shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewellery purchase sins and how to handle them

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Well, way before PS I purchased a pair of diamond studs off an online auction platform. Good size, fabulous price (should have sensed something then) and they came with some sort of (probably faked) cert, stating they were VS2. Bad pictures, but I went for it anyways. What can I say... they were bad... very included - says me, advocate of „not perfect stones“. I took it as a lesson and kept them. Too tired to take the hassle to return them. And too embarrassed to try to sell them on. So what to do with them? Well, I started wearing them as hiking and skiing studs. The inclusions remind me of crystal and snow, so perfect for my beloved mountains. And so I came to peace with them. Have you ever made a jewellery purchase sin? And what did you do?

Attachments

• 42A17C51-A629-4D42-9FE2-2ADC55A57430.jpeg
    42A17C51-A629-4D42-9FE2-2ADC55A57430.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 15

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I think they look cool. Like salt n pepper studs.

When I was younger, I bought a lot of gold and gemstone/diamond jewelry from Costco. They worked for me at that age. Then I grew up, found PS, and wanted better. I ended up selling most of those old pieces for their gold. Probably could have gotten more if I took the time to post them on eBay but I just didn’t want to deal with it. I still have one ring from them that my bf now hubby bought for me from Costco. It doesn’t get to see the light of day but it’s a sentimental piece.

Learned my lesson there and only buy timeless pieces now.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few rings that DH gave me many years ago before either of understood there were great jewelry options outside of the mall. They are diamond and sapphire (kid's birthstones) but the sapphires are almost black, the diamonds are tiny spit drops. They don't fit and are not worth resizing for me. I might sell them and talk to DH about considering one meaningful birthstone ring with nicer stones...but alas...I have other projects in the works right now and then really should take a break for a while.

Well, way before PS I purchased a pair of diamond studs off an online auction platform. Good size, fabulous price (should have sensed something then) and they came with some sort of (probably faked) cert, stating they were VS2. Bad pictures, but I went for it anyways. What can I say... they were bad... very included - says me, advocate of „not perfect stones“. I took it as a lesson and kept them. Too tired to take the hassle to return them. And too embarrassed to try to sell them on. So what to do with them? Well, I started wearing them as hiking and skiing studs. The inclusions remind me of crystal and snow, so perfect for my beloved mountains. And so I came to peace with them. Have you ever made a jewellery purchase sin? And what did you do?

I like these a lot! I would set them in a black rhodium finish bezel if you ever plan to do something about it :D would look super cool that way.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what to do with them? Well, I started wearing them as hiking and skiing studs.

Totally agree with this approach. Spouse has similar ones that are always so dirty that they look like this (and they were not great to begin with). That's what happens to studs -- as soon as you handle them. And they don't get cleaned like rings. And she wears them just like you are proposing.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Live with it. It’s still in my collection and I may bring it out every several years. I try not to think what I could have bought with that money.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I like these a lot! I would set them in a black rhodium finish bezel if you ever plan to do something about it :D would look super cool that way.

Cool idea! Never even considered to reset!

Cool idea! Never even considered to reset!

Always happy to provide ideas :D looking at the stone again, they really do have a lovely stardust/snow kind of look about them. If you do decide to reset, you could look into a jacket (removable or otherwise) that is in that antique/black rhodium finish, perhaps shaped like a snowflake or stylised starburst (latter is my preference) something like the attached pictures but with the proportions tweaked.
3E05DB41-EAB4-41B9-A98E-003BB166A559.jpeg 63DFDA69-A697-4B18-9604-980683D6BDDF.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Early, early on in the days where I was delving into the world of jewelry, a middle phase where I was embarking from a entire life admired of crystals and rocks and just getting interested in gemstones, I became aware of Alexandrites. Due to my name and the semblance, I had to have one.

I searched on ebay & etsy as I had no clue of the fabulous online market places such as multicolor, etc. And I found a shop selling what I now consider to be crappy to somewhat lower mediocre rare gems on Etsy.
I found an over one carat (I believe its 1.40cts but I cannot remember as I've tried to forget) Alexandrite that in photos looked pretty lovely.

It was set in a 10k yellow gold vintage setting which they admitted to putting the alex in. It was $500 and my first purchase of something I thought was really worth something.

I took two months on layaway to pay for it in its entirety and when I received it It was darker and mostly opague but it was an alexandrite and did have a noticeable color change.

