carat
color
clarity

Jimmy Carter's New Initiative

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmy Carter Sees Trump & More Overt Racism As An Opportunity For Change

Former President Jimmy Carter, like some other people who have been quoted here on Pricescope during this election year, sees Donald Trump as having an important role in bringing latent American racism to the fore. Mr. Carter "... who has long put religion and racial reconciliation at the center of his life, is on a mission to heal a racial divide among Baptists and help the country soothe rifts that he believes are getting worse.

In an interview on Monday, Mr. Carter spoke of a resurgence of open racism, saying, 'I don’t feel good, except for one thing: I think the country has been reawakened the last two or three years to the fact that we haven’t resolved the race issue adequately.'

He said that Republican animosity toward President Obama had 'a heavy racial overtone' and that Donald J. Trump’s surprisingly successful campaign for president had 'tapped a waiting reservoir there of inherent racism.'

Mr. Carter conducted telephone interviews to call attention to a summit meeting he plans to hold in Atlanta this fall to bring together white, black, Hispanic and Asian Baptists to work on issues of race and social inequality. Mr. Carter began the effort, called the New Baptist Covenant, in 2007, but it has taken root in only a few cities. The initiative is expanding to enlist Baptist congregations across the country to unite across racial lines."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/us/jimmy-carter-racism-baptist-conference-unity-donald-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Respect for Jimmy Carter. He still has his finger on the pulse of US politics.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmy Carter Sees Trump & More Overt Racism As An Opportunity For Change

He said that Republican animosity toward President Obama had 'a heavy racial overtone' and that Donald J. Trump’s surprisingly successful campaign for president had 'tapped a waiting reservoir there of inherent racism.'
:think: Humm,..I don't recall Obama offered any of "the dreamers" a path towards citizenship. In fact IIRC the last Prez. to sign an amnesty bill was Reagan in 1986.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know where to put this, but it upset me. Thank God no one was hurt. This time. Can we learn from it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/us/police-mentos-gun-video.html

Because whipping out your gun when you think someone is trying to steal a pack of Mentos, is understandable when your own fear level is constantly at high level, and someone's looks trip all your prejudice buttons. :rolleyes:

And this is also a manifestation of the increasing militarization of police everywhere - we're watching police forces transforming into constabularies.

It's less about the fact that he was perceived to be stealing, than the fact that he did not instantly submit to the police POWER. He dared to speak.

So, probably not.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to Jimmy Carter with that. The atmosphere that this administration has created is abhorrent.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results