shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep It Classic or Express My Personality??

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been stalking for ages and have learned so much from everyone here - thank you!!

My partner and I have selected a stone for my engagement ring, and he now wants design direction. However I find myself a bit confused about what I want, and I need some help straightening out my thoughts...

Dilemma #1: Design for longevity?
I've always leaned towards a more classic look with engagement rings because I'd ideally be wearing the same ring in its original design for the rest of our lives. However, my general jewellery look/personality is anything but - I tend to wear only fine jewellery pieces, one ring at a time, usually rather eye-catching and made of semi-precious or precious stones, set in gold. I generally get a lot of compliments because it's not a look that most pull off on a day to day basis, and I've been told by different people that the look is very quirkily "me" (for example, I'll wear a large amethyst and diamond cocktail ring on my index finger with a button down shirt and shorts).

Dilemma #2: To halo or not to halo?
Somewhat related to the above, while I really like the look of halos on many rings that I've seen, I've never *really* wanted a halo because I wanted something similar and more classic. I'm also worried that a halo will detract from the stone that we have (2.91ct round/F/super eye clean SI1/triple X hearts & arrows/ring size 5.5)

I was originally going more for a micropave band (+/- milgrain edges) with a simple solitaire held with a micropave basket. However, I've also really fallen in love with the look of Nicole Richie's Neil Lane ring http://bridalmusings.com/wp-content...g-Neil-Lane-Bridal-Musings-Wedding-Blog-1.jpg, because I especially love the Art Deco look, and the halo is set apart from the bezel centre stone, instead of wrapping tightly around it, which I feel will distract from our stone. Bearing in mind that I love cocktail rings, does this look too trendy or not engagement ring-y enough (if you know what I mean)? Should I be going back to the classic route?

What do you guys think?? Help please!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on your timing. I say, pick your dream stone first, set it in a simple solitaire, and get to know YOUR stone's personality. Then let the stone be your muse in creating a forever setting!

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
We do have the stone already, but it's not been set...he wants to be able to present my forever ring when he proposes (3-4 months) so I'm not sure I want to set it into a simple plain solitaire, get engaged then reset it...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your setting budget?
Are you open to working with an online vendor, remotely?
If not, where are you located so that we can try to recommend a vendor close to your location?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are quirky I think you should find something that is quirky yet has lasting appeal (for you).

Most/ a lot of Pricescopers that have been married for a long time have updated their settings/stones. I used to think that
I would wear my setting forever but after about 16 years I went for something new. My old setting was very classic...
baguette on either side in platinum. So, my thinking is to find something that matches your personality and that you
will love for a long time (may not be forever but who knows).

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
PintoBean said:
What is your setting budget?
Are you open to working with an online vendor, remotely?
If not, where are you located so that we can try to recommend a vendor close to your location?

We're based in HK and would definitely prefer to work with someone here or in Singapore, mainly because I'm not sure how sending diamonds internationally and safely would work...I'm not certain I'm brave enough to find out! We have excellent recommendations for jewellers here, including the lady from whom we purchased the stone. As far as settings go, we don't have too strict of a budget to be honest: from our perspective, at this juncture, a couple of extra thousands towards a beautiful, well crafted setting won't make too much more of a dent - the stone did it all by itself :lol:

tyty333 said:
If you are quirky I think you should find something that is quirky yet has lasting appeal (for you).

Most/ a lot of Pricescopers that have been married for a long time have updated their settings/stones. I used to think that
I would wear my setting forever but after about 16 years I went for something new. My old setting was very classic...
baguette on either side in platinum. So, my thinking is to find something that matches your personality and that you
will love for a long time (may not be forever but who knows).

Really good advice...thank you! I'm quite old fashioned and traditional in certain aspects, but also rather quirky in others. In many ways, I've always walked my own path, so I suppose a more unique ring would be better aligned with who I am. But there's something to be said about a classically beautiful ring that speaks to the more traditional side of me. Oh dear, this is what happens with an Aquarian personality..!!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i agree with going quirky. i have an unusual setting, can't imagine doing something similar to everyone else i know. NO OFFENSE to the ladies that love a classic look.

