shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry...The Body Transformed

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great looking exhibit. Thank you for sharing.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful way to start my morning-a lovely museum tour of jewelry! Love the Tiffany moonstone necklace and roman gold and glass grape vine necklace. The Indonesian pieces really have beautiful gold work. THANK YOU! Do you think those Egyptian gold toe guards will catch on?:lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking the time to share these photos. I love how a lot of the ancient jewelry looks so chic and wearable still today. :kiss2:

Thank you. My pleasure. And I agree. I coveted quite a few of these pieces. Some are very wearable. That moonstone necklace. Swoon.

What a great looking exhibit. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the thread.

What a wonderful way to start my morning-a lovely museum tour of jewelry! Love the Tiffany moonstone necklace and roman gold and glass grape vine necklace. The Indonesian pieces really have beautiful gold work. THANK YOU! Do you think those Egyptian gold toe guards will catch on?:lol-2:

Thank you. It’s my pleasure. I knew some PSers would love seeing them. :appl:
The gold work is breathtaking. Calling @AGBF I know Deb would appreciate these gold pieces too. :love:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for this, @missy What an incredible exhibition that must be! Now I want to go visit in person.

It was so nice of you to provide all this unusual, beautiful art to us PSers. The degree of talent and creativity which existed even thousands of years ago is amazing.

And your photos of the explanations made it all so much more meaningful.

I tend to do that too when visiting museums - it takes me hours and hours to go through museum shows because I want to read everything. If I'm with someone, they lose patience with me, so I take photos of the explanations, and read them later at my leisure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for this, @missy What an incredible exhibition that must be! Now I want to go visit in person.

It was so nice of you to provide all this unusual, beautiful art to us PSers. The degree of talent and creativity which existed even thousands of years ago is amazing.

And your photos of the explanations made it all so much more meaningful.

I tend to do that too when visiting museums - it takes me hours and hours to go through museum shows because I want to read everything. If I'm with someone, they lose patience with me, so I take photos of the explanations, and read them later at my leisure.

Thank you @Garnetgirl. I read as I go as I like to understand exactly what I’m seeing and I appreciate it even more. Luckily I’m a fast reader lol. And my DH and friend are patient people. :bigsmile: I took photos of the info for each piece for you guys and am in fact deleting It all now as I have no room to keep. Even my cloud is getting clogged :lol:

I am so glad you enjoyed it. Makes the extra time taking photos for you guys worth it. :kiss2:
And I’m fortunate to live here and can go back if I want to. And I just might. I love the Met.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm a fast reader too @missy but not fast enough for SOME people ha!ha!

Thankfully my hubby likes to read details at an exhibit too. It's pretty necessary for getting the most out of any show.

But I've been with some folks who seem to take one quick look around the room, and want to move on. Then I skim the explanations and take photos. And try not to go to a museum with them in the future!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a feast for my eyes this morning! Thank you for taking us along with you through this extraordinary exhibit! Just fascinating! Your photos are stunning!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it Missy. Thank you for giving us such a lovely start to our day. I loved that gold collar and the Tiffany pieces and so many of the delicate pieces that came toward the end. It reminded me that for so many centuries jewelry has had such cultural significance. As a not very sentimental person, I forget and just look at it as a sparkly piece on my hand. For many, jewelry has a lot of meaning. Thank you for taking so much time to post and share.:wavey:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Missy, for taking us to the museum, it was so much fun!

My wandering thoughts as I read through:

-Those Egyptian sandals look just like modern ones, except I’ve never seen toe stalls before. Someone has very long and narrow toes!

-They have a lot of Javanese artifacts in one place. Must be a generous donor.

-I like the modern quirky stuff interspersed with the ancient relics.

-I still find it hard to get used to people wearing ear gauges, but I guess people have been doing weird things to their ears for millenia..

-I spotted the Chinese wedding headdress! Wish there was some jade bangles and hair pins to look at.

