shape
carat
color
clarity

K color diamond and setting choice?

imallcanadian

Rough_Rock
Opinions on the specs of this lab diamond would be appreciated. I purchased with the below rose gold setting and now am having second thoughts about the color grade. I like warm but not obviously yellow. I also very new to the HCA calculator. Does the stone rate well? Should I have gone with a setting with a white basket/prongs?

Screenshot_20210103-173854_Gallery.jpg 20210103_174030.jpg

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So, assuming it’s a CVD lab diamond you’re probably going to see more brown undertones than yellow. Do you have a picture or video of the actual diamond you could share?
Regarding cut, use the HCA tool to get the score but I don’t think it will rate especially well- the crown angle is quite shallow, and it was cut to be a very “spready” diamond. The angles are very outside GIA excellent or AGS Ideal so either some quality videos or an in person inspection would be needed to determine if it would be worth buying.
all that being said, if this is a right hand ring, or “fun” ring and you got a great price, you may be willing to compromise a bit on cut and color to get the size you want.

imallcanadian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding! Unfortunately I didnt screenshot or get a video of it saved, but it looked clear in the 360 image. It was $3600 usd altogether with the 14k rose gold setting (side stones approx .60 ct natural diamonds) - was that an ok price? Yes its a fun ring as a milestone gift for myself. I like to switch things up! Would a white gold basket be odd with this setting style?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
It’s hard to judge the diamond on numbers alone. If you saw the image, were happy with it, and already ordered it, I personally don’t see any point in second guessing your choice.
A white gold head would not be as flattering with a K- in fact, rose or yellow gold settings are often recommended for lower color stones so the metal isn’t as visually contrasting.
congrats on your upcoming milestone! Be sure to post some pics when your ring arrives- I hope it’s absolutely beautiful!

imallcanadian

Rough_Rock
They have a decent return policy - but wanted to get the community's opinion as I kind of pulled the trigger prematurely out of excitement. Ive heard that a rose gold head couls make the diamond even lower in colour.
Thank you so much will be sure to do that.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think the side stones are what will affect how the centre stone faces up. Are the side stones high colour? If so they will look icy and may make the K look warm. Have a look at my latest ring (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/completed-asscher-3-stone-ring.262097/#post-4868816)

The Asscher is an L (could pass as K easily) but I have set it in yellow gold with two higher (H or G) coloured MRBs as sides, set in white gold. I deliberately wanted contrast so chose this design. In some lighting, the difference between the L and H stones is minimal. Other times the L looks very vanilla and buttery. I think your K will be less yellow but it'd be less warm without the side stones.

imallcanadian

Rough_Rock
great point - i didn't think about the side stone contrast. Gorgeous ring by the way! So unique and one of a kind.

NatashaL

Rough_Rock
I am not diamond expert so I won’t comment there, but I think that setting is very pretty! I can’t wait to see the finished product.

NatashaL

Rough_Rock
very pretty. I love how it looks with the rose gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results