shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep or let go?

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
My husband bought me this amazing oval (AV oval) however it has more depth that I would like. And I'm on the fence about it! I love its performance but the depth really takes away from its face up length and width. 6ct Oval 13X9.5 depth is 7.4. Last pic is next to my 4ct RB
IMG_20190528_095055546_HDR.jpg IMG_20190528_095016885_HDR.jpg IMG_20190528_094757802.jpg

Last edited:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Sorry the pics are so blurry I dropped my phone pretty good this weekend...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my 2 cents, having not seen a ton of ovals in person:

if you'd rather not have an oval, let go. if you want an oval, keep. i don't know if there are ovals out there with great performance that don't have the depth issue. hopefully some oval experts will chime in. It looks like a great size on your finger.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
my 2 cents, having not seen a ton of ovals in person:

if you'd rather not have an oval, let go. if you want an oval, keep. i don't know if there are ovals out there with great performance that don't have the depth issue. hopefully some oval experts will chime in. It looks like a great size on your finger.

I have been on the hunt for a fantastic preforming oval for a long time now! This one preforms great its just that I'm not sure if its worth the sacrifice in less face up size and a huge depth. I do think the size is nice for my finger but I'm sure I could always do bigger ;-)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got that 6 ct Opulence oval?? You lucky duck!! I've seen that baby in the flesh and IT. IS. WOW!!

I'd keep it. Ovals go dead looking pretty easily. But ones like this are...:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

For what it's worth, the oval looks markedly larger than your round. What a pair of diamonds to own! Have you thought about a halo? Ovals with halos are just beyond. Alternately, half moons then tapered baguettes for extra width? I mean, this girl would look amazing in a hessian sack!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what you are missing in face-up size... it looks very substantial in size from my perspective. It also looks amazing on your hand. I love the visual of the table size and the crown size. I'm not even a huge oval fan and that one is really appealing to me. Just my input. You need to be happy (thrilled!) with it. Do you love how it looks on you? Forget numbers and measurements... do you like how it looks? Do you like how it performs? To me, that should be what weighs into your decision. I just read the carat size... with 6 carats I think you can have some weight in the depth and it not impact the perceived size of the diamond!!! Please try to get more photos... I want to see, it's really pretty!

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
You got that 6 ct Opulence oval?? You lucky duck!! I've seen that baby in the flesh and IT. IS. WOW!!

I'd keep it. Ovals go dead looking pretty easily. But ones like this are...:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

For what it's worth, the oval looks markedly larger than your round. What a pair of diamonds to own! Have you thought about a halo? Ovals with halos are just beyond. Alternately, half moons then tapered baguettes for extra width? I mean, this girl would look amazing in a hessian sack!!

Yes, it was a total surprise for my birthday. I've been stalking it for about 6 months now..:whistle:. It definitely has the performance WOW factor! I think I would like to halo it as that was my original plan however I have noticed that side stones are becoming very popular!

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure what you are missing in face-up size... it looks very substantial in size from my perspective. It also looks amazing on your hand. I love the visual of the table size and the crown size. I'm not even a huge oval fan and that one is really appealing to me. Just my input. You need to be happy (thrilled!) with it. Do you love how it looks on you? Forget numbers and measurements... do you like how it looks? Do you like how it performs? To me, that should be what weighs into your decision. I just read the carat size... with 6 carats I think you can have some weight in the depth and it not impact the perceived size of the diamond!!! Please try to get more photos... I want to see, it's really pretty!

It does look like it is a good size but I feel like it could be maybe bigger? Its performance is fantastic and I love the look of it! It looks like a RB but elongated.
IMG_20190528_141553902_HDR.jpg IMG_20190528_141657919.jpg IMG_20190528_141731295_HDR.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I wouldn't halo it. I just think it will be too big. I think it is so exceptional on its own why take anything away from that! But just my opinion. You certainly cannot go wrong either way!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's a fantastic and extremely rare stone! :love::love::love: I'd rather have an outstanding cut that faces up a little smaller than almost any ordinary oval, because generally, they basically never approach the light return of an ideal cut round. It definitely looks larger than your round, which is also gorgeous! I think it would look fantastic in a delicate pave halo setting such as the ones Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch do!