-I really want that Tiffany moonstone necklace!

-Alexander McQueen was such an incredibly gifted designer and artist. Also, a cultivator of other artists who produced these detailed works of wonder for his atelier. We really lost him too soon.

-I keep seeing these torque necklaces. Is it a matter of time before the torque makes a revival? I already see this starting with bangles.

Reactions: AV_

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy thanks so much for taking the time to share. I really loved the Italian gold grape vine necklace and the wonderful pair of golden arm bracelets. I’d happily wear them now even though they are so very old.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO much for sharing this! That celtic neck ring is unreal!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all these wonderful pics and info @missy! Made me feel like I was right there with you :appl: Such an interesting and fun exhibit, I really enjoyed it!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a collection! Love the diversity of pieces... there are some real exquisite ones. The dragonfly brooch and Tiffany moonstone necklace really caught my eye. And the emerald Crown of the Andes... it’s breathtaking.

Thanks so much @missy for treating us to this fabulous tour!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a fast reader too @missy but not fast enough for SOME people ha!ha!

Thankfully my hubby likes to read details at an exhibit too. It's pretty necessary for getting the most out of any show.

But I've been with some folks who seem to take one quick look around the room, and want to move on. Then I skim the explanations and take photos. And try not to go to a museum with them in the future!

LOL I hear you. I am usually the opposite. The one who gets impatient and wants to move on but when it comes to anything bling...:lol: I love museums very much but I generally have a 2 hour limit before I get restless. But I am very efficient and never feel like I missed anything plus I go back whenever I want to so 2 hours at a stretch works for me. Though yesterday since we did 2 exhibits we were there longer than 2 hours.

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a feast for my eyes this morning! Thank you for taking us along with you through this extraordinary exhibit! Just fascinating! Your photos are stunning!

Thank you @Bonfire! Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Love it Missy. Thank you for giving us such a lovely start to our day. I loved that gold collar and the Tiffany pieces and so many of the delicate pieces that came toward the end. It reminded me that for so many centuries jewelry has had such cultural significance. As a not very sentimental person, I forget and just look at it as a sparkly piece on my hand. For many, jewelry has a lot of meaning. Thank you for taking so much time to post and share.:wavey:

Thanks so much @LLJsmom. Glad you loved it and it was my pleasure. Yes the Tiffany pieces were TDF and well I loved that Chanel dress. All of it rich with meaning. But so easy to forget that and just revel in the beauty.

Thank you, Missy, for taking us to the museum, it was so much fun!

My wandering thoughts as I read through:

-Those Egyptian sandals look just like modern ones, except I’ve never seen toe stalls before. Someone has very long and narrow toes!

-They have a lot of Javanese artifacts in one place. Must be a generous donor.

-I like the modern quirky stuff interspersed with the ancient relics.

-I still find it hard to get used to people wearing ear gauges, but I guess people have been doing weird things to their ears for millenia..

-I spotted the Chinese wedding headdress! Wish there was some jade bangles and hair pins to look at.

-I really want that Tiffany moonstone necklace!

-Alexander McQueen was such an incredibly gifted designer and artist. Also, a cultivator of other artists who produced these detailed works of wonder for his atelier. We really lost him too soon.

-I keep seeing these torque necklaces. Is it a matter of time before the torque makes a revival? I already see this starting with bangles.

Thank you and great points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I could never put any of those in my nose or lips or ears. There were barely any "lightweight" earrings in the exhibit. Heavy but gorgeous. And I also want that Tiffany moonstone necklace. More beautiful in person than in my photos.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy thanks so much for taking the time to share. I really loved the Italian gold grape vine necklace and the wonderful pair of golden arm bracelets. I’d happily wear them now even though they are so very old.

Aww thank you @RosieR. I am so glad you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for taking the time to read through each post. And yes I would happily wear any of those necklaces or gorgeous golden arm bracelets. They are simply breathtaking.

