shape
carat
color
clarity

Just Another Ask for Help choosing a Diamond/Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I''ve been reading Pricecope Forums for about a week now but this is my first post. I''ve been looking for a engagement ring for about 2 and half months and at first I was thrilled with the tension settings, but I decided that I couldn''t afford a setting like that with a brilliant of at least 1ct. So I got back to basics. I have this three choices and I would like some help in make an educated selection. Thanks in advance.

A) First Choice $5,609.00

Stone shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.0 carats
Cut: Very Good
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Certificate type: GIA
Depth %: 63.6
Table %: 61.0
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick - Faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.25 x 6.21 x 3.96 millimeters
Length-to-width ratio: 1.01

B) Second Choice $5,594.00

Carat Weight: 1.5 carats
Color: I
Clarity: I1
Depth %: 63.0
Table %: 64.0
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Good
Girdle: Thin to Very Thick - Faceted
Measurements: 7.29 x 7.19 x 4.56 millimeters

Third Choice $5,597.00

Carat Weight: 1.27 carats
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 62.6
Table %: 57.0
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to Medium - Faceted
Culet: Very Small
Measurements: 6.89 x 6.95 x 4.33 millimeters
Length-to-width ratio: 0.99

The setting for the first two (A and B) is this one:

B0007RJQFG.01.TOPP._PIstone-round-0100-top-500x500,TopLeft,0,0_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

With the following specs:

Metal stamp: plat-950
Metal: platinum
Setting: semimount-setting
Total metal weight: 6 grams
Description: This dramatic setting with ten brilliant round sidestones will beautifully highlight your center diamond. Two diamonds are set into prongs, one on either side of the center diamond. These generous diamonds are larger than the eight round diamonds surrounding them. Set four on each side, these sidestones are channel-set into the band. The effect is that the larger diamonds provide a seamlessly sparkling transition from the center diamond to the band. In profile, the prongs that hold the larger diamonds sit higher than the band, with graceful curving gallery work beneath the stones. The channel holds the accent diamonds securely flush with the top edge of the band, which is softly squared. The metal is polished to a bright mirror finish that enhances the brilliance of the diamonds.

The diamonds in the setting are a minimum of I in color, I1 in clarity. Since the diamonds are in the near-colorless range, they should appear beautifully white in the setting. This color should blend well with the color of the center diamond, particularly diamonds with an F to J color grade. A center diamond with a D or E color grade may show a slight color difference to the I color diamonds in this setting, but it should not be very noticeable to the casual observer. The I1 clarity grade means that it might be possible to see the internal inclusions in the diamonds with the unaided eye, but it is unlikely that the inclusions would be seen with the diamonds mounted in the setting. The diamonds are well cut, with proportions and polish designed to capture the light and sparkle beautifully in the setting.

This setting is made of platinum, a beautiful and popular precious metal for diamond jewelry.

The setting for the third one (C) is this one:

B0007RXCY2.01.TOPP._PIstone-round-0100-top-500x500,TopLeft,0,0_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Metal stamp: 18k
Metal: 18k white-gold
Total metal weight: 3.81 grams
Description: This solitaire setting measures approximately 3.5 mm wide, with a softly domed surface and substantial weight. The edges of the band are slightly squared off, allowing for a wedding band to fit next to it. The metal surface is highly polished to a beautiful mirror finish. This setting has a wonderful feel and fit, with the inside of the band rounded for comfort. With a classic look and comfortable feel, this setting will beautifully complement the center diamond.

This setting is made of 18 karat white gold, which is a beautiful and flattering precious metal for diamond jewelry.

Considerations

I would prefer size to quality as long as my girlfriend can show and compare her diamond to their friends'' and don''t look of extremely low quality, visually talking. Also, if there is not much difference in size between a 1.00 and a 1.50 I would then prefer a better quality diamond (better fire and brilliance and less visual blemishes). Thanks again for any help on this.

