shape
carat
color
clarity

Journey to David Michael Orchid Pendant!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not entirely sure if I'm allowed to post something "in progress" here, and then move to SMTB once it's finished, so if I should delete let me know.

My family was kind enough to give me the task of finding a big 30th bday present (in the form of jewelry :dance: ).

I was originally 99% set on the Van Cleef&Arpels vintage alhambra with 10 motifs, but before deciding I decided to drive an hour to try it on and get that extra 1% certainty. Very happy I did, because I ended up not liking it on me at all! Here are a few pics of both the necklace and earrings--I just found them to be an awkward color + size on my neck, and didn't love how they looked on me. Although I still love seeing them on others :)
20161030_115234.jpg 20161030_114800.jpg

My next stop was Tiffanys, but not surprisingly there wasn't anything in the budget we had set. Although the Schlumbacher ring was tempting!
20161030_122605.jpg

I then went into Bvlgari, and was surprised how much I LOVE their new collection (Diva's dream). Look like little fans. 20161030_131943.jpg 20161030_131845.jpg

Although the pieces were great, they didn't quite have the look I was hoping for.

I then fell totally in love with this piece that combines many of the small "fans" into a flower shape. Sadly it was 17K, which was far out of budget. But it definitely falls on my "wishlist for someday!)
20161030_132150.jpg 20161030_132203.jpg

Feeling defeated, I came home and decided that I didn't have anything to lose in contacting David Michael. I have admired PinkJewel's orchid ring for a while, and orchids were our wedding flowers as they are my favorite. Ken got back to me within hours, and was wonderful. I told them my budget (which was *very* tight for the work they do), but they agreed to work in it and still make something great. I got this sketch, and we deposited the 50% down payment today. I can't wait to see progress pics, and am so thrilled that I can work with such an incredible jeweler (who I assumed would always be far out of my price range).

image1.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to see the finished ring!!!

DK :love:

Boom

Shiny_Rock
How exciting lovedogs!

David Michael's work is incredible, what a wonderful 30th birthday present.

When will it be done? I bet you can't wait!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing and meaningful project! It will be an amazing pendant. How special to create a family piece for your 30th birthday

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom|1478317105|4093936 said:
How exciting lovedogs!

David Michael's work is incredible, what a wonderful 30th birthday present.

When will it be done? I bet you can't wait!

Thanks Boom! (Also thank you DK and Acinom for your kind words).

Not entirely sure about when it will be done--my birthday is mid-December and they said the timeline would be a close call in terms of getting it done by then. So I assume that means that it'll likely be done later in the month (but of course I'm not sure about Holiday rushes, etc). But I'll be posting progress as I get it :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! Now is this going to be a necklace or a ring like someone mentioned above? Looking forward to results!

Edit...I see you said pendant in your title! Its going to be beautiful!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1478361432|4094055 said:
Very pretty! Now is this going to be a necklace or a ring like someone mentioned above? Looking forward to results!

Sorry if that wasn't clear--it's going to be a pendant :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to check them out, and wow they have some amazing pieces! Can't wait to see how your pendant turns out :appl: Love this design! do you know if they work with outside stones?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Since the orchid is a reminder of your wedding... enjoy this "engagement" period with it's updates, as you look forward to the big day when you actually get to hold and wear the finished piece!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! What are all the colored stones he's using? The sketch looks amazing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FightGravity|1478369976|4094149 said:
Beautiful! What are all the colored stones he's using? The sketch looks amazing!

Good question! Here's what he wrote about the stones
So this is where our thoughts are for you, we are thinking Purple Sapphire main stone, then various fades as space allows of White Diamonds, Violet Blue Sapphires, Tsavorite Garnets ( green) and a few Blue sapphires just for a bit of contrast.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing design! Hopefully it will be done in time :)

PS. Did you ever figure out the import tax issue?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be amazing! I shall be following this thread very closely :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1478376826|4094186 said:

Thanks for asking, ROL! I actually ended up calling US Customs to make sure, since I wanted to tell them an accurate budget and 6.5% on top of the purchase price would be significant. Happily the customs agent checked everything and said that he's pretty confident that it falls under the US--AUS free trade act and therefore won't be subject to the 6.5%. He specified that in order to qualify for the free trade act a few things need to be true. 1) The materials need to be sourced in AUS, OR 2) The materials need to be "substantially transformed". He explained that in the case of custom jewelry that's made to order (like in this case), it's completely fair to consider that a "substantial transformation". He also said that it's safest and less of a hassle if the jeweler is able to say what proportion of the materials were sourced where (e.g. gold from Italy, gemstones from AUS, etc), and then explain that the materials have been "substantially transformed".

Sorry for the long explanation, I just wanted to update you and hopefully help anyone else who has the same question!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
lovedogs|1478401893|4094367 said:

Thanks for asking, ROL! I actually ended up calling US Customs to make sure, since I wanted to tell them an accurate budget and 6.5% on top of the purchase price would be significant. Happily the customs agent checked everything and said that he's pretty confident that it falls under the US--AUS free trade act and therefore won't be subject to the 6.5%. He specified that in order to qualify for the free trade act a few things need to be true. 1) The materials need to be sourced in AUS, OR 2) The materials need to be "substantially transformed". He explained that in the case of custom jewelry that's made to order (like in this case), it's completely fair to consider that a "substantial transformation". He also said that it's safest and less of a hassle if the jeweler is able to say what proportion of the materials were sourced where (e.g. gold from Italy, gemstones from AUS, etc), and then explain that the materials have been "substantially transformed".

