shape
carat
color
clarity

Just tell me what to do, please, I beg you all...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I can''t do this anymore. There are so many wonderful choices of what to do with my setting and my diamonds, I really am at a loss.

Do I go halo? If I do, round or square? Pave or no? Split shank?

If I get a solitare setting, 4 prong or 6? Tiffany style or Cathedral? Sidestones or no?

My band, do I get stackables and 1 on each side (thanks a lot Cellentani!
30.gif
), or should I get shadow band? I could go classic and get a plain white gold one? Should I just get a simple rounded bezel?

No wonder my husband left the country as I embarked on my journey. I don''t blame him, he''s on the other side of the world and is sick of hearing about it LOL. I can only imagine how bonkers he would be if he were here.
23.gif

Why does this have to be so hard?

I do have other things to worry about, but this one is the most fun
9.gif

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Noahsmom, I''m new to posting but have been a long time lurker. But I love the idea of a classic solitaire with half eternity bands on either side. That''s what I''m going for myself once I finally get my solitaire. If I was going to do a halo I would for sure want micro pave with split shank. That''s just me and what I love,,, there is so many terrific ladies and gents here I know everyone will help you pick the perfect setting!
5.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and Welcome to PS. There are many fabulous choices out there; I honestly would go try on a bunch of rings and see what setting best suits you. I thought I would love a halo but it was not flattering to my hand, I still think they are gorgeous but on other people
3.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
If you could have your *dream* set (money is no object!), what would it look like?

And since we're dealing with reality, what kind of a budget are you working with?
2.gif

Savvymon

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it's a good idea to start with the diamond?
Or break the ring down into smaller parts so your not so overwhelmed... Like whats your budget?
Or ask yourself a few questions such as: Am I a practicle person who uses their hands alot or a blingy peron who wants everyone to grab my hand and start drooling
11.gif
? Do I like the antique look or more modern styles?

Just an idea
2.gif

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
*sigh* the problem I have is this:

I have tried on halo's and they look wonderful. I have tried on solitares and I love them equally. I have tried on a few different styles and what ends up happening is I have commitment issues. I know this will be my set for the next 20 years.

I do know that bezel settings are not for me unless it is a wedding band or eternity band, neither are tension settings. I do prefer 4 prong over 6, but if the setting is right, then I can go either way. I am not a fan of yellow gold, I prefer white gold or platinum or palladium.

The budget really depends. I have already ordered my diamond, which should be coming in from JamesAllen.com tomorrow at 10:30am (but who's using that tracking number?
31.gif
) If I like the stone and decide to keep it, then I'm working with no more than $1900, if I return the stone then I am starting from scratch with about $3600. It is a round brilliant .87 H-Si1, ideal cut.

I did find a setting that was absolutely marvelous, and it took every bone in my body not to buy it because it was so expensive, but it screamed to me BUY ME!!

It was a Cheri Dori setting, but I don't have the style number or name. I would know it if I saw it, but I have yet to see it online anywhere.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I know, there''s so much eye-candy and eye-candy styles on PS that you can get lost in the shuffle. I think you should browse through the settings on PS or an online vendor''s catalog and see which photos you are drawn to. Your eyes will sort what''s too simple or busy.

Or you can go back to which rings you made comments on from SMTR and compare the different styles. Then narrow it down to three must-haves.

Or you can just get a simple solitaire and build from there.

Hope this helps!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Also, if you can, go try on different rings at a local jewelry store. You may or may not like certain styles once they are on your finger.

ETA: Sorry I missed the post where you already tried on different styles. If you budget allows, you can choose one style for your permanent e-ring and one style for a RHR gemstone ring. That way you can still have the best of both worlds.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 8:15:14 PM
Author: Savvymon
Maybe it''s a good idea to start with the diamond?

Or break the ring down into smaller parts so your not so overwhelmed... Like whats your budget?

Or ask yourself a few questions such as: Am I a practicle person who uses their hands alot or a blingy peron who wants everyone to grab my hand and start drooling
11.gif
? Do I like the antique look or more modern styles?

Just an idea

2.gif

I am a practical person, but I have had practical and now I want some bling to it, hand grabbing, drool inducing bling. Sadly with my budget, my options are narrowed down.

I have found some great halo''s on pearlman''s, and I saw some wonderful sidestone settings on Jamesallen for great prices.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My .02 is that halos are trendy (yes I know that there are antique halos and the style has been around for a long time, but right NOW they are super popular) so if you love all of these things equally and expect to have it for 20 years, I''d go with a more classic setting with sidestones of some sort for some bling.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Is it important to you to have two bands, or would you be happy with a blingy stand alone setting?

How do you feel about split shanks?

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 8:30:20 PM
Author: neatfreak
My .02 is that halos are trendy (yes I know that there are antique halos and the style has been around for a long time, but right NOW they are super popular) so if you love all of these things equally and expect to have it for 20 years, I'd go with a more classic setting with sidestones of some sort for some bling.

