shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep my solitaire low or re-set a little higher?

Keep my solitaire low or set a little higher?

• Keep it low

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Go higher

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I loooove my DK 6-prong knife edge solitaire, and how the diamond is set low, with the prongs extending out wide, scooping and cradling the diamond like it’s resting in a bowl - but I wonder sometimes if I’d like to have it reset a little higher for a change.

I’m about to send it in for a repair and resize, or I might have a near-duplicate made. If I have another one made, I’d have the shank lengthened out a little at the bottom, just so it’s deeper than some bands that stick out beyond the bottom it as it is now (kinda bugs me). And while I’m at it, I might consider setting the stone up more and see if I like that, if it makes it appear any larger or perform at all differently. I know the closer to your eye, the larger it may appear - but with the outward reach of the prongs gone as they’re lifted more upwards, maybe it won’t seem bigger after all. So I guess it’s mainly a question or what’s most aesthetically pleasing. Interested to see what y’all think!

A9BA4197-AB84-4B08-9D17-B10E3A01227B.jpeg
5088C2BF-115A-4E88-AD5B-B39CE5A4F87E.jpeg
11ABEBDA-0A4E-487E-91E4-C353968DAA96.jpeg

Here are some higher set Tiffany settings, close in size to my 1.67ct stone
702AAEAD-E64E-4CFB-8618-BD18CE3D57B8.jpeg
E5B564CE-618A-4A1E-B156-5B09F4E45561.jpeg C8598F35-DB46-4D89-9114-0A6EE09C1423.jpeg

Attachments

• 63294ACE-93C9-474E-BC03-4E398FE06ED5.jpeg
    63294ACE-93C9-474E-BC03-4E398FE06ED5.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 6

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Do what feels best to you.

That being said, you asked for our honest opinions, and mine is that I don't care for it as low as it is set. I prefer it to have more of a graceful neck, life the Tiffany's.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would prefer it set a bit higher. Nothing outrageous but I would like to see all of the stone from the side view.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
My eyes almost always prefer a lower set diamond, but that's me.
Go with what your heart tells you.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I loooove my DK 6-prong knife edge solitaire, and how the diamond is set low, with the prongs extending out wide, scooping and cradling the diamond like it’s resting in a bowl - but I wonder sometimes if I’d like to have it reset a little higher for a change.

I’m about to send it in for a repair and resize, or I might have a near-duplicate made. If I have another one made, I’d have the shank lengthened out a little at the bottom, just so it’s deeper than some bands that stick out beyond the bottom it as it is now (kinda bugs me). And while I’m at it, I might consider setting the stone up more and see if I like that, if it makes it appear any larger or perform at all differently. I know the closer to your eye, the larger it may appear - but with the outward reach of the prongs gone as they’re lifted more upwards, maybe it won’t seem bigger after all. So I guess it’s mainly a question or what’s most aesthetically pleasing. Interested to see what y’all think!

E5B564CE-618A-4A1E-B156-5B09F4E45561.jpeg C8598F35-DB46-4D89-9114-0A6EE09C1423.jpeg

I prefer it medium set. Not too low and not to high that it would get caught on everything.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
What’s your lifestyle like? I had my current ring designed to be low because I am in a stage where I can’t be delicate either my hands and don’t want it catching on things. Bonus is I also like low set rings

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like low set stones however the head doesn't look quite as integrated as it might be. It might just be the reflection of the metal, but it almost looks a bit separate from the shank. Not that there is space, but it doesn't flow as well as I think it should.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Team low profile here, but that’s what my lifestyle demands. If you’re having difficulty wearing bands with it and/or need a change then perhaps you should change it. It’s really pretty as is though!!!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I like low set stones however the head doesn't look quite as integrated as it might be. It might just be the reflection of the metal, but it almost looks a bit separate from the shank. Not that there is space, but it doesn't flow as well as I think it should.

Thanks for your input - I wonder if it's because I requested that the donut be built up higher? I learned from previous rings that I like being able to see the profile of the solitaire over top of a band (vs the band profile covering up my view of the solitaire), and it's also helped keep the prongs from getting hit by bands.. if I have a new version made, I'd love any suggestions on how to go about adjusting so it flows better.

Not sure if this helps but here's another view

IMG_0143.jpg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your comments and votes! Each time I check the poll there are more votes, but it's always at 50/50. Just like me, I'm going back and forth.

I'll think why not change it up? then look down at my ring and think, why change what I know I love? I'd probably still love it slightly higher, though, and it would be nice to have a shiny new ring made just for this stone, that hasn't been sized up twice, is out of round, with a bent head... but it can be repaired, and for a whole lot less than a new one. Hoping to make up my mind today!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
@e2the3rd I selected keep it low. If you are looking to have a new design made, here is my favorite solitaire design. It's by A. Jaffe
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.47.00 AM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd personally prefer it a touch higher (more like the tiffany setting). I have a tiffany style solitaire and I adore it from every angle, so I am likely biased haha

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to stretch it up just a tad which would make it more of a medium/medium-low. While I think I* would like that better,
I'm not sure if its worth the effort (or cost) to you.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am for scooching it up just a bit higher. But if it requires remaking the ring, I'd probably be thinking twice and what I would want in a new setting.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always adored the classic Tiffany soli but yours is WOW. It has an almost Victorian quality to it and I love how the prongs "cup" the stone so delicately. I also like the way it's perched on top of the shank. So for me it's not so much about the height -- it's the look of the ring itself that I enjoy. I'm a fan!!

