shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or let go?

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I would keep it, but it sounds like you’re really not that happy about it. If you’re not happy at first, i don’t think you’ll be happier later but IDK

That makes sense...but I'm sort of a slow to warm up sort of person. And there is no doubt I loved it when I got it but then I worry about the details... like the depth etc etc...

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Fact: if you want top light performance in an oval, emerald cut, etc it's going to be deep. I don't see a way around that.

So you will need to make a decision between size and cut. And there certainly aren't a lot of options in this size.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen any other ovals that you think would fit the bill? Large size, nice light performance like the AV oval? I know its a bundle of money but
perhaps you can buy another one that you like and do a side by side comparison and then send one back. Not sure what your return time is on the
AV oval.

I actually think the price on the AV oval is decent. For example here is a non-branded stone that looks good (for a non branded oval). Its a color
and clarity higher which probably accounts for the higher price. Somewhat close in L&W but a carat smaller.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

If you have any idea of going bigger (L&W), I would do that now unless you plan on keeping this oval and the future bigger one you purchase.
If you have to trade in the smaller one (or sell it), you will lose a fair amount of money. Jonathan at AV runs a concierge service. You could see
what he could find for you. He has an eye for ovals.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep it as it it stunning. You do not want a shallow oval. The deep cut may be the result of the Opulence design to give it its fire and to minimize the mush and, bowtie and dead zones. It faces up really big and looks beautiful on your finger.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let go, if you're not feeling it now, having experienced it in person, I'd say this is not the one for you. I wouldn't say no to more pics and videos before you send it back.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice cat on those Sirius Star stones. Not sure about MRBs but like fancy shapes a lot

Agreed, for MRB it would be CBIs for myself (I have 5 of them). I like their cushion a lot, and their oval has no bow tie either. I don't know their deprh percentages on their oval but OP could ask the cutter (he is on Facebook) if she is interested.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THIS! +1

Fact: if you want top light performance in an oval, emerald cut, etc it's going to be deep. I don't see a way around that.

So you will need to make a decision between size and cut. And there certainly aren't a lot of options in this size.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have to ask yourself: "do I want brilliance and fire" or "do I want a honker that is pretty good"?

If you love huge diamonds and maybe you hang with people who wear huge diamonds them size may be what you are looking for as you have a beautiful MRB... I had a 1.01 oval and it was a D color back in 1987, it was icy beautiful but it had the damn bowtie and in 88 I quit smoking and talked my husband into an MRB upgrade, I loved loved loved the oval, but I shied away from ovals because of their bowtie, the AV opulence is opulent, it's gorgeous, it's somewhat rare and it's 6 carats :) but only you can decide what you want.!!

peace

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen any other ovals that you think would fit the bill? Large size, nice light performance like the AV oval? I know its a bundle of money but
perhaps you can buy another one that you like and do a side by side comparison and then send one back. Not sure what your return time is on the
AV oval.

I actually think the price on the AV oval is decent. For example here is a non-branded stone that looks good (for a non branded oval). Its a color
and clarity higher which probably accounts for the higher price. Somewhat close in L&W but a carat smaller.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

If you have any idea of going bigger (L&W), I would do that now unless you plan on keeping this oval and the future bigger one you purchase.
If you have to trade in the smaller one (or sell it), you will lose a fair amount of money. Jonathan at AV runs a concierge service. You could see
what he could find for you. He has an eye for ovals.

Any jewelry purchase I make I pretty much plan on just passing down to one of my kids... So at this point resale vale isn't that important. I've searched high and low for ovals and they all have either a bowtie center, a dark center, mushy ends or lack in sparkle. So this just might be my oval;)2

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
IMG_20190529_133501766_HDR.jpg

On a smaller sized hand it definitely looks huge!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

It looks huge on a larger sized hand too! I’m still trying to digest the fact that you want bigger ... holy crap ... I guess this goes to show how personal these perceptions can be. I mean ... ok well I clearly can’t relate to people with a ton of money, lol.

It is stunning and gorgeous and HUGE just the way it is!

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I think you have to ask yourself: "do I want brilliance and fire" or "do I want a honker that is pretty good"?

If you love huge diamonds and maybe you hang with people who wear huge diamonds them size may be what you are looking for as you have a beautiful MRB... I had a 1.01 oval and it was a D color back in 1987, it was icy beautiful but it had the damn bowtie and in 88 I quit smoking and talked my husband into an MRB upgrade, I loved loved loved the oval, but I shied away from ovals because of their bowtie, the AV opulence is opulent, it's gorgeous, it's somewhat rare and it's 6 carats :) but only you can decide what you want.!!

peace

None of my friends have huge diamonds, I just I guess just want it all! Size fire and sparkle!:love: This obsession with an oval all started a year ago when I tried on a really pretty oval in a halo setting it was 3ct and about 11mm long and 8mm wide and the price tag for it was 95k. Since then I've been looking and looking and so many have "ugh" factors; bowtie, mushy ends, dead center, no brilliance, etc... And during the process someone here mentioned to me about the AV ovals....and I've been stalking the 6ct for about 6 months! HA! I think I'm going to keep it. I think it just needs to be set in a setting that is different than my MRB solitaire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a large stone set by Steven Kirsch. I just think a simple pave halo really frames a well cut diamond and is very elegant! Still looking for a good oval example.

