shape
carat
color
clarity

Jtv.....WHAT???? LOL

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had watched some of the gemstone show early this morning, I dont really buy from them unless something is very inexpensive, on sale, and I also buy their gem jars. But I just turned on the tv right now and the channel was still on. The lady was hocking Morganite rings...she says "Morganite..its in the Beryl family...which is known for its REFRACTION". "THis is the closest you can get to a Pink Diamond" LOLOLOL!! IS she this stupid? Or is she lying?????

Beryl and known for its refraction?? Sure, maybe for it being low. I mean, wow...and people are buying these stones/rings based on what she is saying? And, not to mention, the window is SO bad in this ring! Worst I've ever seen! The stone had checkerboard (which she called 'diamond") facets on the top, and still....you could see right thru the stone. What a mess!!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot watch that dreck. It's just so awful and they're always wrong/misinformed. Try the Gem Shopping Network, their hosts are more knowledgeable and the gemstones and jewelry they sell are of a much higher quality than JTV.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzigrrl|1339353858|3213250 said:
I cannot watch that dreck. It's just so awful and they're always wrong/misinformed. Try the Gem Shopping Network, their hosts are more knowledgeable and the gemstones and jewelry they sell are of a much higher quality than JTV.

I agree, but GSN hosts tend to make things up too. They can talk out of both sides of their mouths about heated vs. unheated sapphires, and before I realized I couldn't take it any more, I remember one host - Steve - saying windows in gemstones in their estate jewelry were a sure sign of antique stones, because "that's the way they were cut back then..." :rolleyes: I guess if I had to sit there for hours yammering on I'd make things up too and see if anyone noticed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think JTV and GSN are equally as bad when it comes to trash talk and non-disclosure. I only watch it if I'm feeling bored and in desperate need of entertainment. :bigsmile: Actually, I've heard the term "diamond" used to describe a checkerboad cut, which I think is referring to the shape of the individual facet which is like a kite. Or rather, called a diamond in a deck of cards. I suppose even a checkerboard stone can be badly windowed if the angles are incorrect.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1339371207|3213367 said:

I agree, but GSN hosts tend to make things up too. They can talk out of both sides of their mouths about heated vs. unheated sapphires, and before I realized I couldn't take it any more, I remember one host - Steve - saying windows in gemstones in their estate jewelry were a sure sign of antique stones, because "that's the way they were cut back then..." :rolleyes: I guess if I had to sit there for hours yammering on I'd make things up too and see if anyone noticed.

I like GSN, but I have to watch with the sound level turned all the way down because they embellish so much. However, here is a great padparadscha I took a screen shot of, because I never saw one like it, and it had a GIA report of just heated, no beryllium (according to the host). Not sure if they use fancy camera tricks to make the gems look better, but this was my ideal padparadcha, if I could find one like this. It's fun to look at their bling. I get no entertainment value at all out of JTV. I just don't care for their material. I don't buy from GSN or JTV.

More fun screen shots here. I really enjoy watching that channel, and I usually tivo the programs so I can fast forward through much of it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-shopping-network-screen-shots.156216/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-shopping-network-screen-shots.156216/[/URL]

GSNpadparadsch.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL: I love when you do this! If you could Tivo all of GSN then provide us with screen shots of just the highlights, I will have died and gone to heaven... :wink2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and that is a very pretty padparadscha.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1339435863|3213873 said:
TL: I love when you do this! If you could Tivo all of GSN then provide us with screen shots of just the highlights, I will have died and gone to heaven... :wink2:

That's why I did that one thread on GSN screen shots because they really do sometimes have amazingly beautiful and rare gems, but you have to fast forward through a lot to see them. I also love when Ben Kho is on with some of his fancy cuts, and he has some very pretty things as well.

Glad you enjoyed them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't stand when Ben Kho is on because he has taken to talking like one of them - with stupid expressions and their inane terminology. Then again, there aren't any hosts I do like, though I like the merchandise that Sam brings in. Your right about having to turn the volume down, otherwise, I'd throw something. Actually, this all explains why I just can't watch...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1339441166|3213956 said:
I can't stand when Ben Kho is on because he has taken to talking like one of them - with stupid expressions and their inane terminology. Then again, there aren't any hosts I do like, though I like the merchandise that Sam brings in. Your right about having to turn the volume down, otherwise, I'd throw something. Actually, this all explains why I just can't watch...

