shape
carat
color
clarity

Just bought a diamond earring, is it a steal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

I was encouraged by my friend to buy this diamond earring for $4,300 but now that I have it... I''m wondering if it is a steal or not. I can return it but would like to get the input of my fellow diamond aficionado. Here are the specs:

total carat weight: 3
cut: round diamond
color: I-J
clarity: I1-I2
setting: four-prong 14k white gold

On both stones I can clearly see feathers on it but if I''m wearing it, it''s not too obvious.

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
How do you know the color and clarity grades are correct?
If there is no report from a reputable lab you don't really know what you bought.
Are you are trusting the seller on those grades?
32.gif

Without a reputable lab report or a reputable appraisal there is no way to know who got a steal, you or the seller.

If you can still return them I'd quickly get them checked by a reputable appraiser and go from there.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I bought this from Ultra Diamond - here''s the item:

http://www.ultradiamonds.com/jewelry/detail.cfm?title=3%20ctw%20White%20Gold%20Solitaire%20Earrings&mid=13053&cat_num=3&subcat_num=95

there was a discount on it so I only paid for $4,300. The saleslady was helpful and told me I could return it within the next 30 days if I don''t like it. I''ll post the actual picture later when I have a good camera.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would never pay $4300 for those...sorry.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2008 3:58:04 PM
Author: cleokizzy
Hi. I bought this from Ultra Diamond - here's the item:

http://www.ultradiamonds.com/jewelry/detail.cfm?title=3%20ctw%20White%20Gold%20Solitaire%20Earrings&mid=13053&cat_num=3&subcat_num=95

there was a discount on it so I only paid for $4,300. The saleslady was helpful and told me I could return it within the next 30 days if I don't like it. I'll post the actual picture later when I have a good camera.
Hi Cleo,

Personally I would return them and put the money towards a smaller perhaps but well cut and clean pair of studs, it doesn't sound as if you are pleased with them...That is a lot of money you could put towards a fabulous pair which you could love and cherish, it is way too much money to be having doubts IMO.

As Moh says without a reliable grading report we have no way of knowing what they actually are for colour and clarity, and I would bet the cut isn't great. But it depends on you, if you like them and want big studs on a budget then thats one thing, but if not then I would return them. Diamonds which are not well cut won't sparkle and that is important with earrings also. If you do decide to keep them I would strongly recommend you get an independant appraisal within the return window.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
from the stock photo, I probably would not buy them just because they look too included. However if you can post live shots that would be more helpful.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

In my humble opinion, I would not spend money on those studs. With the same budget, you could get amazing certified, well cut stones in very decent sizes and they would perform far better than the ones you just purchased and I promise you that they will throw fire from across the room and give the illusion of bigger stones!! With those, they will just be another set of studs on someone`s ears but with well cut stones, you and the diamonds will get noticed in a very positive way! Trust me, I know. I own a pair of well cut, certified (AGS) diamonds and they are magnificent if I do say so myself and my budget was far smaller than yours.
2.gif

Good luck.

*´¨)
¸.• ´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•''Cachette
1.gif

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
For that budget which is about my budget for diamond studs you can get a really beautiful pair of 1.5 ctw studs.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 3:25:46 PM
Author:cleokizzy
Hello,

I was encouraged by my friend to buy this diamond earring for $4,300 but now that I have it... I''m wondering if it is a steal or not. I can return it but would like to get the input of my fellow diamond aficionado. Here are the specs:

total carat weight: 3
cut: round diamond
color: I-J
clarity: I1-I2
setting: four-prong 14k white gold

On both stones I can clearly see feathers on it but if I''m wearing it, it''s not too obvious.

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks!
return and continue the hunt.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... I'll return this first thing tomorrow morning! Earlier I did say that I'll post a picture and here it is. It doesn't look well in the picture but looking at it, it shines - though not that "shiney" because I can clearly see the feathers and other inclusions on both stones. So... I guess it's not really worth the $4300 huh?

filenes.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Cleo, I don''t like ''em.
8.gif

mpeysakh

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 3:58:04 PM
Hi. I bought this from Ultra Diamond - here''s the item:

there was a discount on it so I only paid for $4,300. The saleslady was helpful and told me I could return it within the next 30 days if I don''t like it. I''ll post the actual picture later when I have a good camera.
From the website:
MSRP:$16,669.00
really???
23.gif
20.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I have to agree with Lorelei. Try WF for some studs, they have some fabulous settings and lovely well cut stones.

Good luck :)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you posted here - clearly they are not making your heart sing and you have reservations, otherwise you would be wearing ''em already
2.gif

Please do take advantage of the return policy, and come back here once you have your $ back.
We can help you to buy some of the nicest cut diamonds out there (cut is what = sparkle and fire in diamonds), without all those icky inclusions.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Amidst the bad weather out here right now... I trekked to Filene''s Basement in Union Square and finally returned the earrings.

Now I must continue with my search for that perfect diamond stud earrings...

thanks everyone for the advice!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2008 3:22:23 PM
Amidst the bad weather out here right now... I trekked to Filene''s Basement in Union Square and finally returned the earrings.

Now I must continue with my search for that perfect diamond stud earrings...

thanks everyone for the advice!
You are most welcome and I know you made the right decision.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Cleokizzy I hope you find some gorgeous studs
35.gif

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I found it! I am SO glad I found PS and listened to you guys! This is much smaller in terms of carat but the quality is much better than that RB from Filenes....

here''s the pix for everyone to see:
1.4 tcw princess cut, G-H color, SI1 clarity

I so love the simplicity of this stud.
30.gif
not to mention I got it at almost half the price of the other one!!!

my-twin-star.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found some you love!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results