shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or let go?

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I think it is a beautiful stone and it's so hard to find a nice oval.

However, you don't seem sold. It's too much money if you don't love it.

I think it is beautiful, HUGE, and will be gorgeous in a ring, but you have to love it. Given that you are on the fence, I would return it. However, I think you may be hard pressed to find a stone that performs as well or even as near as well in that size range that doesn't have the same concerns or the dreaded bowtie...

I think I'm just a slow to warm up person and approach all things with hesitance, ha! But I've decided to keep it :) I have a good friend of mine who is a jeweler pull some other diamonds for me to look at similar in size and they don't even begin to compare.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I personally feel it looks beautiful and ginormous. I'm sure really what your objection is. As others have said you have to feel it is worth it, but there are not going to be bigger ovals that are as well cut out there, I suspect.

You are right. I had a friend of mine pull some ovals similar in size to look at and they were first of all nice as nice and secondly more $$. So this is my oval. Stay tuned for setting:)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would return it. I do not care for the pattern of the AV ovals, they always look like a MRB some one has just stepped on to me. It also seems a little small spread wise for the size. If you don't love it keep looking.

Lolol at mrb someone has stepped on. I'm picturing people squishing diamonds at august vintage :lol-2:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
@Jennifee
Playing a bit devil’s advocate here, the AV is quite deep at 78.6%, even compared with other AV ovals. Perhaps that contributes to the dark center you mentioned? How does it look in direct sunlight outside? And inside a store like Lowe’s, Walmart, or Tractor Supply? Or under a tree in dappled sunlight?

I’ve had a beautiful oval since 1993, it’s a deepish cut too, but not as extreme as the 6 ct AV. It’s stunning in all lighting conditions, no bow tie.
3.05 G VS1, 11.09 x 7.90 x 5.12, 64.8 depth, 60% table, 1.40 LxW.

Please have a look at these similarly cut ovals from Blue Nile. Especially the 6.04 I VS1 which faces up at 14.02 x 10.35 x 6.51, quite a bit larger than the AV. The others are in the low 5 carat range, and the 5.01 H vs1 exceeds the measurements of the AV.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-comparison

The AV is lovely. Only your eyes can decide which diamond speaks to your heart, but I think it’s worth looking around a little bit.

I have played with it quite a bit in different light settings, haven't had the guts to take it out to target or the grocery store but I have horrid florescent lighting in my garage and laundry room and it still looked good! The link that you shared didn't bring me to what you were looking at but I found the 6ct in a search and honestly my husband told me that he didn't pay full price for the AV and it was much less than the 6ct on bluenile... so I guess we got a "deal." I had a friend of mine pull some similar in size to look at and although some of them were smaller in weight the price wasn't that much of a difference and they didn't perform as well.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... other diamonds for me to look at similar in size and they don't even begin to compare.

I could not recall anything listed interesting enough to mention as a contender (then checked too); the size is easy enough to match from 4-something upward, much more likely over 5 - & the AVO has much more to offer.
In fact, I do not expect a typical oval to stand to comparison, but perhaps one of the too rare OEC type long stones - if it happened to have the right proportions; there is no such option RTW.

Pt. - 'oval'

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results