Best regards,

Eduardo Marquez

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 12:48:08 AM
Author:lalomarquez
Hello all,

I've been reading Pricecope Forums for about a week now but this is my first post. I've been looking for a engagement ring for about 2 and half months and at first I was thrilled with the tension settings, but I decided that I couldn't afford a setting like that with a brilliant of at least 1ct. So I got back to basics. I have this three choices and I would like some help in make an educated selection. Thanks in advance.

A) First Choice $5,609.00

Carat Weight: 1.0 carats
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 63.6
Table %: 61.0
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick - Faceted
Measurements: 6.25 x 6.21 x 3.96 millimeters

B) Second Choice $5,594.00

Carat Weight: 1.5 carats
Color: I
Clarity: I1
Depth %: 63.0
Table %: 64.0
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Good
Girdle: Thin to Very Thick - Faceted
Measurements: 7.29 x 7.19 x 4.56 millimeters

Third Choice $5,597.00

Carat Weight: 1.27 carats
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 62.6
Table %: 57.0
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to Medium - Faceted
Culet: Very Small
Measurements: 6.89 x 6.95 x 4.33 millimeters
Length-to-width ratio: 0.99

The setting for the first two (A and B) is this one:

B0007RJQFG.01.TOPP._PIstone-round-0100-top-500x500,TopLeft,0,0_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Metal stamp: plat-950
Metal: platinum
Setting: semimount-setting
Total metal weight: 6 grams
Description: This dramatic setting with ten brilliant round sidestones will beautifully highlight your center diamond. Two diamonds are set into prongs, one on either side of the center diamond. These generous diamonds are larger than the eight round diamonds surrounding them. Set four on each side, these sidestones are channel-set into the band. The effect is that the larger diamonds provide a seamlessly sparkling transition from the center diamond to the band. In profile, the prongs that hold the larger diamonds sit higher than the band, with graceful curving gallery work beneath the stones. The channel holds the accent diamonds securely flush with the top edge of the band, which is softly squared. The metal is polished to a bright mirror finish that enhances the brilliance of the diamonds.

The diamonds in the setting are a minimum of I in color, I1 in clarity. Since the diamonds are in the near-colorless range, they should appear beautifully white in the setting. This color should blend well with the color of the center diamond, particularly diamonds with an F to J color grade. A center diamond with a D or E color grade may show a slight color difference to the I color diamonds in this setting, but it should not be very noticeable to the casual observer. The I1 clarity grade means that it might be possible to see the internal inclusions in the diamonds with the unaided eye, but it is unlikely that the inclusions would be seen with the diamonds mounted in the setting. The diamonds are well cut, with proportions and polish designed to capture the light and sparkle beautifully in the setting.

This setting is made of platinum, a beautiful and popular precious metal for diamond jewelry.

The setting for the third one (C) is this one:

B0007RXCY2.01.TOPP._PIstone-round-0100-top-500x500,TopLeft,0,0_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Metal stamp: 18k
Metal: 18k white-gold
Total metal weight: 3.81 grams
Description: This solitaire setting measures approximately 3.5 mm wide, with a softly domed surface and substantial weight. The edges of the band are slightly squared off, allowing for a wedding band to fit next to it. The metal surface is highly polished to a beautiful mirror finish. This setting has a wonderful feel and fit, with the inside of the band rounded for comfort. With a classic look and comfortable feel, this setting will beautifully complement the center diamond.

This setting is made of 18 karat white gold, which is a beautiful and flattering precious metal for diamond jewelry.

Considerations

I would prefer size to quality as long as my girlfriend can show and compare her diamond to their friends' and don't look of extremely low quality, visually talking. Also, if there is not much difference in size between a 1.00 and a 1.50 I would then prefer a better quality diamond (better fire and brilliance and less visual blemishes). Thanks again for any help on this.