Last edited:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.53 AV oval, so I'm biased. It's the most awesome oval I've ever seen. That one looks AMAZING on your hand!!

Thats awesome! I'm sure everyone who owns an AV oval is on here! haha! They have quite the buzz! Thank you, I'm lucky to have much smaller left fingers than right so things definitely appear larger on that hand.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I wouldn't halo it. I just think it will be too big. I think it is so exceptional on its own why take anything away from that! But just my opinion. You certainly cannot go wrong either way!!!

You make a very good point! Thats almost exactly what my husband said, but then he also might be motivated by the fact that simple probably = less $$. I have had my eye on this sort of setting: https://www.instagram.com/p/7ESmTPpGj2/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little startled at the depth after comparing it to other August Vintage ovals- nearly, or in some cases over, 10% more than smaller ct size. I'm also not sure how others are discussing the great performance other than branding, since I didn't see an ASET provided by Jon or on the AGS report.

I would find out how much more this diamond costs than a non-branded of similar faceup size.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it's a fantastic and extremely rare stone! :love::love::love: I'd rather have an outstanding cut that faces up a little smaller than almost any ordinary oval, because generally, they basically never approach the light return of an ideal cut round. It definitely looks larger than your round, which is also gorgeous! I think it would look fantastic in a delicate Victor Canera Emilya setting, maybe the split shank version!

Yes definitely rare! To me performance is just about everything.... But I also like size! I think part of the problem is that it isn't set and I know everything looks larger once its set especially if there is a nice complimentary halo around it. I looked up the VC split shank with halo! Gorgeous!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd halo it if you want it to look bigger and different from your round, but I've been known to halo just about anything :lol::lol::lol: I guess if a stone is deep in this case the trade off is the outstanding cut. But with extra depth yes you do lose out in face up size.....

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I'm a little startled at the depth after comparing it to other August Vintage ovals- nearly, or in some cases over, 10% more than smaller ct size. I'm also not sure how others are discussing the great performance other than branding, since I didn't see an ASET provided by Jon or on the AGS report.

I would find out how much more this diamond costs than a non-branded of similar faceup size.

Similar face up within the I or H color range have between 80-95k but are a smaller carat weight like 4.5-5ish. I had my friend pull several for me that she thought would be better priced but in the other stones I have to say an I color did show more yellow than the AV I 6ct. It does honestly look about 2 colors higher than it is. IMO. My RB that its next to in the pic is a G and to my *untrained eye* they look very close in color. All things that I'm considering though!

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
Is this an upgrade to replace the round or will you be keeping both and switching them up? If I had both, I would three stone halo the round instead. I would want the largest stone as my simple solitaire option, not the smaller one.

EarlyBirdAsscher

Rough_Rock
I wonder if the extra depth could be contributing to its excellent performance. I know that diamdb.com will say that some of the AV emeralds face up small for their weight, but my understanding is that’s part of the science of cutting for that type of performance. Maybe similar is true for ovals.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Is this an upgrade to replace the round or will you be keeping both and switching them up? If I had both, I would three stone halo the round instead. I would want the largest stone as my simple solitaire option, not the smaller one.

I would have both and just switch them up. Originally I saw this on vacation and tried it on and fell in love and there started the oval obsession a year ago... https://afjewelers.com/collections/...amond-3-07-carats-and-round-diamonds-platinum So there also started the halo idea. I wasn't really looking to get a such a large diamond at first but I just kept looking and the more I looked the more I decided I "needed" a sizable oval...

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
It's beyond delicious. I'd add bullet sides to accent, but wowza! The size is perfecto!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh I like the idea of tapered bullet sidestones... :dance:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep it, but it sounds like you’re really not that happy about it. If you’re not happy at first, i don’t think you’ll be happier later but IDK

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results