shape
carat
color
clarity

K Color Diamond in White Gold Setting?

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24
Hey Everyone,

I have learned a lot about diamonds in the past month reading on this website and talking to jewelers.

I am getting my commission check in and am very close to purchasing an engagement ring for my girlfriend :dance:

My budget is $12,000 and I am trying to get as close to a 2 carat diamond as possible. I was looking a J color diamonds but It is very difficult to find a larger J diamond and setting for $12k.

My question is, can I drop down to a K color diamond in a white gold setting? I already have the setting picked out:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1364.htm

The expert on WhiteFlash said that setting would hide the side color and looking at the face a K color will look great. It makes sense to me and I can find a 2 carat K color diamond in my price range but I am worried that it will look a little yellow or brown.

What do y'all recommend?
 

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
8,213
I'm just wondering why you're looking at putting 15% of your budget towards the setting, but having to drop down to a K, when you want as close to 2ct as possible? Would it not make more sense to put as much as possible towards the stone?
 

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
563
Really just depends on how color sensitive you are. A well cut round can face up pretty white. but a side view of the pav and a K will be noticeably tinted. At least to me they are. That setting may help to hide some tint though. I know some will say to look for something under the 2ct mark but I've tried that and there aren't many choices.

I've been looking at 2cts and you'd have to spend near all of that $12k. There are some 1.8ct that would allow you to get that setting and stay within budget. But you will be giving up 3.-.4mm in size and to me that's noticeable. I would buy the cheapest solitaire setting and aim for a well cut 2ct. Down the road you can always change the setting when funds permit.
 

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24
motownmama|1448395495|3953663 said:
I'm just wondering why you're looking at putting 15% of your budget towards the setting, but having to drop down to a K, when you want as close to 2ct as possible? Would it not make more sense to put as much as possible towards the stone?

That is just the setting she wants. I sent it to other Jewelers and they said they could make it for much less if needed.
 

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 18, 2015
Messages
195
As someone else said -- it really depends on how color sensitive you are. I love the warmer stones but only when set in yellow gold. I would not set a K in white metal, definitely not with all of that f/g melee. I probably wouldn't even put a J in that setting given the melee. But I'm sure people do so and love their ring. It just depends one's eye and how one feels about it.
 

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
2,394
uploadfromtaptalk1372883059138.jpg

This is my K in white gold. It doesn't bother me, but I'm also not color sensitive.
 

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24
KaeKae|1448412944|3953775 said:
uploadfromtaptalk1372883059138.jpg

This is my K in white gold. It doesn't bother me, but I'm also not color sensitive.

I'm not very color sensitive either. Your ring looks great!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
20,049

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24

Shuane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
21
J
solgen|1448395908|3953664 said:
Really just depends on how color sensitive you are. A well cut round can face up pretty white. but a side view of the pav and a K will be noticeably tinted. At least to me they are. That setting may help to hide some tint though. I know some will say to look for something under the 2ct mark but I've tried that and there aren't many choices.

I've been looking at 2cts and you'd have to spend near all of that $12k. There are some 1.8ct that would allow you to get that setting and stay within budget. But you will be giving up 3.-.4mm in size and to me that's noticeable. I would buy the cheapest solitaire setting and aim for a well cut 2ct. Down the road you can always change the setting when funds permit.

I agree, I'd focus on the stone and place it in a plain setting. The beauty of the stone will speak for itself.
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,979
I personally think J and K are highly underrated. I don't mind. I get to enjoy them at a bargain price. I hope this trend continues.
Face up, a well-cut K is white. From a certain angle, under a certain lighting condition, against a certain background, J/K appears slight tinted, and when it does, I appreciate the natural color. Some people purposely build fancy color diamond rings with whiter side stones/melee. Question is not "will it appear tinted yellow or brown?", because it will sometimes. Question is "will you still appreciate the natural color?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK10TKoD_EQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0AH11dYcN4

I have a J in platinum setting. Some recommend at least I for white gold/platinum setting; I disagree. I am considering K color for my next purchase. But that's me, and I may be minority
 

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 30, 2015
Messages
911
One very important thing to remember is who you are giving this diamond to. Is she color sensitive? If she is, then it doesn't matter what anyone here says. If you don't know her preferences I would not recommend going below H, perhaps even G. I am rather color sensitive and can notice warmth in my J. This doesn't bother me at all, but my J is an old cut diamond and it looks very nice with a little warmth.

Also, in my experience a brown tint shows more than a yellow tint. But maybe this is only in my eyes.

I wouldn't buy a K unless I knew the person receiving it would like it. Just my 2c.

//aca :wavey:
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,244
I have two K's and am very happy with them.
It's a matter of taste, I know, but unless I put them right next to a D I don't notice the tint. If it's a well-cut stone the performance overrides tint, but there is nothing wrong with tint. IMO the warmth actually enhances the appearance.

joy5.jpg
p1100229.jpg
 

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24
Jimmianne|1448447214|3953966 said:
I have two K's and am very happy with them.
It's a matter of taste, I know, but unless I put them right next to a D I don't notice the tint. If it's a well-cut stone the performance overrides tint, but there is nothing wrong with tint. IMO the warmth actually enhances the appearance.

joy5.jpg
p1100229.jpg

Wow they look great! Face up I really can't tell the difference.
 

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
Messages
2,601
Both my 2 ct K and my 3 ct J were set in white gold. Both of mine had flourescence and were great cuts so I didn't see any problems with setting in white gold.

_760.png

_35371.jpg
 

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24
autumngems|1448467473|3954046 said:
Both my 2 ct K and my 3 ct J were set in white gold. Both of mine had flourescence and were great cuts so I didn't see any problems with setting in white gold.

Looks great!

When you say they were great cuts, does that mean they were graded "Excellent" on the lab report?
 

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
1,080
this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/smtr-helpful-threads-archive.131796/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/smtr-helpful-threads-archive.131796/[/URL]

Maybe the 3rd or 4th post down, there are links to threads of I, J, and K in platinum with lots of photos to look at. Of course, it's not totally accurate because the photos were not all taken under the same conditions, and how colors display on computer screens varies. But it gives you a relative idea. There is a big K RB in a Lockes solitiare setting, platinum. But it shows you tint from the side view.

White gold, if unplated and not that Stuller X1 or whatever it's called, has a slightly yellower tone and won't be white like platinum. Contrast between 14k wg and K won't be as obvious as platinum and K.
 

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2015
Messages
24
Thanks!

I spoke with my girlfriend and she said she would rather have a larger stone and she is alright with a K. Good news for me!

James Allen has a lot of nice K's but not the setting I want, just have to keep looking...
 

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Messages
261
I lately purchased a 1.3ct K from whiteflash, and I tried to drop it into a white gold solitaire setting, but the contrast is too large for my eyes. So I went with yellow gold, but I haven't received my finished ring yet.

On a side note, I think for a K, the body color really matters. Mine is yellow-toned, though I can see the tint from the side, I don't think it is ugly at all - it is very lovely pastel yellow. I think a brown-toned K color would look quite differently.
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,244
Stout33|1448558085|3954461 said:
Thanks!

I spoke with my girlfriend and she said she would rather have a larger stone and she is alright with a K. Good news for me!

James Allen has a lot of nice K's but not the setting I want, just have to keep looking...

That's exciting to hear. Getting a K you can really make the budget do wonderful things for her and the result will be beautiful.
Can't wait to see what you pick out.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top