Best regards,

Eduardo Marquez
I'd have to pass on A and B. Too deep, tables are too large, and not loving the girdles either. The clarity of B being an I1 will most likely be a stone with visible inclusions. These stones are overpriced for what they are. You have a nice budget. I'd shop online to get the best cut stone for your money. A&B, are far from it.
2.gif

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i would agree that of those three, #3 is the better.

you mentioned the difference between a 1.0 and a 1.5 before. check this out for an idea of what different size stones will look like. they wont all be these sizes, but ideal cuts will be close.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
Thank you Kaleigh and Avlis! The #3 rock is the biggest one I can afford with more than acceptable quality, but if I choose that one, I''ll have to go with white gold instead of platinum, and a very simple setting instead of a more sofisticated one. Maybe that''s a good thing since my girlfriend doesn''t wear too complex jewelry.

You mentioned that I should shop around, so I would like to ask you if the price on the #3 option is good or if I could find a better deal, for example, a little bigger brilliant for the same price or something. I''m asking because I actually have been searching many jewelry stores online and this rock from Amazon is the least expensive with those specs.

Then again, I think I don''t do a very good job at searching since I had been looking for a chart exactly like this one and I couldn''t find one, I even thought they didn''t exist. That chart really help me visualize a whole lot better what I am expecting to see.

Thanks again for your help :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Just a quick search turned up this diamond...

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-78282.htm#

This diamond has a great cut, and could well be in budget. This is a good example of what you can get buying online. You will also notice by looking at the diameter measurements that this diamond will look as large as the 1.27 you posted, and possibly larger if you compared side by side in an imaginary scenario, due to the superior cut.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
wow! Well, it will slip a little bit out of my budget when I''ll try to find a setting for it, but I took notes of the specs of that diamond to look for something similar when searching. The most I have to invest in the whole ring is about $5,500 give or take a hundred. For what I have read here, the clarity, cut and dimensions are been taken more into consideration than the color, right? Of course, as long as it doesn''t fall too much on the very tinted side, I think. As I mentioned, I''ve been looking for the "perfect" engagement ring (perfect in regard of budget and taste, that is) for almost three months... you can imagine how long I''ve been deciding to get engaged
25.gif
But that''s how I am in everything, I think too much and I don''t decide easily, and sometimes I don''t even decide wisely
20.gif
So I beg you for your patience if I ask too many questions.

Thank you Lorelei for your help :)

Best regards,

Eduardo.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome Eduardo!

As a rough guide, these figures should help you when searching.

Depth - 60 - 62
Table - 54 - 57, 58 if everything else is cherry.
Crown angle - 34 - 35
Pavillion angle - 40 - 41
Girdle - avoid very thin and thick, very thick, ex thick etc.

These numbers are a guide only and others may have different preferences. You can also use the cut advisor to help you further. It is easy buying online if you stick to tried and trusted vendors such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Wink Jones, James Allen, Mark at ERD, Pearlmans. Also stick to GIA and AGS grading reports if you can. also try to stick to in house diamonds where the vendors can pull them out and check them for you. Virtual stones which appear on some vendor databases have to be called in and there may be a fee for this. Also you really need an expert eye on your diamond prior to purchase to help you know you are choosing the most likely one.

Cut is key for a fab diamond, it is what gives it the beauty. With colour, a great cut will face up white even as far as a J and to some eyes a K, with some fluorescence even better in my opinion
30.gif
Clarity, you can shoot for an SI2 even as many of these grades are eyeclean, but SI grades need to be assessed individually. So you can drop colour and clarity considerably probably to what you thought and still have a white, clean diamond! Hope this helps too!

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
JulieN, thank you for your choices, I appreciate it very much. I liked the one from jamesallen.com better (at first I couldn't get in, maybe the site had some server problems or something).

Lorelei, that guide is helping me a lot, before that I was just searching for good 4c's and didn't knew what to do with those dimension numbers, specially the depth and table percentages. I already had read about the gridle and how it may affect the total weight of the diamond and how may not get a perfect fit in the setting and all that.