StevenKirschasscherhalo.jpg

Here's @m-2-b's beautiful 5 ct AVC set in SK setting. She coincidentally has a 4+ct round, also. She later set it in a halo, as well.
m2brings.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Along with Victor Canaera, Maytal Hanna also does really nice Oval halos.
https://www.maytalhannah.com/gallery-products/

A halo could be the perfect combination because you get a branded oval with no bow-tie and beautiful faceting but you get
the look of a bigger ring.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
IMG_20190530_090718814.jpg IMG_20190530_085146469_HDR.jpg
Some more pics, is it just me or does the center look differently cut then the rest of the diamond? Maybe because of the depth?

Reactions: AV_

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful stone and it's so hard to find a nice oval.

However, you don't seem sold. It's too much money if you don't love it.

I think it is beautiful, HUGE, and will be gorgeous in a ring, but you have to love it. Given that you are on the fence, I would return it. However, I think you may be hard pressed to find a stone that performs as well or even as near as well in that size range that doesn't have the same concerns or the dreaded bowtie...

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the party, but wanted to chime in to say that it truly is a gorgeous stone! I agree with others who have said that you really need to love it, though, so if you have any reservations now that may be a red flag. But it certainly checks the finger coverage box, that's for sure!

This just popped up on Victor's feed so I thought I would add it to the mix. I don't have an Emilya but I can attest that his halos and pavé work are truly out of this world!

VC oval halo.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to comment about this "depth issue" you are fixating on (like a good PSer... fixation is our jam...)

I hear the same complaint/concern a lot when people talk about old cuts. "It's too deep! I am losing face up size!" etc etc etc.

But with old cuts depth is not a glitch! It's a feature!

In other words, the depth is an essential part of the cut that makes it look the way it looks. It is the THING that makes the old cut diamond beautiful! And so it is futile to worry about it. Better to worry about the warmth of the sun or the softness of velvet.

This diamond has the optics it has because of it's depth. It's a feature. Not a bug!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_20190530_085146469_HDR.jpg
Some more pics, is it just me or does the center look differently cut then the rest of the diamond? Maybe because of the depth?

That is obstruction caused by your camera or your head. All diamonds do it to some extent and in some lighting and some angles. I don't know enough about this style of cut to be able to comment on whether that degree of obstruction is normal or not.

PS: Don't judge the diamond based on how it looks in photos. Only use your eyes.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally feel it looks beautiful and ginormous. I'm sure really what your objection is. As others have said you have to feel it is worth it, but there are not going to be bigger ovals that are as well cut out there, I suspect.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

It is difficult to talk with no good options on the table.

There sure are larger ovals @ 4 carats & change - not worth mentioning.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Jennifee. Dear woman. Seriously. On ANY hand - this is HUGE. Please keep one thing in mind: we don't see things in 2D. OECs are wonderful because of their puffy head. Their length and breadth dimensions are often slightly smaller, but our eyes actually SEE depth. We see in volume - not just in face-up dimensions. That extra depth counts for something visually, so don't dismiss it!

And remember - you said it looks huge on a smaller hand. But even on the slimmest finger, length from knuckle to knuckle on two hands of the same length is still the same, even if finger circumference is different. So a bigger stone looks like a big diamond - even on a thicker finger, simple by virtue of the fact that the distance from knuckle to knuckle remains constant. (Granted, your 'small hand' model may be only 8 years old for all I know, so the distance from knuckle to knuckle might actually BE shorter. But either way, you get my general idea....)

And just to make a point - here's a photo comparing my 1.4ct solitaire next to a .64ct in a halo. Setting is EVERYTHING.

20190513_161624.jpg

Attachments

• Rings comp.jpeg
    Rings comp.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 53

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
@Jennifee
Playing a bit devil’s advocate here, the AV is quite deep at 78.6%, even compared with other AV ovals. Perhaps that contributes to the dark center you mentioned? How does it look in direct sunlight outside? And inside a store like Lowe’s, Walmart, or Tractor Supply? Or under a tree in dappled sunlight?

I’ve had a beautiful oval since 1993, it’s a deepish cut too, but not as extreme as the 6 ct AV. It’s stunning in all lighting conditions, no bow tie.
3.05 G VS1, 11.09 x 7.90 x 5.12, 64.8 depth, 60% table, 1.40 LxW.

Please have a look at these similarly cut ovals from Blue Nile. Especially the 6.04 I VS1 which faces up at 14.02 x 10.35 x 6.51, quite a bit larger than the AV. The others are in the low 5 carat range, and the 5.01 H vs1 exceeds the measurements of the AV.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-comparison

The AV is lovely. Only your eyes can decide which diamond speaks to your heart, but I think it’s worth looking around a little bit.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband bought me this amazing oval (AV oval) however it has more depth that I would like. And I'm on the fence about it! I love its performance but the depth really takes away from its face up length and width. 6ct Oval 13X9.5 depth is 7.4. Last pic is next to my 4ct RB
IMG_20190528_094757802.jpg
I would return it. I do not care for the pattern of the AV ovals, they always look like a MRB some one has just stepped on to me. It also seems a little small spread wise for the size. If you don't love it keep looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results