Sorry for the long explanation, I just wanted to update you and hopefully help anyone else who has the same question!

Boo, I had two separate customs agents and then Malca Amit tell me the 6.5% applies to my situation, I wonder if it's because of the total value being over 50k?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be amazing! Can't wait to see the finished product.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1478407547|4094385 said:
lovedogs|1478401893|4094367 said:

Boo, I had two separate customs agents and then Malca Amit tell me the 6.5% applies to my situation, I wonder if it's because of the total value being over 50k?

Really?? That makes me super nervous that he was wrong. Granted my purchase is significantly smaller, but I didn't hear anything about price making a difference in terms of whether or not it applies. Ugh, the entire thing is so confusing! Oh well, I think at this point I just have to hope that I'm not on the hook for the 6.5%.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Can I just say how much I admire your taste? Almost everything you like in this thread, I like too, lol!! What a lovely piece this will be, so excited for you :)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
You can go to pitney bowes and calculate the cost based on the HS tariff code (which is what CBS will use to determine $$ owed on taxes).

For me, it is insane that they want me to pay taxes on a diamond I already owned because it would be set in a custom ring! The diamond was bought here in the US!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sent things to the US before to sell and they have always ruled if it was set into something like a ring or pendant you are supposed to pay the tax and if it is loose like a loose diamond or loose gemstone then you don't have to. That is what I was told as recently as this year, unless you can prove the whole thing originated from the US and have the paper trail to substantiate it.

Stunning pendant btw!!!! Can''t wait to see it finished.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1478486658|4094686 said:
I've sent things to the US before to sell and they have always ruled if it was set into something like a ring or pendant you are supposed to pay the tax and if it is loose like a loose diamond or loose gemstone then you don't have to. That is what I was told as recently as this year, unless you can prove the whole thing originated from the US and have the paper trail to substantiate it.

Stunning pendant btw!!!! Can''t wait to see it finished.

Yeah-- that's what I was told, if it was loose then I wouldn't have to pay the tax on the diamond even though I purchased here and sent it to another country to set it. BUT if it was set, I'd have to pay the 6.5% tax on the ENTIRE value of the darned completed piece. -_- unless they decide to ship the diamond and the piece separately. Anything over 2000$ is taxed despite the free trade agreement. And Customs will go by the paperwork sent with the piece, so whatever HS Tariff code is on the paperwork determines what taxes are due. :(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info, ROL and Arkie! I really hope that the guy I talked to was right about this, but he told me he thinks that this is the article of the law that my piece falls into:

III. JEWELRY, GOLDSMITHS' AND SILVERSMITHS' WARES
AND OTHER ARTICLES
Articles of jewelry and parts thereof, of precious metal or of
metal clad with precious metal:

Of precious metal whether or not plated or clad with
precious metal:
Of silver, whether or not plated or clad with other
precious metal:

Rope, curb, cable, chain and similar articles
produced in continuous lengths, all the foregoing,
whether or not cut to specific lengths and whether
or not set with imitation pearls or imitation
gemstones, suitable for use in the manufacture of
articles provided for in this heading....

I read way more of the law in the last few days than I would have liked, and I still am a bit unclear on everything, so I'm hoping the guy is right and just need to cross my fingers at this point

On the bright side, the pendant and their amazing workmanship is worth it even if it does cost an extra 6.5% :)

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
You could always check if the 6.5% is equivalent to a plane ticket; pick it up in person and wear it home *cheeky*

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really excited to see this come to life! It's absolutely beautiful and looks like a work of art! Congratulations and happy birthday! ::)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wombats|1478548778|4094890 said:
You could always check if the 6.5% is equivalent to a plane ticket; pick it up in person and wear it home *cheeky*

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LOL Wombats I actually gave that serious thought. I've never been to AUS and it's on my travel bucket list. But tickets are super expensive, and the total cost of my piece is under 10K, so significantly less to just suck it up and pay (if I need to). But if we had the extra $$ you'd better believe I'd use it as an excuse for an epic vacation! :appl:

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I've never owned anything this nice (not to mention anything even 1/2 this expensive), so I'm kind of still in shock that I get to wear some of their artwork!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on making this happen lovedogs! I can't wait for the finished product. :appl: :appl: :appl:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovely design- I'll look forward to seeing it completed. Having an orchid ring made by them myself I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with their workmanship-it is flawless. :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are working fast! I got these pics today in order to choose the center stone. Only the oval stones are being considered, but they put other stones with them in order to help me see the color. Their favorite (and mine) was the pink oval, so that's what we decided on. I love how vibrant/bright it is without being that "pastel pink" that I'm not (personally) too fond of. When I confirmed that I liked the pink stone they said that Michael is going to be forming the platinum pieces for the petals today after lunch (AUS time). HOORAY! :appl:

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! I've been waiting to update until I had pics, but since you asked....
The pendant arrived to my parent's house, and I am getting it TOMORROW when I see them. I seriously can't wait! But here are some other progress pics they sent (until my mother wrote and told them to stop sending them to me so I could be surprised haha).

unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-10.jpg
unnamed-11.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg unnamed12.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results