Also, I'm now looking for more perfect cut and expecting a lower clarity and color, that at first I was using primarily to select my diamond.

So you have helped me a lot, I really appreciate it.

And I want to tell you that I found a very curious engagement ring, and I mean curious because I didn't espect to find such a big stone within my budget. I'm aware that it moves away from what you have told me, but I would like to put the specs here and ask you what do you think about it:

Price: $5,780.00
Metal stamp: 14k
Metal: yellow-gold (I would order it white)
Setting: solitaire-setting
Total metal weight: 2.2500 grams
Ring size: 7 (I need a 6)
Sizing lower range: 3.00
Sizing upper range: 13.00
Number of stones: 1
Diamond Information
Resizable: Y
Minimum Individual Carat Weight: 2.3800 carats
Stone shape: round-brilliant-shape
Minimum color: L
Minimum clarity: I1
Cut: good-cut
Minimum Total Carat Weight: 2.3800 carats

B000EGM9CM.01-A1LCRUYFBJF2WZ._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

avlis

Shiny_Rock
about that 2.3ct ring.. there really isnt any good info on it to make any kind of comments on its cut. I think this ring falls into the catagory, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

check out this stone for an idea of what a I1 looks like, as far as inclusions go.

armylynn

Rough_Rock
just my input...I have been searching forever as my husband and I are on a budget also. I found a lot of really beautiful sttings and stones from sunjewelry.com There are a few PS''s that seemed to be really happy with what they bought, and I plan on ordering soon. Just my thought as my budget is < $5,000 for the entire ring. Also they have certified diamonds you can use also. Good luck!!

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
omg! Julie, I can''t believe I''m actually seeing an animation of a hand wearing the rings I select and a closeup of a representation of the diamond with blemishes and all! James Allen is quickly getting my attention, thank you :)

Avlis, I have a 1ct diamond exactly like the one in the first picture, is one of the two 1cts my fater left me after he passed away. I wanted to use one but I thought the first one was cracked for a missuse or something but now I see that it may have been like that since when it was purchased originally. The other one has less physical natural imperfections but is very, I don''t know, dark? It doesn''t look as shiny or as white as the first one.

Armylynn, at first I was looking at sunjewelry.com because they have some tension rings that I liked, but then found out that they''re in California and they will charge me 8.25% for taxes, and I want to avoid that. Anyway, thanks for answering.

I''m considering the 1.31 ct that Julie told me, it''s looks very beautiful in the setting I select, although I wanted a platinum but with the price of the rock alone I can only go for white gold. I must confess that the 2.38ct keeps tickling me... my god, I wish I could see it "live" to decide.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two 1.24s and the 1.31, they all are about the same size. I doubt you'd notice any difference in size between them.

I think the 1.24 I SI2 is my favorite, followed by the J SI1, then the 1.31 (which seems like it has obvious inclusions.) and you might be able to swing plat w/ the 1.24 I SI2?

If you want one of those, you should get in touch with the staff at JA and see if they are eye-clean and for Ideal Scope pictures.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
I guess I don''t learn quickly. I liked the 1.31 better because the cut was "Hearts & Arrows Ideal", although looking them under 16x on the Web page, this one has more noticeable inclusions (a big black carbon right in the center) than the other two. Does the quality of the cut is dramatically noticeable in an ideal cut vs an ideal heart and arrows? Should I go for cleanless instead of brightness? Thank you!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're not probably not going to notice a difference. They're all AGS 0 with "sweet spot" proportions and good arrows.

If you're buying an SI2, I'd definitely want it to be eye-clean. If you want to buy something with slightly visible inclusions, might as well buy a good I1; the savings are huge.