Maybe take a look at MaeVona settings. they have some very quirky and unusual settings along with some more classic settings. Some of their e-ring/w-band pairings are inventive and VERY different and i've seen (on their Instagram page) a classic setting paired with 2 bands to create a quirky look. Maybe a simple e-ring with a couple bands is the way to go. that way you can have a simple look some days and then add bands for a more different look. Check under Wedding Bands and RING SETS on the website. also take a look at their instagram page and the pairings there. the IRL pictures of their rings are much prettier than the CADs on their site.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I think your diamond sounds beautiful. A simple setting with a pave band will look gorgeous.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you test out the looks that you like. There are lots of places online that sell silver rings in various designs set with faux stones. Wear each design for few weeks to get a feel for what you prefer to wear on daily basis.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Would you be able to wear your quirky right hand right hand rings If you are also wearing a quirky engagement ring?

Just something to keep in mind.

I went with classic in the engagement ring department so that it wouldn't compete with quirky right hand rings when I wore them.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you have a bit of both? Maybe a classic E-ring, but include more creative and interesting wedding band(s). You can choose a setting that allows bands to set flush and build your own stack of fun rings. You can also add a ring jacket/enhancer. There are lots on the vintage market could be just the thing to give you some design flexibility.

Here's a few looks that might work just to show the idea. All work with a classic e-ring (I put in the vintage ring with ruby side stones a it is lovely, quirky but still stackable).

VINTAGE RUBY SIDE STONES STACK
coloredstack.jpg

Cool ENHANCERS
enhancer.jpg
enhancer-perar.jpg
il_570xn_197.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/listing/262627106/ornate-elegant-14k-white-gold-116ctw?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ring%20guard%20enhancer&ref=sr_gallery_23

ANNA SHEFFIELD
curvestack.jpg
nesting-pair-no_5ac612d0-bca9-4e04-8fdf-0465ade4ae1e_1024x1024.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not think the two are mutually exclusive.

You can have both.

And honestly, don't stress yourself out thinking "OMG! I have to love this design FOREVER AND EVER, it has to be perfect."

You can always reset the ring later on.

Make a list of what your thoughts are. Just write it out.

For example:

Do you want a flush fit wedding band? Or do you want the ring to be stand alone? Or are you okay with a gap?

If you went for a halo, what halo designs do you like best?

After you've narrowed down what is important to you, then look through Pinterest and our Show Me the Bling board. Narrow down your favorites to 3-5 choices.

You can have art deco AND still be classic. You can have a halo and still be timeless.

Don't think in absolutes. Try to find designs that are both classic BUT also have personality and are quirky. I'll share a few pictures that demonstrate that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is in for a reset after 17 years. I loved my original setting but my taste has changed over the years and I'm going from simple and classic to a bit more edgy. My setting of 1 emerald cut and two baguettes was classic Art Deco styling. My new version is adding half halos to the centre stone and two tapered baguettes added to the shoulders. I'm also elevating and curving the setting. So look at all the various options until one really "speaks" to you. And it doesn't necessarily have to be forever, in years to come if your taste has changed, a lovely re set is exciting and an enjoyable process. But try not to over think it or you'll be overwhelmed. There is soooo much choice out there. Enjoy the journey.

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
Thank you all SO much for your insights, and there are some beautiful rings that you've all sent along! Erika Winters' style is very much up my alley, and will be excellent design inspo.

shaggy1 said:
Would you be able to wear your quirky right hand right hand rings If you are also wearing a quirky engagement ring?

Just something to keep in mind.

I went with classic in the engagement ring department so that it wouldn't compete with quirky right hand rings when I wore them.

Really good point - I didn't really think about that. Something to chew on..

Thanks again everyone! Keep those design inspos and comments coming please if you come across anything that may suit...need all the help I can get!

