shape
carat
color
clarity

Kay Jewelers vs. Walmart Jewelry question?

bal1985

Rough_Rock
I bought a 10K White Gold 1/4 Carat t.w. Diamond Promise Ring from Kay Jewelers for my girlfriends birthday yesterday. Click on link for picture/description.

https://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|22640902|15064|15064.20789

I checked out the Walmart website this morning and found this. 1/2 Carat T.W. 3-Stone Diamond Ring in 10kt White Gold
picture/description.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/1-2-Carat-T.W.-3-Stone-Diamond-Ring-in-10kt-White-Gold/11037487

I have no clue about diamonds, the 4 C's, etc. I'm wondering why the 1/4c diamond ring form Kay's is more expsenive than the 1/2c diamond ring from Walmart? Am I just paying for the "name" at Kay's? Or are Kay's rings better quality than Walmart. I read both websites and it seems that the clarity, color, cut, etc. is the same for both rings, just that the Walmart ring is bigger and cheaper? I'm confused on what I should do, if their the same quality why not buy the bigger diamond for the cheaper price, right?

Thanks everyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I think they sound like very similar quality. I actually prefer the style of the one from Walmart. You probably can't do a lot better in this price range than these. Walmart seems to have better prices. I like this one for a promise ring:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11969699&findingMethod=rr

When it comes time for you to think about engagement rings in the future, please remember to come back here because few of the mall jewelers will give you good quality for your money. We can help you find something within your budget at that time!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
It's really hard to make a comparison like this.

1. They may or may not be the same quality. Neither is certified by any lab so it's difficult to say whether Kay's subjectively determined HIJ/I2-I3 is better or worse than Walmart's subjectively determined HIJ/I2-I3.

2. When you buy a finished piece of jewelry, only part of the price is for the raw materials (i.e., the stones and the gold weight). You are also paying for design and workmanship. One of these rings might be better crafted than the other. And the designs are quite different and one is likely more pleasing to you than the other. Also, you are paying for the seller's reputation, warranty, return policy... there are a lot of intangible but important factors that go into the price and makes a comparison like this pretty tricky.

3. The carat weights on these are the total weight. The Walmart ring has a higher total weight, but it also has three larger stones instead of one. It's hard to tell, but it's possible that the Kay ring has a larger center stone than the Walmart ring.

I think you should get whichever one you like better! If you've already given her the one and you both like it, I think you should stick with it, personally, because there's also the sentimental value that is kind of cast aside if after the fact you start hunting for the best bargain, KWIM?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was under the impression he hadn't given her the ring yet. But if he has, then yes, I'd let it go.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I reread the OP and I think you're right! I had originally read it to mean that her birthday was yesterday, but now I see it probably means that he bought the ring yesterday.

bal1985

Rough_Rock
I did give her the ring from Kay's already. After checking out Walmart's website today, I did call to tell her that their are a couple 1/2c rings from there that cost less than the 1/4c ring I just bought her. Where not loaded with money and she understands that so she'd be happy with a $50 ring. Honestly though, she told me shes love her ring but would rather have a 1/2c if possible. We both like the ring from Kay's it's nice, but if I can upgrade to a bigger carat for the same price, why not take advantage of it? I know there's sentimental value and taking it back defeats the whole purpose of a "birthday gift" but she would def like a bigger rock to show off.

I made the mistake and didn't do any research and just went out a bought a ring. I thought If I bought a ring from a "big jewelery chain" and it had somewhat of a high price tag it would automatically mean that the ring is better than Walmart, etc. I thought, the higher the price the better chance that its a better quality ring.

I don't know what to do.

P.S. - I got her a promise ring, it's her birthday, I'm not looking for engagement ring, not proposing or anything.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My suggestion is to tell her to look at the rings on the WalMart site and see if there are any she likes better in the $350-$500 range! You won't be out any extra money and she can maybe get more diamond weight!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1299179254|2863935 said:
I agree with DS that I like the style of the walmart one better.

but what about something like this? ID Jewelry also has some other lower priced bands but for some reason I can't link them. She could even stack something like this with her eventual wedding set
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=8542

I will also agree with slg that there are some nice diamond bands here under $500 that could be used for a promise ring and these are 14k gold which is a little nicer quality. I'd show her this site, also:

http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php?cPath=22_27

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1299181364|2863970 said:
slg47|1299179254|2863935 said:
I agree with DS that I like the style of the walmart one better.

but what about something like this? ID Jewelry also has some other lower priced bands but for some reason I can't link them. She could even stack something like this with her eventual wedding set
http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_27&products_id=8542

I will also agree with slg that there are some nice diamond bands here under $500 that could be used for a promise ring and these are 14k gold which is a little nicer quality. I'd show her this site, also:

http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php?cPath=22_27

I agree with DS and slg...I like the walmart ring better...but see what your GF says. Also, check out id jewelry. They have
some nice reasonably priced rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! We certainly are all agreeing today! :lol: :appl:

bal1985

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help.

One more thing.

I really like this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/10kt-White-Gold-1-2ct-TDW-Diamond-Five-Stone-Anniversary-Ring/12518505/

Under Item Descriptionit says...
10kt White Gold 1/2ct TDW Diamond Five-Stone Anniversary Ring
"Celebrate your love with this 1/2 ct anniversary diamond ring. Show your wife how much you love her with beautiful diamonds. Crafted in 10k white gold."

Then under "Specifications....
Total Carat Weight: 1/2 Carat & Under
Model No.: 0007500105358
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 2.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported

Two questions...
-So this ring has 5 diamonds that all together equals out to a half carat?
- Under "Total Carat Weight" what does 1/2 Carat & Under mean?

I think I'm getting confused between Total Carat Weight and Total Diamond Weight...

You guys are life savers ;-)

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above posters! :)) Just take a look at ID Jewelry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Total carat weight and total diamond weight mean the same. The weight will rarely be exactly a half carat, so they are informing you that it will be close to a half carat but maybe just under.

z

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1299182691|2864000 said:
Lol! We certainly are all agreeing today! :lol: :appl:

maybe we should flag this post for future reference. doesn't happen often. lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results