shape
carat
color
clarity

K/L Diamond- which gold color?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am considering a K/L OEC diamond. However, I am not sure what color the prongs or basket should be. I want the diamond to appear whiter. I was thinking of doing yellow band but with white/platinum basket. I really like this style but make the band yellow and leave the melee and prongs white.
Any suggestions welcome and if anyone had warm stones, please post pictures!

51B56DB1-9496-478D-A4E2-E574DA0EE010.png

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
for a k-l color diamond, i understand you can set in either a cold white metal or a warm metal and both would enhance the diamond to look very good, especially so for old cut or old cut style stones. i've personally seen numerous old cut stones L color stones in platinum and the look is really wonderful.

the setting you like in the image is very beautiful. i love a two tone ring or leave the style as is in the image. both are gorgeous

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
That setting is really beautiful!! I agree with the above, i love lower color cuts set in platinum. Mine is an I color, and it looks amazingly white in most lighting. I would be more concerned if the melee stones used in the setting are whiter, that may cause the stone to appear, in comparison, yellower. You may want to request lower color melee. Just something to consider.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
That setting is really beautiful!! I agree with the above, i love lower color cuts set in platinum. Mine is an I color, and it looks amazingly white in most lighting. I would be more concerned if the melee stones used in the setting are whiter, that may cause the stone to appear, in comparison, yellower. You may want to request lower color melee. Just something to consider.

Thank you! Good point about the melee being lower in color too.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
here is a close up of my K color OEC set in platinum so you can see the prongs against the stone. I think a YG shank and melee and prongs white would look beautiful.
photo 3.JPG
So gorgeous!!! I love a classic solitaire!!! That’s what I really want but looks so weird in my cubby hands.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yellow will make it appear more tinted to my eyes.

I have an M in 18kt yellow, as well as an L in 18kt yellow. They appear to have more body color than my o/p set in platinum.

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
Just received my K cushion :mrgreen:
It’s set in yellow gold with white gold prongs ... looks pretty white most of the time warm vanilla at other times which looks really romantic :love: 787474 787473 787478

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
My view is that it will look more white set into a white metal, and when it does turn vanilla in certain lighting, the contrast with the white metal is deeply appealing. Diamonds do pick up a tiny bit of color from the surrounding metal, as you can see when a light yellow diamond is "cupped" to make it deeper yellow. These lowerish colors in old cuts, especially well-cut old cuts, are an amazing intersection of beauty and value.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Here are my K-L OECs in their original platinum home and their new yellow gold home: D9C922A0-AF01-4648-8814-634458575CFD.jpeg 58BBEE4C-20D2-43CD-BCFC-10EBC3E73C60.jpeg DCB6892B-75BB-4DA3-B81B-95B96D5ED6D7.jpeg EDDA38F6-F3E6-4750-9846-A298B3A4FC87.jpeg 1107E3CA-B056-4F31-B943-0524215345CA.jpeg 9ED80491-0582-4FD8-8232-7BC229B07BB2.jpeg

I have to go find this thread (I'm hoping there is one)...what a beautiful "make-over". I'm in love!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have to go find this thread (I'm hoping there is one)...what a beautiful "make-over". I'm in love!

Thanks! I do have a couple threads. I’d link them but I’m out running around right now. They should be easy to find via my profile though. =)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I do have a couple threads. I’d link them but I’m out running around right now. They should be easy to find via my profile though. =)2

Oh, I don't mind looking them up at all, I am sorry I missed them until now. That is absolutely fabulous!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
here is a close up of my K color OEC set in platinum so you can see the prongs against the stone. I think a YG shank and melee and prongs white would look beautiful.
photo 3.JPG

My L colour OEC in platinum

Just received my K cushion :mrgreen:
It’s set in yellow gold with white gold prongs ... looks pretty white most of the time warm vanilla at other times which looks really romantic :love: 787474 787473 787478

These are to die for!!!

OP: my engagement ring is a K colour marquise, in a platinum halo with K coloured melee, then on a yellow band.

I went back and forth on the melee and have stuck with it because I wanted the centre stone to look warm.

If you don't want a contrast, I would suggest you go with a simple platinum setting, and if melee is involved, ask that it matches the centre stone to the eye in most lights (just be aware that it won't in all lights)

Loving this thread though; I have a huge thing now for J-O coloured diamonds. They just make me drool lol

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my K colored (AGS) AVR in yellow gold with white tipped prongs. Just be aware, regardless of setting, you'll definitely see tint, and if it's an L in color, you'll see more tint than in the diamond in these photos. But yellow gold works *with* tint, rather than against it. Whether you go white or yellow metal, you're setting up a contrast. If you use a white metal, your stone will contrast with something whiter, making it look more warm. If you put it against yellow, you're contrasting it with yellow, making the stone look more white and masking the color by comparison.

I also have K colored bezel set earrings. They look completely white. The bezel masks the side warmth 100%, and they're very well cut, so the light return is all you see. My EC is also bezel set and, even tho it's an S-T, while not looking white, the up-facing tint in it looks warm and buttery, and the side tint, again, is masked 100%. Perhaps worth considering?

I ultimately sold my AVR because I disliked the visible tint. Had I bezel-set it and done away with the side tint, leaving only the upwards facing flashes of color, I think I'd still have that stone. So there's a lesson in there somewhere. (for me, mostly...)

Good luck, @Morenita21! :wavey:

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2321 copy.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy!
I already follow you on Instagram. My name is Jewelryocd. I absolutely love your ring!!!

Thank you! I just wanted to demonstrate any metal could work. I think rules go out the window when it comes to the individual stone if that makes sense! Now off to make sure I follow you ❤️

ETA. Now I am following you! :)

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I just wanted to demonstrate any metal could work. I think rules go out the window when it comes to the individual stone if that makes sense! Now off to make sure I follow you ❤️

ETA. Now I am following you! :)

Just saw this!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Just gave you a follow too ;-) I have a crush on Bubbalah

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.97kSI1.png K