shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler ruined the Tiffany & Co hallmark in a Tiffany ring

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Not quite sure what to even make of this but I have a Tiffany diamond and platinum ring that had sizing beads inside it. The ring was hallmarked Tiffany & Co, and I took it a jeweler to get the sizing beads removed. I asked them to ensure they didn't affect the hallmarks.

I picked up the ring today and the hallmark now says Tiffany & C They removed the o when they did the work to remove the sizing beads.

I'm pretty upset.

I haven't taken pictures of the damage as I just feel a bit sad when I look at the ring now. This is the ring from the Tiffany website. It's still a pretty ring, just feels a bit ruined...

I was quite surprised at their customer service too. They didn't apologise and just wanted to process the bill.

I couldn't really think of a solution, they couldn't either, so that was it, I just left with the ring. I know it's not a huge deal but it's pretty sad to have something irreversibly damaged.

_23103.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Re: Jeweler ruined the Tiffany & Co hallmark in a Tiffany ri

I feel upset for you, I wonder whether it would be worth taking the ring to tiffany's and asking their opinion.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Laraonline.

I really regret trusting an independent jeweller to remove the beads, the beads were put in by Tiffany & Co so were perfectly soldered in.

I just can't believe someone would be so careless as to damage a Tiffany & Co hallmark.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

Frustrating. Did you notce the 'similar thread' that came up as a result of your thread?
A jeweller removed a Graff mark in a resize.
So unfortunately you arent the only person to go through something like this.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

That's just awful. You should contact the service department of Tiffany, either locally, or in NYC where most of all the repairs are now done. They should be able to restore your hallmark. Should you ever wish to re-sell your piece, it will be important. It may be a slight charge and a huge inconvenience but it will be worth it in the long run.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

I can't find the Graff thread Laraonline?

Thanks RanG, for your empathy.

I just spoke to my friend who used to work at Tiffany. She said to bring it into a store and see if they can re stamp it.

Hopefully it's okay and not too expensive.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did your jeweler charge you to remove the beads? If so, I'd try to complain and get your money back. Especially if getting it RE-stamped is going to cost you, they should cover it.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

Yay I'm so happy and relieved.

Tiffany & Co are fixing it :)

The jeweller didn't charge me which was good.

I was so upset yesterday and thought it was irreversible and was unsure what to do! So thank you.

Will take a few weeks but it will also be polished as well :)

Yay!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wonderful news.

I have a Tiffany Fancy Yellow Diamond ring, and only Tiffany will get to touch it.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

Hi ctflutist,

It may be a policy I need to enforce too! However the convenience of not having to send things away for 3 weeks I have to admit makes independent jewellers appealing as they can do the same job in a day or two.

I just wish they had just told me it was something they were unable to do easily, rather than to talk me into it and then do a very less than perfect job. I would have just left the sizing beads in.

Really really happy and so relieved that Tiffany are fixing it :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

bliss_cathy|1412988487|3765666 said:

I was so upset yesterday and thought it was irreversible and was unsure what to do! So thank you.

Yay!!!

I literally cringed when I read the title of your thread, but I am so glad to hear that Tiffany will fix it for you. I have found that Tiffany has excellent customer service, so I'm sure that your ring will come back to you looking good as new:)

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

momhappy|1413030069|3765769 said:
bliss_cathy|1412988487|3765666 said:

Yay!!!

I literally cringed when I read the title of your thread, but I am so glad to hear that Tiffany will fix it for you. I have found that Tiffany has excellent customer service, so I'm sure that your ring will come back to you looking good as new:)

Haha, thanks. I wasn't sure if people were going to think I was overreacting, so I'm very grateful people understand how it felt for me and it felt like a very big deal!

I felt a bit ill on the day it happened, and really had no idea what to do. So I went from feeling quite helpless to extremely relieved :)). I didn't really even want to look at the ring after the wonky job and just put it in a drawer when I got home. I have to admit Tiffany really do have excellent customer service, and I was very happy to find out it was something they could even do, particularly as the damage was caused by another jeweller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results