That said, I do also like higher settings and you'd be surprised how different the diamond will look, even if the change is only 1-2 mm. It's so personal though - some people crave change to keep things interesting (e.g. I'm a serial resetter), while others prefer one look and never grow tired of it. Either way, you can't lose because both styles are beautiful!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I've always adored the classic Tiffany soli but yours is WOW. It has an almost Victorian quality to it and I love how the prongs "cup" the stone so delicately. I also like the way it's perched on top of the shank. So for me it's not so much about the height -- it's the look of the ring itself that I enjoy. I'm a fan!!

That said, I do also like higher settings and you'd be surprised how different the diamond will look, even if the change is only 1-2 mm. It's so personal though - some people crave change to keep things interesting (e.g. I'm a serial resetter), while others prefer one look and never grow tired of it. Either way, you can't lose because both styles are beautiful!

Aww, thanks so much! I've always loved how it turned out to have an almost antique quality as well, since I love love antique rings. It wouldn't have that effect if it wasn't set low. But yeah, I'm suddenly craving a change and I'm curious how different the diamond will look if it went even a little higher, especially now with you saying that. I am a little afraid of a new ring not turning out as good as this one, though! This one was a redo because I didn't love the first one, and that's not the only time that's happened. I just need a second almost identical ring with a slightly larger stone set slightly higher, that's all

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post more pics? Real life perspective?
Frontal angles with stacks?

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post more pics? Real life perspective?
Frontal angles with stacks?

why coitainly! I have a ridiculous amount of pictures with the many bands I've tried

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input - I wonder if it's because I requested that the donut be built up higher? I learned from previous rings that I like being able to see the profile of the solitaire over top of a band (vs the band profile covering up my view of the solitaire), and it's also helped keep the prongs from getting hit by bands.. if I have a new version made, I'd love any suggestions on how to go about adjusting so it flows better.

Not sure if this helps but here's another view

IMG_0143.jpg

Why mess with perfection? This is it!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the previous poster who pointed out the prongs cupping of the center stone. I love how graceful it looks. Like a yummy cupcake. Raising it up may lose that aspect and also there would probably be negative space below the stone?
I love it as is too.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock

If worried about your diamond looking smaller if you decide to get a higher setting, I found this that my help you decide:

Tapered ring shoulders:
Tapered shoulders feature a gradual narrowing of band width. In fact, tapering shoulders help to maximize the appearance of the setting. For example, a small diamond appears larger next to narrow shoulders.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the previous poster who pointed out the prongs cupping of the center stone. I love how graceful it looks. Like a yummy cupcake. Raising it up may lose that aspect and also there would probably be negative space below the stone?
I love it as is too.

Thanks @Slick1 ! I really do love mine as-is, but I like both ways. I know when I tried one on at Tiffany I was drooling! To answer your earlier question - I don’t need it set low for work or lifestyle, I kind of feel like low looks much more “me” though. If I were to go for higher, I could always send it back to have it set lower if I was missing it, right ? Like I said above I just need one of each so I’m heading out for lottery tickets now

Makem

Rough_Rock
I personally think u can go a little higher. I’d like my e-ring n wedding band to be flushed.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
It's a beautiful ring but if I'm being honest it looks kind of squatty to me. Like the flow between the shank and the head isn't quite right. I know you're going custom, but have you looked at the Valoria? It's still set pretty low and I feel it keeps some of the swoopiness of the prongs but that the shank & head are integrated quite gracefully. It looks so pretty from the side and imho makes the stone look bigger. I attached some pics of mine. Just if there are any design styles you could take from it.

It's all personal preference though of course!

Valoria-Petite-Six-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold-from-Whiteflash_66422_675...jpg
Ring.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for indulging my request for more pics! I think your ring is so cute as is—cute as a button! I think the height gives it that overall look. But as a serial resetter, I see no harm in resetting and keeping this one too bc I think you will also love it when it’s set higher. Guess I’m no help. Lol

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beautiful ring but if I'm being honest it looks kind of squatty to me. Like the flow between the shank and the head isn't quite right. I know you're going custom, but have you looked at the Valoria? It's still set pretty low and I feel it keeps some of the swoopiness of the prongs but that the shank & head are integrated quite gracefully. It looks so pretty from the side and imho makes the stone look bigger. I attached some pics of mine. Just if there are any design styles you could take from it.

It's all personal preference though of course!

Valoria-Petite-Six-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold-from-Whiteflash_66422_675...jpg
Ring.jpg

Thanks! Yes, squatty, but I like squatty. Valoria is so very pretty, as are many other swoopy designs, just not my preference. I studied so many solitaires and Tiffany’s is my favorite, hands down. I prefer the slight reverse taper to wider at the stone, and the knife edge. I had a tapered solitaire once before and I did not find it to make the stone look bigger at all. Also I’ve learned I prefer a little more substantial and slightly wider rings, they actually look better on my short fingers.

I do wish I could see what would make the flow between shank and head better on mine. If I were to have another made to have the stone set slightly higher, I was thinking only a minor tweak or two, like shrink the width of the donut between the shoulders and scoot the head down a smidge, that might be what would get closer to the Tiffany. If I were to do another but keep it low, maybe the base of the head and donut should be wider than it is now for a better flow ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results