Also check to make sure they are not cloudy looking.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an over 3 carat round L colour which does not look in any way yellow, but a softer white, I get compliments on this ring all the time. There are those who love the warmer colours, but before buying you really need to see if your GF is one of these, however I would kick out the diamond you posted Eduardo due to the doubtful cut quality.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2006 3:17:38 PM
Author: lalomarquez
I read somewhere that the premium cut of a Solasfera makes the diamond look of a better quality than it really is, is this true?

I think you mean the Leo.

I like the Royal Crown, but would not buy it if you plan to upgrade soon.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
Hi Julie! What do you mean "Leo"? Yes, this would be the e-ring that I''ll give my gf when I propose this Christmas (or New Year''s Eve), but I would like to use the same diamond in an upgrade setting instead of a double ring. So you''re right, I''ll go for the "tiffany" style.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock

Oh, I found where I read it: it was on the FAQ section of the Solasfera site, it''s the first question/answer in this page:

http://www.solasfera.com/html/html/faq.htm

I didn''t knew about the Leo diamond, thank you for the link to that interesting report on it.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
I think I may finally have a winner, this is the ring I think I'll be getting from GoodOldGold:

- Solasfera - 0.87ct - Color "H" - Clarity "VS2" $4,755.00
- D. Vatche V-119 Solitaire Ring Size 6 - White 18kt Gold - 6-Prong Royal Crown Setting - $700.00
- Total $5,455.00

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips that I may use to have a smooth and un-regretable e-ring shopping experience?

Thank you all for your very insighful and very appreciated comments.

Eduardo.

Edit: I have to mention what Tim from GOG told me because I really don't agree with them (the guys at GOG):

[Tim@GOG] We dislike the Tiffany Knife Edge setting so much that we don’t even carry it. We have just found that it does not look good.

23.gif
What do you think about this statement?
33.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
age old size or quality question, eh?

Initially, you said: "I would prefer size to quality"

There are some 1.2 ct options listed, I think they''re very doable.

There isn''t much difference from the .87 to a 1 ct. And there isn''t much difference from a 1 ct to a 1.2. But the difference from a .9 to a 1.2 is definitely sizeable.

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
Hi Julie! I really do prefer size to quality, as long as the diamond look good in the setting without comparing it with another one. But last Sunday I spoke with my sister and my sister in-law, and they told me that they would choose a smaller rock over a big one, and that they think that my girlfriend my also choose likewise. She''s a dentist and don''t wear much jewelry, if at all. So, after thinking about that for a while, I thought that I would be better off without a too flashy engagement ring. I decided to get her a ring that she could wear daily, that looks accordingly with what she usually wears, and one that we can use in the future for upgrading and that looks very good as time passes by. The jeweler sent me a list of 1ct plus Solasfera diamonds but all of them where over $7K''s, and that exceeds way over my budget. I asked them if they had something between the .87 and the 1.00, but Tim told me they didn''t. That''s why I choose the .87 for $4,755. If i had the time, I would wait for a .90 something to be available from the cutter, but I want to propose if not on Christmas, maybe on New Year''e Eve, and I''m running out of time. So the .87 would have to suffice. Besides, i don''t know any other diamond vendors that sell Solasferas online, I actually asked two more and didn''t receive any answers from them.

Julie, thank you for reading and for your kind comments. Best regards,

Eduardo.

momof3

Rough_Rock
oh thanks for the chart - that is great!!!!
36.gif

lalomarquez

Rough_Rock
Finally, my ring has arrived. Later I tell you all about the purchased and my experience with Tim and Christen from GoodOldGold.com, and also with my experience with Stephanie from EggCrazy.com, but I just need to tell you this bit of information: I recommend them very very much. Later I also will like to share with you how my proposal went.

But first I would like to show you a couple of images of how I am going to present the e-ring to my girl. The following picture is of the ring box closed:

CX835824a.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very romantic.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a cool ring box! Congratulations in advance!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2006 12:57:38 AM
Author: JulieN
very romantic.
I agree.

Please do come back with hand shots!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results