shape
carat
color
clarity

Jim Caudill's Passing

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jim Caudill, a colleague and friend to many contributors on this site, passed away on Friday October 14 at his home in Las Vegas.

Jim was a tremendous advocate for the advancement of diamond performance assessment. From 2000-2013 he worked for the American Gem Society, assisting in the development of the AGS Light Performance Grading system and serving as Director of their Advanced Instruments Division from 2004-2009. Jim co-authored the 2007 landmark paper on diamond performance published in Optical Engineering along with Dr. Jose Sasian, Jason Quick and Peter Yantzer. He was the main architect of ASET viewer technology and designed many of the instruments which remain in-use around the world for diamond analysis and sales.

After leaving AGS Jim pursed other interests but continued his friendship with many diamond professionals. He had a friendly, generous spirit and will be remembered with great affection.

Jim is survived by his wife Val, his daughter Angela, two grandchildren and his sister. Details on his memorial service will be forthcoming.

Our thoughts and strength go out to Jim's family.

caudill-seattle.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rest easy, Jim

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a tremendous loss. Thoughts with his family and dear friends.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sad to hear. Jim was a luminary in the world of diamond research.

Rest in Peace.

Thanks for posting John.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are so many wonderful people in this industry, and Jim was certainly one of them. His contributions in the realm of light performance touch the lives of every person who is intent on better understanding the optical properties of their diamond. What an incredible mark and legacy to leave upon the industry within which he served. My deepest heart felt condolences to his family and all of those whose lives he touched.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mine was one of those lives.

I had bought one of the ASETs when they first came out. I was enthralled when I saw it at the JCK show and attended a class at the AGS campus to learn what it was all about.

Jim and I were already friends by then and when I called him to whine about not being able to see the whole ASET because of how my glasses and the lens of the ASET reacted together he went out and found a World War Two periscope lens that just happened to fit nicely in the barrel of the ASET.

That was just the kind of thing he did for his friends and also for the clients of the AGS Laboratory. Got a question? Call Jim. Just want to talk about diamonds? Call Jim. Want to go to the all you can eat Sushi bar? Definitely call Jim!

It has been too long since I have talked to him, and now I won't ever again. I will think of him though and wish we had talked more often.

Wink

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very sad to hear this news. Thoughts and prayers for his family and all those who knew, and learned, from him.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So sorry to hear this bad news. Wishing his family no more sorrow. RIP.

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
May he rest in peace. Condolences for his loved ones and friends...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to hear this.

I knew Jim because he knew me, I think....or so in some of my notes a perspective of interest on Pricescope. We became friends on Facebook....and we knew each other that way, and hopefully I welcomed him on his birthday.

I'm suddenly reflective....on making meaning in life. Apparently Jim did that, in some good measure.

Thanks for sharing. I come on very occasionally only now, and appreciate this note, John thanks for keeping us in tune...

Ira Z.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The memorial will be a celebration of Jim's life.

Sunday October 30 at 11:00 AM.
Davis Funeral Homes. 6200 S. Eastern Ave. Las Vegas, NV 89119.

Thanks all, for the thoughts, memories and stories.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's sad news. RIP, Jim. I only met Jim a few times at trade shows but I'll never forget that he spent over an hour with me reviewing ASET when it was first introduced and showed so much enthusiasm and love for the diamond industry.

Jeff Ira

raymondmcdonald

Rough_Rock
Prayers and fond memories are what we have to remember our dearly departed. My most heartfelt condolences. May his soul rest in peace.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thoughts and prayers outgoing for his friends and family.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jim has been on my mind a lot this week. And I feel a need to share our first meeting.

We met at the first (and still only) International Diamond Cut Conference in Moscow, organized by Garry Holloway and Octonus (forgive me if I forget certain people). Jim was representing AGSL, accompanied by Peter Yantzer and Dr. José Sasian, and they were presenting the new methodology of ASET.

For me, it was refreshing to meet like-minded people. The fact that their lab was launching a cut-grade-methodology partially validating our planning and production-procedures was fantastic.

More important though, in an atmosphere where most present were looking to use 'Cut' for marketing-purposes, Jim and his colleagues were simply showing how diamonds could make the best out of light. No wonder that we 'clicked' and spent most of the four days in Moscow as best friends.

Years later, seeing Jim again always felt like hooking up with one of my best friends.

Jim, we will never forget you. Thank you for your work, and thank you for the sparkle you brought to my life.

As always, I end with my usual words. The words may sound weird considering the situation, but Jim will understand.

Live long,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results