct which was a nice surprise. You have a great eye for diamonds.
And that's what I was thinking about keeping it all WG to make it whiter but like tyty333, I liked the idea of two-tone.

tyty333 - I really did like the idea of two-tone, part of the reason I selected this setting but afraid it may make the K warmer/more yellowish/slightly off, specifically because of the YG prongs. I think if I had picked a G or H (out of the budget with this setting), I wouldn't be see-sawing on it as much and would have it switched to two-tone.

I've been reading so many posts on PS while waiting and I love how K's have personality but it seems everyone suggests at least white prongs for a K diamond and not sure if I would like this setting as much with WG prongs, YG halo/head and WG shank. I was actually worrying about those prongs recently and wondering how they would effect the diamond.

To both, no idea when he is proposing of course. Hopefully in the next month so I'm within the return period if I want to switch it to YG. And EB, like you suggested, they said wait until I see it IRL. The SA said I may want to keep it WG after all. As long as he proposes in the next 29 days, I can wait to see it. I'll definitely post pictures once I get it :)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you want it to look like..whiter or tinted..I have a 5 stone wedding ring, the stones are F in color...they were set in a 18kt yellow gold bar setting...I really could not tell the difference between the the F color stones in the wedding band and the I color of my engagement ring, I always thought I wasn't color sensitive...then I reset my my 5 stone in a white gold setting...OMG hugh difference..they looked like the beautiful F colored diamonds they are and I can now tell the difference in color between them and my I color diamond in my engagment ring (I can tell a little too much and its bugging me)...so I say it depends on the look you want.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a feeling that when you see it you are going to love it the way it is...it's just going to be so beautiful that it's going
to be hard not to love. You could always throw in a gold pave wedding band if you want to add a little more color/interest.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333, that's true. I didn't think of that but it would get me to two-tone that way as well. Thanks.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So still waiting but cheated a bit here and looked at ring design online and my ring is there now. :) If you click on the link in the original post, you'll see it. Opinions on whether to get YG or keep as is now (with WG) as it looks like there is definitely some faint yellow tint to diamond. JA also offered a RG head as well but I'm afraid how that will go with my complexion. Thanks.

E B

Ideal_Rock
absolutme77|1456706936|3997145 said:
So still waiting but cheated a bit here and looked at ring design online and my ring is there now. :) If you click on the link in the original post, you'll see it. Opinions on whether to get YG or keep as is now (with WG) as it looks like there is definitely some faint yellow tint to diamond. JA also offered a RG head as well but I'm afraid how that will go with my complexion. Thanks.

How are you able to see the warmth over the GIANT flashes of color? :cheeky: That has to be one of the sparkliest/fieriest 360s I've ever seen.

Remember, the ring is majorly magnified there. I'd wait to see it in person to make the final decision. Have you talked to your boyfriend about your concern and the return period?

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks. Yes, I love the diamond but I can see yellow if I pause the 360. I'm also not 100% I love this setting either (which of course might be why I'm looking so close at this). It's just not how I imagined. Maybe because the sample was rectangular and my diamond is a square. I was told in person this diamond is super white. My boyfriend is awesome though. He hasn't proposed yet but said if I want to exchange the setting in any way (different color, even different setting) that I can do it,

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait and see it in person. The diamond looks fabulous. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your stone is gorgeous. I think you should see it in person before deciding. Have FF show it to you now in person.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
absolutme77|1456714585|3997162 said:
I plan to. Super excited with the diamond, like beyond words. It's gorgeous. I did pick out a possible other setting but need to get custom pricing since diamond is too big. This was my thought for the other setting - http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...iple-row-pave-halo-engagement-ring-item-49491 As you can tell, I love bling :love:
Oh, I wouldn't waffle about the setting style; the one you selected really showcases that mesmerizing diamond!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I make a recommendation?

Return the setting. It's too expensive for the quality. Seriously.

Take your stone and get this setting from BE instead. Seriously, look how fabulous this setting is:

sdh3.jpg
sdh2.jpg
sdh1.jpg
img_20160226_114914_07.jpg
img_20160226_114914_01.jpg
img_20160226_114914_02.jpg

In platinum this was $3950 for the setting. And then additional 1950 for the wedding band. And that's handforged construction. Which is the best for pave, period.