Oh, that's unfortunate. I always found Ben Kho to be informative, but I haven't seen the show in a while.

It also drives me nuts when they call all lab reports, "certificates" or it's 'certified.' Steve was actually mad about it too, and he started correcting everyone and telling them to say 'report' and now even he's gone back to the 'certificate' lingo. I'm sure that being 'certified' sounds more impressive.

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock

Thats where I used to buy a lot of my stones, on the Gem Shopping Network. But its no longer on Comcast cable around here, and hasnt been for like 8 years or so. I used to really enjoy watching it. I liked most of their hosts back then, but others not so much. There's one Thai man who came on and sold mostly his own stuff, and he would some times rip people off. I bought a pink spinel from him once, had it checked on a refractometer before I bought my own, and it didnt have the correct refractive index, so I sent it back for refund. But most of the other hosts were cool, and you could get some really, really nice stones there, often for a really good price. They used to sell the best tanzanites I've ever seen anywhere. At first they were selling them for $500 per carat straight up, regardless of the size of the stone. They would sell 15ct Tanz. for $7,500. Just like they'd sell a 4ct Tanz for $2,000. It was pure, top grade, super well cut, pure royal blue too! Then they upped it to $700 per ct. Then the show disappeared around here. They used to have their own in house, award winning gem cutter too. I forget his name, but he cut a lot of Tanzanites, top grade blue-green tourmalines, Mandarin Garnets, etc. When they would sell a stone cut by that guy, it would usually cost a bit more. He was good! He did these wonderful Portugese rounds and ovals with lots of extra facets.

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
TL|1339418954|3213675 said:
minousbijoux|1339371207|3213367 said:

I like GSN, but I have to watch with the sound level turned all the way down because they embellish so much. However, here is a great padparadscha I took a screen shot of, because I never saw one like it, and it had a GIA report of just heated, no beryllium (according to the host). Not sure if they use fancy camera tricks to make the gems look better, but this was my ideal padparadcha, if I could find one like this. It's fun to look at their bling. I get no entertainment value at all out of JTV. I just don't care for their material. I don't buy from GSN or JTV.

More fun screen shots here. I really enjoy watching that channel, and I usually tivo the programs so I can fast forward through much of it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-shopping-network-screen-shots.156216/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-shopping-network-screen-shots.156216/[/URL]

Oh man that sapphire is nice! How much did they want for that piece?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red Spinel,
I think I recall those days too. The lapidary was quite skilled and they would tout him every time they were selling his stones on the show.

TL,
What is the carat weight of the padparadscha? It is simply gorgeous even though the setting is too much for me.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Wow.. Nice looking padparadscha!

I had to google that term to see what it was. Must have now!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1339468135|3214269 said:
Red Spinel,
I think I recall those days too. The lapidary was quite skilled and they would tout him every time they were selling his stones on the show.

TL,
What is the carat weight of the padparadscha? It is simply gorgeous even though the setting is too much for me.

It wasn't tiny, but it wasn't huge. I don't remember now because I deleted that episode from my TIVO. My guess is 3 carats though.

It was thousands of dollars, but I don't remember exactly how much.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
txgreeneyes|1339471602|3214322 said:
Wow.. Nice looking padparadscha!

I had to google that term to see what it was. Must have now!

Fine padparadchas are extremely rare, and you have to be careful because many that same color are beryllium diffused, so be careful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1339468135|3214269 said:
Red Spinel,

TL,

I think you are both talking about Sean, and he's still cutting stones for them. He used to only do Portuguese rounds for the longest time, and now he's delving into other cuts. I think they have some other lapidaries too, but he is the best known.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out this cushion sapphire (sorry a fuzzy photo). It was around 15 carats, silky and beautiful color in a gorgeous antique cushion. I almost passed out when I saw it. They were touting a 20-something carat sapphire ring earlier, but it was really dark, and grey, and this one they hardly touted at all. I guess this one didn't need the extra sales help. It was part of one of the estate jewelry shows. I would assume heat only, no diffusion, because it was silky.

GSNsapphire.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, TL, I WANT!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. :love:

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
TL|1339474146|3214347 said:
Check out this cushion sapphire (sorry a fuzzy photo). It was around 15 carats, silky and beautiful color in a gorgeous antique cushion. I almost passed out when I saw it. They were touting a 20-something carat sapphire ring earlier, but it was really dark, and grey, and this one they hardly touted at all. I guess this one didn't need the extra sales help. It was part of one of the estate jewelry shows. I would assume heat only, no diffusion, because it was silky.