Thank you SO much for sharing this! That celtic neck ring is unreal!!

It is! Glad you enjoyed and thank you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all these wonderful pics and info @missy! Made me feel like I was right there with you :appl: Such an interesting and fun exhibit, I really enjoyed it!

Thank you sweet Junie! Glad you felt like you were there with me..maybe next time you will be!:appl: It is running through February I think just in case you are up for making the trip. Let me know I will make myself available!

What a collection! Love the diversity of pieces... there are some real exquisite ones. The dragonfly brooch and Tiffany moonstone necklace really caught my eye. And the emerald Crown of the Andes... it’s breathtaking.

Thanks so much @missy for treating us to this fabulous tour!

My pleasure and thank you. Yes the pieces were breathtaking. And I also loved the pieces you mentioned above so much. The dragonfly was delicious. @Catmom calling your attention here because IIRC you love Dragonfly jewelry too.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you @RosieR. I am so glad you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for taking the time to read through each post. And yes I would happily wear any of those necklaces or gorgeous golden arm bracelets. They are simply breathtaking.

It is! Glad you enjoyed and thank you.

Thank you sweet Junie! Glad you felt like you were there with me..maybe next time you will be!:appl: It is running through February I think just in case you are up for making the trip. Let me know I will make myself available!

My pleasure and thank you. Yes the pieces were breathtaking. And I also loved the pieces you mentioned above so much. The dragonfly was delicious. @Catmom calling your attention here because IIRC you love Dragonfly jewelry too.

Fabulous!! Thank you so much for sharing and the dragonfly is indeed delicious. I have to tell you though, I could really rock those gold flip flops.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous!! Thank you so much for sharing and the dragonfly is indeed delicious. I have to tell you though, I could really rock those gold flip flops.

Hahaha I have no doubt at all @Catmom that you indeed could rock those sharp (literally and figuratively) flip flops.8-)
slider_yourock.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great exhibit, you must’ve had a ball looking at all those lovely pieces. Thank you for sharing.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Wow wow wow!!!

What an absolutely mesmerizing exhibit full of incredibly unique works of art.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! You’re too sweet! :kiss2:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went TOO!!!!!!!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great exhibit, you must’ve had a ball looking at all those lovely pieces. Thank you for sharing.

Wow wow wow!!!

What an absolutely mesmerizing exhibit full of incredibly unique works of art.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! You’re too sweet! :kiss2:

Thank you @Austina and @ice empress. It was my pleasure and I am happy you enjoyed the photos.

I went TOO!!!!!!!!!!

@motownmama what did you think of the exhibit? Do you have any photos to share?

Maybe we should plan a PS GTG field trip to something like this one day!

@MakingTheGrade I am up for that any time.:appl:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade I am up for that any time.:appl:

Haha I wonder what other people would think we do if they overheard us. I could see us swarming over exhibits discussing whether we thing something was hand carved or cast or die struck. Or if emeralds looked Colombian. Hehe

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow Missy! Thanks for taking the time and effort to let us live vicariously through you and explore this exhibit, which I’d not have the opportunity to see in person. That you took photographs of the descriptions made me feel like I was right there next to you! I had goosebumps thinking about the occasions some of these pieces were made and worn to commemorate! You are an angel for sharing this with us!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing the photographs with descriptions. It was really thoughtful of you to include all us jewelry enthusiasts on this forum. The diversity in perspectives, materials and craftsmanship was amazing,

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, Thank you so much for taking me to the museum during my lunch break!! What a wonderful trip through time! You are a gem to take the time to share this with us!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @missy!
The Egyptian jewels are my favorite!:love:

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow @missy, thank you for all the time and effort to take and upload these photos! It's an amazing exhibit, with plenty of eye candy and steeped in history. Some of the pieces are such classics that they look like they belong right here in our fashion today. And imagine your hair dripping with jewels! Such extravagance and glamour!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results