I REALLY think this is the way to go. You can do whatever color metal you want too. That stone is an I color.

You like big bling and this delivers. But it also delivers higher quality.

I think it would be gorgeous for your stone. Here's the thread on that: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/having-buyers-remorse-after-shane-co-purchase.218378/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/having-buyers-remorse-after-shane-co-purchase.218378/page-3[/URL]

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, that is an absolutely gorgeous setting but way out of budget. We only could afford this setting due to the Valentine's Day sale. We are looking at around $2500-$2800 for the setting. I think hand-forged and the bling I like would be out of my budget.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, you can do CAD from BE then, they have two benches and their CAD work is also superior to the JA setting. It should be in budget for you.

Ask them for a quote.

Personally, I'd do a design like this:

Nut1.jpg
lfvdoll_side_view.bmp

WBTopic.jpg

Why? I think the pave style lends itself better to two tone.

Call them, and ask them for a quote on both designs from their CAD bench.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, wow!!! Before you replied, I actually sent them the double halo design from JA with the modification that the middle band be yellow gold and the rest be white gold. I had asked for hand-forged. I'm assuming they can call and work with me on this and ideas within my budget if it's out of budget. Do I then return ring, ask JA to just ship me the diamond and refund the setting? Thanks again.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I put in two inquiries. The first one about it being hand-forged which is probably a no-go and the second as a CAD. I requested platinum if possible in CAD but would be okay with WG. I know platinum would be best for pave. Even though I've been browsing the site now, I don't know how custom works, except for at JA as they explained it to me. Does BE provide me quotes or do they also make suggestions based on diamond and style preference?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You would provide them with pictures for inspiration. Call tomorrow to BE and follow up on the phone. It's best with them. Their emails can be filtered improperly. Explain your budget and ask for Chris, if he's there to help you.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much. I'll keep you updated on what he says.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first setting it something a bit different and yes I woulds have gone yellow head - hope your will not be disappointed with your re-do

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
absolutme77|1456361587|3995242 said:
tyty333, that's true. I didn't think of that but it would get me to two-tone that way as well. Thanks.

Oh my stars! I think it's gorgeous! However, being the oddball that I am, I would go yellow gold head. I do like this setting better
than the other one you picked from JA.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am at a crossroads. I thank everybody for liking the ring setting and we're actually having the person who has the ring send us pictures today so we can see IRL what it looks like (he couldn't get to see it this weekend). But based on the 360, neither of us is thrilled and we both realize it's because of the curved section on top. That's what I fell in love with in the first place but I think that's when it was a rectangular shape and since the stone is square, we both though from the 360 it looked like the top of a car on wheels.

That being said, I still like the other JA setting and since they have it on a hand I can see what it would look like IRL. I'm also looking at these below:

https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/pr...e_and_0_75_ctw_g-vs2_quality/handmade/jewelry

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-with-canera-cushion-in-double-halo

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I spoke to Chris and he's going to send me some renderings but similar to the Solstice (?) - so I get an idea of their double halo settings. He said if I like them, they would send a proposal.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Real life pics of ring from the person holding them. Sorry so blurry but they sent me 8 and I picked the best. I'm still iffy with the setting, even with these pics:

_36537.jpg

_36539.jpg

_36540.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely do all white metal for a halo even with a K. BUT, I don't love the round things on the side. I think they very much distract and are not a good design element.

If you can increase the budget to have Victor make a handforged platinum setting, that would be outstanding. But otherwise, getting BE to make a cast halo setting in platinum would be a good choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1456800418|3997662 said:
I don't love the round things on the side. I think they very much distract and are not a good design element.

Ditto.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, exactly what is bothering me.I am definitely returning the setting but keeping the awesome diamond.
I emailed back and forth with BE today - the only one of the designs I sent that they might be able to do, in my budget, is similar to Soleste but with a double band. I think that it might be a cast in WG but if they can get to Platinum for that for $2700 I'd be in 7th heaven.

Also, I still have JA giving me an estimate on the double halo, triple band both in WG and WG with center band yellow gold (halos would both be WG). I should know by Wednesday which direction I'm going on this,

_2214.jpeg

_2215.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results