shape
carat
color
clarity

Just Bought a new ruby. Strange surface blemish or inclusion

joshua david

Rough_Rock
Hi I just bought a new Burmese ruby included with a local trusted certificate from my country which is Indonesia. It states the ruby is Heated with minor residue. I just curios with some noticeable blemish on top of the ruby, is it normal or something I just need to be aware of. Please need help!!! Would be appreciated Thank You

Picture below

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-27 at 23.22.37.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-12-27 at 23.22.59.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-12-27 at 23.23.35.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-12-27 at 23.26.43.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to tell from the photos - it doesn't jump out at me as being much different from the other stuff in there. Are you referring to something entirely internal like an inclusion -- or some surface-reaching feature like a crack or chip or natural or cavity?

joshua david

Rough_Rock
Yes im just worried if its a result from unnatural treatment for example surface glass filled to cover up cavities. If its natural traits of the stone i will be fine with it because my country doesnt have GIA labs or other reputable labs. Btw thankyou for answering

BDD2980A-3434-4295-A7F0-15B99039B9F0.jpeg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
GRI is one of the known Indonesian labs, I doubt they would miss a treatment as common as glass filling, unless the lab report you have is fake or doesn't belong to the stone that was sold to you.

If the blemish was indeed a glass filled surface cavity, you'd be able to see it relatively easily in the way the surface of the ruby reflects light. It would be different from the rest of the ruby.

Although it's difficult to judge from photos, to me this looks more like a small fingerprint or a cloud, neither of which is uncommon in corundum.

joshua david

Rough_Rock
GRI is one of the known Indonesian labs, I doubt they would miss a treatment as common as glass filling, unless the lab report you have is fake or doesn't belong to the stone that was sold to you.

If the blemish was indeed a glass filled surface cavity, you'd be able to see it relatively easily in the way the surface of the ruby reflects light. It would be different from the rest of the ruby.

Although it's difficult to judge from photos, to me this looks more like a small fingerprint or a cloud, neither of which is uncommon in corundum.

thank you for the reply. Yes, i will make sure to re apply the report to ease my worries

joshua david

Rough_Rock
this is my first ruby. Im bought this loose stone ruby at $2000. Just an opinion, am i getting a good price for this quality?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for someone who doesnt own a ruby ...
what is going to happen ?

@joshua david it looks a really beautiful ring
good luck

If it’s glass filled it’ll be full of lines after you soak it in vinegar

If it’s not glass filled, it’ll look fine

My mum soaked a ruby ring in lemon juice to clean it and found out the hard way that it was glass filled. It looked completely destroyed. Little lines everywhere.

I have soaked an unheated sapphire in vinegar and it was fine.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
A 2ct Burma ruby with "minor residue" for $2000 is highly suspect. I don't know the lab but my bet is this is going to be a lead glass ruby.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I vote inclusion. Could be a feather or cloud inclusion running horizonal with the crown and table.

Best thing is to have a professional loupe it or look under a microscope.. Pictures only tell so much.

Also, I have no idea what you paid for the stone.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
this is my first ruby. Im bought this loose stone ruby at $2000. Just an opinion, am i getting a good price for this quality?

Okay, tha answers my querstion how much you paid for it. It does not look to be a real transparent body crystal but far from opaque. $2000 is not out of the question.

joshua david

Rough_Rock
If it’s glass filled it’ll be full of lines after you soak it in vinegar

If it’s not glass filled, it’ll look fine

My mum soaked a ruby ring in lemon juice to clean it and found out the hard way that it was glass filled. It looked completely destroyed. Little lines everywhere.

I have soaked an unheated sapphire in vinegar and it was fine.

Yes, i will try to soak in in lemon juice. If its flux minor residue. Will it be fine?

joshua david

Rough_Rock

Yes this is another angle showing how its reflects light. 18A314BB-4322-465B-A278-AACD46D6EBF3.jpeg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Flux healing is a stable treatment, so it shouldn't be affected by acids. From the photo it still looks like a cloud. There's something in the lower left part of the best lit triangle but for all I know it could be a piece of lint. Is there anything you see with your own eyes that bothers you?

Judging by how the ruby looks in your photos, I wouldn't say 2k is that much of an unlikely price. On one hand, you're buying locally and thus don't get slapped with the western premium. On the other, the stone appears to be included, and this has a significant effect on price. Last but not least, having a noticeable inclusion right on the table is also going to drive down cost significantly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results