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
Bron357 said:
My engagement ring is in for a reset after 17 years. I loved my original setting but my taste has changed over the years and I'm going from simple and classic to a bit more edgy. My setting of 1 emerald cut and two baguettes was classic Art Deco styling. My new version is adding half halos to the centre stone and two tapered baguettes added to the shoulders. I'm also elevating and curving the setting. So look at all the various options until one really "speaks" to you. And it doesn't necessarily have to be forever, in years to come if your taste has changed, a lovely re set is exciting and an enjoyable process. But try not to over think it or you'll be overwhelmed. There is soooo much choice out there. Enjoy the journey.

Sounds so beautiful...do you mind sharing photos of before/after?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with expressing your personality... I did with my engagement ring, and afterwards I had a brief moment of regret that I didn't get something simple and classic, but I tried wearing simple & classic costume jewelry rings around and they just aren't me. They didn't feel right or look right on my hand. I don't worry about it competing with anything else I'm wearing. I just wear it. That's also very "me," and I understand people vary in terms of what they're willing to smash together.

FWIW I think the halo you posted is classic enough to stand the test of time, while still being unusual enough to not be common-looking. I actually think it's a pretty good balance between classic and quirky.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely go classic with the e-ring because it will be timeless. You have your other hand (wrists, ears, neck) to continue buying fashion or quirky rings and other jewelry and whatever pleases you at the moment!

I think a 2.9 ct stone is a beautiful size without a halo, but it you like a really big look, I'd go with a classy pave halo like Victor Canera's Emilya. I believe this diamond was also about 3 cts.

_29052.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That said, if you want something along the lines of the Neil Lane halo (which I do like), there are some other great designs, too!

The first is designed by CVB Inspired Design. Second by Single Stone.

cvbcasablanca.jpg

_29053.jpg

_32967.jpg

_38074.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun dilemma. Your stone sounds gorgeous btw. Bridal jewelrey is personal. That's why there are thousands of setting styles. Not everyone wants the same thing. Look at lots and lots of rings. There are so many sources, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. you will know what makes you sit up and take notice and what is meh. No one here can tell you what style is best for you. But I wll say that tastes can change over time, but that is no reason to stick to a "safe" classic style if that doesn't speak to your personality. If you can, go try on different rings to see what you like in your finger. Have fun deciding and keep us posted!

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
Almost a year ago, I made the original post above, and now I'm back with an update!

He proposed to me a few months ago with a beautiful bespoke ring that he designed together with a designer based here in Hong Kong, who has a passion for the Art Deco period, but with a modern twist.

Handcrafted from platinum, with the most gorgeous detailing, the ultimate surprise for me (I had zero input on the design, except for telling him what I didn't think I wanted) was the addition of emeralds into the ring - it's truly the dream ring that I couldn't even have imagined!
I'm planning on wearing it with a thin plain platinum wedding band that slips under the ring itself (see pic 3) - there'll be a diamond eternity band in my future, for when I choose to leave the engagement ring home...but let's give the poor man some time to recover. Heh.

Pics attached - as they say, pictures never quite do it justice. Having worn it for a few months now, I never tire of constantly looking at my hand to admire it...and I get a ton of compliments at how unique it is, even from random strangers. I guess that answers my original question in the first post!!

Thank you all so much for your input, and for all the inspo pics - I hope this thread helps someone else too :)

ring1.jpg ring2.JPG ring3.JPG ring4.jpg ring5.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do go local, I will be very interested to follow your experience. I'm in HK too but have not yet found a jeweler who can make rings to the quality I'm looking for AND set outside stones. (Most would rather sell you the complete ring and the few who do work on outside stones have not impressed me with their work.)

ingenue214

Rough_Rock
If you do go local, I will be very interested to follow your experience. I'm in HK too but have not yet found a jeweler who can make rings to the quality I'm looking for AND set outside stones. (Most would rather sell you the complete ring and the few who do work on outside stones have not impressed me with their work.)

Heya, we did go local! My update is just above your post - if you're interested in her details and her style of work, I can send you her name - she uses FairTrade metals as well which I really appreciated.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wonderful!! It's a gorgeous ring and the craftsmanship looks excellent. If you can share the name of the company that would be great :)

Congratulations on your engagement :wavey:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is striking, and in a good way! :)

Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results