There's that "Top gem world class" cliche in the picture there. Thats one thing I certainly DONT miss about GSN! I got so tired of hearing how just about 1 out of every 3 or 4 stones was "top gem world class". I guess it sells stones or they wouldnt be saying it all the time..... :errrr:

But it was Sean that was their best cutter, and it was Ben who was the Thai many I spoke of in an earlier post here. I think it was Sam who used to come on and do his own show with his own merchandise which included a whole lot of absolutely beautiful rings with multiple gems. These things were usually large, but the stones mounted in them were always nice, well cut, well mounted,etc. Honestly, he used to sell some of the best looking rings I've seen. It wasnt just the usual single stone ring, or single stone with 2 or more stones mounted outside the center stone(not that anything wrong with that).

Then there was Frank, who seemed to have a "Top gem world class" gem collection of his own! Seriously, they'd show stones that he supposedly owned, many not for sale, and he had some serious museum grade gems! I remember 14ct Tsavorites, 15ct Mandarin Garnets, 3.5ct primo Alexandrites, 20+ct Tanzanites, large, perfect Paraiba tourmalines, etc. This guy had gems that we could only dream about! I miss seeing them. :$$):

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 'Top Gem, World Class' is actually a trademarked name for them. Their ranges are like this.

'Museum' (the best of the best)
'Top Gem, World Class' (99% of what they sell)
'Top Gem' (lower grade than TGWC)

Kind of misleading because even the lowest grade, 'Top Gem,' sounds like you are getting the very best.

I take their grades with a grain of salt.

Sean is a good lapidary, but honestly, I've seen more skilled lapidaries than either him, or Ben Kho, here on PS. Sean came up with some of his own cuts, which were ghastly. One was this round cut with slices off the bottom, and a flat top (????). Just awful and did nothing for the stone. I think he should stick with tried and true cuts.

Frank owns GSN, so he has access to a lot. I'm not surprised about his collection at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also wondering about all the "world class" this and that, "museum quality" this and that while rolling my eyes. Guess the GSN trademark thing explains it all. :roll:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its kind of like Starb**ks that made their medium drink into a "Grande." :lol:

ETA: ...and their small into a large, right?

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1339553277|3215071 said:
Its kind of like Starb**ks that made their medium drink into a "Grande." :lol:

ETA: ...and their small into a large, right?

Yeah, and then other fast food places got rid of "small" drinks altogether! They were now only medium and large. How can you have a medium with no small? It kinda like having a flashlight with 2 settings. You would call one high and the other low, not medium and high.

Anyway, I'm way off subject here.

I wasnt aware that Frank was the owner of GSN. I never remember hearing anyone advertise that, although I do remember hearing people saying that he was there from the beginning. Maybe he bought it in the 8 years since I last watched.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RedSpinel|1339558029|3215134 said:
I wasnt aware that Frank was the owner of GSN. I never remember hearing anyone advertise that, although I do remember hearing people saying that he was there from the beginning. Maybe he bought it in the 8 years since I last watched.

Yes, he's the owner and operator of GSN, and he also started the 'Circelli collection' (named after his surname). It's some of the most blingy jewelry ever. I have never bought from them, but it sure is enjoyable to watch, and I get ideas from their designs. I like hopelessly gaudy jewelry. :lol:

I can't comment on their customer service, lighting, the stones IRL, etc. . . but some PS'ers have bought a few things from them.

Anyways, I apologize Chris for getting so off-topic from JTV. I just can't find anything to say about that channel that we don't already know here. I suppose they have some satisfied customers, but PS'ers are very informed buyers, and I don't think they would fall for their tactics.

chloes1

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but JTV is how I started my gem journey. I bought 4 supposedly Burma rubies from them that do look ok set into earrings, and I think I have perhaps one emerald that isn't too shabby out of perhaps a thousand gemstones I've purchased. :loopy: I suppose that's about average...

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all. :wavey:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good thing about shopping networks is that they bring gemstones to the public.

The bad thing is that the public are (generally) totally clueless about treatments so the Padparadscha Sapphire they think they are getting that is world class is actually a highly treated gemstone worth not much! The same with Rubies (fracture filled / dyed etc). However, I guess that most people buy for the beauty and the ready to wear element so it has its place.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I just can't watch JTV or its brothers. Immediately I distrust anybody who shills as hard as those people do. It's like the worst of carnival barkers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results