shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got a diamond - Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone.

Well, as you know I was looking to trade my ring in for a loose stone of a higher carat weight. Basically now I am looking to see if what I got is a good deal or not. First let me say I worked with a wholesaler(not a retail store) who was actually the one who in a round about way sold my original diamond to the guy my ex-fiance bought it from. How ironic! I got his info through the web is how I found him.

Anyways - basically this is what I had to trade:

.80ct Round Brilliant
AGS Cert. ''000'' Ideal
VS1
I color
Faint Flor.
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 56%
Girdle: 1.2-1.9%
Culet: None

I got something that in my eyes isn''t what I REALLY wanted, but I didn''t want to spend a ton to get a stone, so this is what I got. (The clarity is what bothers me, but it doesn''t look bad - and I also don''t like GIA certs because I don''t know more about it''s CUT - any advice on that?)

GIA Cert
1.07 Round Brilliant
SI2 (but we couldn''t see any inclusions, and even he said he was surprised it was graded SI2)
H Color
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Very Good
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 58%
Girdle: Thin-Med Faceted
Culet: None
No Flor.

Plus he got 6 small diamonds, .21ct that was in my setting which he said weren''t worth much to him as a wholesaler.

I paid an extra $1700 for the trade.

He said if I am not satisfied with it, then I can come back.
What is all of your professional opinions??

PLEASE HELP!
THANKS!

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
SORRY - I forgot the measurements:

6.62-6.65 X 4.00mm

DancinGirl

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Dancingirl,

It is extremely difficult to comment on your stone without at least the basic information given from a Sarin. For any expert to attempt to comment on a stone without at least that info, there isn't even anything we can go on to speculate. Below are 2 possible exampels out of THOUSANDS to how your stone may reflect light. See the tutorial on pricescope for interpretation of these images or the page on our site as well. http://www.goodoldgold.com/the_idealscope_firescope_tm.htm which will help.

Sorry we can't be of more help.

Peace,
Rhino

dancingirl.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi DancinGirl,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!
appl.gif
I'm sure your new diamond is super sparkly! Have you brought it to an appraiser??

Giangi
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino is correct, without more info from a Sarin we can't really tell you more. Why don't you just take it into an independent appraiser who has a Sarin machine, or can get a Sarin report for the stone so that you can get the full workup on the stone from an expert? Would make sense, esp since you already bought the stone. If you like the stone and your eyes tell you that it is great, chances are it is!

Good luck!

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
I understand - I am requesting a Sarin Report from the guy I got it from. Do you think he will be able to get it for me from GIA or his vendor? He is a wholesaler. Should I be expected to pay for this or no? I would assume I shouldn't have to.

The thing that bothers me about this stone is that is doesnt have as much color, fire, scintillation as my old stone which was an AGS "000". Because I don't know the angles on this one, I have no clue what grade cut it is. This IS sparkly - but not colorful sparkly... more of a white sparkle.

I hope to hear from some of you regarding the Sarin and if I should have to pay or if he should have the capability of getting it for me.

Thanks to you all for your help... NOW I just have to wait and wait and wait til I can get my man to get me a setting and pop the question -- HAHAHA! :)

DancinGirl
3.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Dancing girl,

Dealing is what is interesting in the diamond buying experience...
So try to get that report for free !
1.gif

You had a beautiful stone before...AGS0, VS clarity... color OK
The new one is larger, cut unknown but worse from your subjective point
of view and clarity is lower.... hmmmmm.....

Trichrome.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trichrome, I KNOW... believe me - it's sounds odd... but I had to get rid of the ring I had. It was more trouble with the EX than it was worth to me. The sooner I got rid of it the better. I did want a bigger stone - but I am picky. AND - I was not looking to spend a ton more (right now) to get something else. I spent $1700 and got the bigger stone - but after bringing it home I just looked at it like - ya it's bigger - it's pretty - but, I need more. Thankfully the guy will work with me til I get what I want. (So he says!) I can always upgrade it. I will wait to see if I get the Sarin from him, if not, from an appraiser - and then go from there. I just don't like GIA certs - I like AGS, and he didn't have a lot in stock for what I was looking for. I am sure he can get it though.

Argh the stress!
14.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I understand you completely.

But it's true that AGS stones are more difficult to find. Also, usually when cutters send
stones to AGS, it's because the stone is pretty well cut and they want a paper to prove it.

Good luck in your search,

Trichrome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancin--well it sounds as though you really aren't super happy with the stone, regardless of what a Sarin may say? If this is the case, I would definitely keep looking. If you were ecstatic with the look of your original stone, you now know what a similar well-cut stone should look like...and can use your eyes to your best advantage.

Word to the wise...just because a stone is an AGS000, does not mean that it is an excellently cut stone. The range for an AGS000 stone is pretty broad..and many stones with different characteristics will fit into that range. Many of them will be well cut stones, but not all. Your stone may have been a very well cut AGS000 which is excellent because now you know what to look for--but just be cautious when looking for a new stone...the AGS000 marking does make it foolproof. Use your eyes as a judge and plug the #'s into the HCA to see what it says about the stone's characteristics. Also if you get an AGS stone, post the angles and info and maybe Rich or Rhino will be nice and do a workup of a DiamCalc for you to get an estimate on light return from a potential stone. If you look at a GIA..as you know..get a Sarin to get that info.

It is great that this jeweler will continue to work with you. I would keep at it until you are happy with the result. This *is* the stone hopefully you will be wearing for a very long time...so make it count!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Defnitely continue looking. You wouldn't want to look down at an inferior stone and think how your ex not only ruined it for you with your first stone but obliquely caused you to accept an inferior stone for *this* relationship too!

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
I have to say that I just cleaned my diamond for the first time cause I didn't think it would need it being a brand new stone. BUT - I will tell you that I am feeling a tad better about the "cut" which I said didn't give me as much fire and scintillation. After cleaning it - it sparkled like a star!!
9.gif

I of course am still going to insist on the Sarin Report - but I'm feeling a little more rest assured after I did that simple freakin task of just cleaning the thing! (here I am getting all paranoid and freaking out)

But - I'll keep you all posted of course!

9.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on Mara... It sounds like you aren't that happy with your new diamond, no matter what Sarin says! I'd definnitely keep on searching. I'd give the jeweler one week or two of time and see what he finds...

PS Sarin is usually 10$, so I'd try to get it for free
2.gif

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results