shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers Can’t Set Stone in Ritani Setting?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justindo

Rough_Rock
Last month I purchased a princess cut diamond from Whiteflash and ordered a simple four-pronged Ritani Endless Love setting, which was supposed to be custom made to my stone’s dimensions, from Pearlman’s. I received the setting a couple weeks ago and noticed that the prongs were spaced too closely to accommodate the diamond. Although I thought this was odd, I figured that perhaps that’s how settings were normally created. Today, I took both the diamond and the setting to three separate local jewelers, all reputable from what I’ve heard. Each jeweler refused to set the stone, saying that the setting had the incorrect prongs (not V-shaped) and that it wasn’t the correct size setting for the stone to begin with. One jeweler said he could set it, but that the slightest bump on the stone would force it loose from the setting due to the incorrect prongs. Another said that he could replace the prongs with the correct V-shaped prongs. Are these jewelers correct?

I’ve seen pictures (Photoshopped?) of my setting with a princess cut stone in it and two different similar Ritani settings in stores set with CZs that looked okay, although I couldn’t judge how secure the stone was.

My question for you all is what should I do? If one jeweler had said this, I perhaps would accept it as him being unfamiliar with such prongs or not being skilled enough to set it, but three out of the three I tried has me worried. Considering the price of the setting, I expect it to be a perfect match for my stone. Any advice on what to do? Thanks in advance.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d send the stone and ring to Pearlmans and see if they''ll send them both to Ritani to set. I''m honestly surprised they sold you the setting that way. whenever I''ve talked to Bill he always recommends sending the stones to the designers b/c the settings seem to get messed up when the local guys try and set them. anyway, call Pearlman''s and see what they can do but I''d only want Ritani to do it if it were me.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 10:45:52 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I''d send the stone and ring to Pearlmans and see if they''ll send them both to Ritani to set. I''m honestly surprised they sold you the setting that way. whenever I''ve talked to Bill he always recommends sending the stones to the designers b/c the settings seem to get messed up when the local guys try and set them. anyway, call Pearlman''s and see what they can do but I''d only want Ritani to do it if it were me.
Ditto. I''m sure Bill will be able to help you work this out.

justindo

Rough_Rock
Pearlman''s did want me to send the stone to them to send to Ritani, but I was nervous about them or Ritani switching diamonds on me. Is this a real or imagined fear?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 10:56:13 PM
Author: justindo
Pearlman's did want me to send the stone to them to send to Ritani, but I was nervous about them or Ritani switching diamonds on me. Is this a real or imagined fear?

I completely understand being afraid but both Pearlmans and Ritani are highly respected companies and surely wouldn't want to risk loosing their business's and jail time just to get your stone
2.gif
. You can always have an independant appraiser be the middle man if that makes you more comfortable. they can verify the stone on the way out and verify it on the way back but I trust pearlman's 100%.

i'd be more worried about a local setter ruining your ritani..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to feeling more concerned about having someone local set it! No one will set it better than Ritani. And I can assure you, neither Ritani nor Bill Pearlman would have the slightest interest in switching a stone. I would recommend going ahead and insuring it before sending it, and then there will be no worries at all.

Also, the local people did not sell the stone or the setting, so they don't really have any reason to want to take the risk of setting your diamond.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
From what I''ve learned,.......... The diamond trade is one of the few industries left where a person''s word is their bond. Diamond traders spend years building a reputation in the industry. If they cheat even one customer, word spreads quickly thru-out the industry.

Reputable companies like Pearlman''s and Ritani are not going to risk their life long, hard earned reputation on an intentional diamond switch. You can bet your inscription, carat weight, measurements, inclusions, etc, will be thoroughly checked and rechecked by everyone handling your diamond.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree with the above. Send the whole job to Pearlmans.

If you’re seriously worried about problems with the jeweler, the setter, the shipper, etc., get it appraised first so you have a record of exactly what you’ve got before you send it it. Among other things, this will also allow you to get insurance on the whole deal so even in the remote possibility that there is a problem, it’s your insurance company who has to worry about it.

If it were me, I would have no problem trusting both Pearlman and Ritani with my stone. These are reputable companies with long standing reputations for treating their customers fairly.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results