Just imagine a poorly faceted opague alexandrite rock and thats it! Not a fine gemmy stone but a true rock pretty much. As I grew in my knowledge for gemstones and fine Alexandrites I came to make peace with the crappy purchase and while I'd never buy it now or do the same over again knowing what I know, I use it as my "token" first bad fine jewelry purchase.

Ive also gone on to purchase two other faceted alexandrites which I love & a pair of cat eye alexandrites which I adore.

But yes. I look at that gem in its gem case, (as I dismantled it from its antique setting and had a garnet set into it) & chuckle to myself.
It is an alexandrite over a carat though and its fun to have and show my daughter the color change so I do get some weird semblance of joy out of it.

Feast your eyes on my butt-ugly Alexandrite :-o

What should I do with it? Keep using it as a learning stone for my kids? Throw this b**ch into the ocean?
Glue it onto my childs art project for school and hope some kid in the hallway picks it off? Haha

IMG_20200704_114630.jpg IMG_20200704_114258.jpg

Early, early on in the days where I was delving into the world of jewelry, a middle phase where I was embarking from a entire life admired of crystals and rocks and just getting interested in gemstones, I became aware of Alexandrites. Due to my name and the semblance, I had to have one.

I searched on ebay & etsy as I had no clue of the fabulous online market places such as multicolor, etc. And I found a shop selling what I now consider to be crappy to somewhat lower mediocre rare gems on Etsy.
I found an over one carat (I believe its 1.40cts but I cannot remember as I've tried to forget) Alexandrite that in photos looked pretty lovely.

It was set in a 10k yellow gold vintage setting which they admitted to putting the alex in. It was $500 and my first purchase of something I thought was really worth something.

I took two months on layaway to pay for it in its entirety and when I received it It was darker and mostly opague but it was an alexandrite and did have a noticeable color change.

Just imagine a poorly faceted opague alexandrite rock and thats it! Not a fine gemmy stone but a true rock pretty much. As I grew in my knowledge for gemstones and fine Alexandrites I came to make peace with the crappy purchase and while I'd never buy it now or do the same over again knowing what I know, I use it as my "token" first bad fine jewelry purchase.

Ive also gone on to purchase two other faceted alexandrites which I love & a pair of cat eye alexandrites which I adore.

But yes. I look at that gem in its gem case, (as I dismantled it from its antique setting and had a garnet set into it) & chuckle to myself.
It is an alexandrite over a carat though and its fun to have and show my daughter the color change so I do get some weird semblance of joy out of it.

Feast your eyes on my butt-ugly Alexandrite :-o

What should I do with it? Keep using it as a learning stone for my kids? Throw this b**ch into the ocean?
Glue it onto my childs art project for school and hope some kid in the hallway picks it off? Haha

IMG_20200704_114630.jpg IMG_20200704_114258.jpg

Don’t throw it away! Haha. As you said - it’s a learning experience. I honestly would try and find a way to use it somehow though the issue with that is of course the cost of labour. My very first thought was to use it on the handle of a decorative box of some kind :D my mom has a box that she fills with nuts and small snacks for when she has guests over, and the box is plain with a very decorative lid handle/knob (the lid handle/knob almost looks like a Thai princess ring - has a bunch of stones in purple and blue and white (though I’m sure none of them are actually precious)!) the stone reminded me of that handle/knob :D

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh goodness yes!! I actually commited 2 :oops: that were already stated...i purchased a cloudy, highly included alexandrite ring, AND highly included diamond studs. I felt the same way, i didnt feel like a long, drawn out battle with the sellers, so i sold them (while being painfully honest about both) and took my losses (and lessons) like a champ!! :lol:

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't say I have so much, I have bought cheap and not great quality stuff, but have known it is when I bought it lol.

I have lots of gem stone RHRs that are cute but not amazing quality (enhanced etc). But they serve their purpose and were like £100-200.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago (Pre-PS) I bought a similar pair of studs like yours @Roselina.
They were from Ebay. When they arrived, they were so disappointing. Such a bad decision!
I rarely wore them. They even hurt my eyes, they were so included!
I resold them for a $20 loss. But I'm glad they are no longer in my house!! Haha

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Actually, just remembered I bought some AWFUL diamond stud earrings when I was very very young. Very cloudy, very overpriced.

Sadly I don't have a pic, and gave them away to a friend years ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results