Thank you! That is a great suggestion. I will be sure to keep that in mind. I guess I always thought that because halo's are an antique style, that they would be considered classic. You give me something to ponder
2.gif

ETA: I would prefer 2 bands, but as long as the split is almost 2 seperate bands just joined in the back, I'm ok with that. The only thing DH has said about that, is if I only have 1 ring, then split shanks are prefered so guys know I'm already taken
25.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Do you like the thinner, more delicate looking settings or the thicker settings that cover a lot of finger real estate?

When you say side stones, do you mean bigger (as in three-stone) or smaller, as in pave?

(Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help you narrow it down!)

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 8:50:57 PM
Author: EBree
Do you like the thinner, more delicate looking settings or the thicker settings that cover a lot of finger real estate?

When you say side stones, do you mean bigger (as in three-stone) or smaller, as in pave?

(Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help you narrow it down!)

No worries at all! I prefer smaller bands preferably no more than 2.5mm for each. Pave would be better for sidestones.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 8:30:20 PM
Author: neatfreak
My .02 is that halos are trendy (yes I know that there are antique halos and the style has been around for a long time, but right NOW they are super popular) so if you love all of these things equally and expect to have it for 20 years, I''d go with a more classic setting with sidestones of some sort for some bling.
I totally agree. Her suggestion makes the most sense to me - something classic and timeless!

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Is the knife edge a comfortable fit? I guess that might be something I would have to try on.

The setting itself is very pretty. I like the band of the Legato, but the basket I''m not too crazy about.

The 2 bands are very pretty. Thank you so much for finding that for me!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 8:04:23 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hi and Welcome to PS. There are many fabulous choices out there; I honestly would go try on a bunch of rings and see what setting best suits you. I thought I would love a halo but it was not flattering to my hand, I still think they are gorgeous but on other people
3.gif
I agree completely with Skippy. I was so sad to realize halos don''t look good on me. You''ll find one that makes your heart go pitter patter.
1.gif

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Mara''s and rms''s are my fave by far.

They are simple and elegant and very blingy. I think that if there is enough sparkle from the band and the e-ring there isn''t a need for a 2nd eternity band, unless the bands are delicate and small that 2 are required.
I''m a size 7, do you think that will make a difference in how 1 or 2 eternity bands?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 9:55:32 PM
Author: Noahsmom
Mara''s and rms''s are my fave by far.

They are simple and elegant and very blingy. I think that if there is enough sparkle from the band and the e-ring there isn''t a need for a 2nd eternity band, unless the bands are delicate and small that 2 are required.

I''m a size 7, do you think that will make a difference in how 1 or 2 eternity bands?

I agree with you- I think one is plenty blingy.

Legato Diamond Shared-Prong Engagement Ring

Legato Shared-Prong Band

I bet Whiteflash would be able to swap the basket-head you aren''t a fan of to a regular four-prong head.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Those are lovely, I really like the e-ring!

What do you think of this?

http://www.jamesallen.com/Rings/engagement-rings/settings-with-matching-bands/18k-White-Gold-Eternity-Style-Diamond-Wedding-Set/

Does this have a lot of sparkle? I know they normally give a discount for Pricescope members, but I'm not seeing it on there.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 10:16:51 PM
Author: Noahsmom
Those are lovely, I really like the e-ring!

What do you think of this?

http://www.jamesallen.com/Rings/engagement-rings/settings-with-matching-bands/18k-White-Gold-Eternity-Style-Diamond-Wedding-Set/

Does this have a lot of sparkle? I know they normally give a discount for Pricescope members, but I''m not seeing it on there.
I think that set is fabulous. It''s very similar to jadeleaves MWM set. The only thing I would change, is I would put a six prong buttercup head on that e-ring. Then it would be perfect for me.
The five point side stones will look great too. Not to small, not too big.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I love the legato. I really like all the pave rings out there but have heard so many stories of diamonds fallling out.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I think a cushion cut diamond with a halo around it would look gorgeous! If there is some wiggle room in your budget add some small diamonds onto the band (I personally am not a fan of split shank). I like Halos because they make the center diamond look even bigger :)

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I got my stone today! It is sooooo pretty and sparkly and gorgeous and wonderful. It''s like falling in love all over again! I will try to post pics when my camera decides to stop being a p.o.s.

I went to the mall (I know, bleh. I explained to one of the guys that I was thinking something along the lines of doing an anniversary/eternity band (not sure yet) and then another band that looks like an anniversary band, but with my new stone in the center.
He told me that his jeweler could easily do that. He would just take out the center stone of the band and put the 4 or 6 prong head on it, and it would look just like the Jamesallen setting I posted...for about $1400 including tax.
I think it would look really pretty, but now I''m so wary of B&M stores, especially in the mall. It would look just like the JA one. That just leaves me with adiamond that I paid for but no use for it.

Hmmm.

I do like halo''s because they do make the diamond look so much bigger. I did end up trying some on at a couple of the places in the mall, and while I loved them, they were just not meant for me. At least I have that narrowed down now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results