shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler in Canada comes to my Aid, after bad experience with Platinumsmith in Melb, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmelb

Shiny_Rock

I'm sure most of you have seen my thread regarding my (horrible) experience with Platinumsmith, (Phillip Schmidt) Melb Australia.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-experience-platinumsmith-com-au-phillip-schmidt-melb-australia.47450/

In my last post on that thread, I purchased a ring off the shelf without my partners knowledge thinking it would be a quick fix instead of going and getting another ring hand made and going through what we went through. She didn't like the ring as didn't flow with the diamond as a hand made custom ring would, to replace the one that was horribly made by Platinumsmith.

Now to the good news.

My partner and I have found a Professional Designer and who Specializes in Platinum work Jewelry in Canada who had a read of my post has come to our Aid and is currently hand making the Platinum ring as I write this.

And he is well aware of the whole fiasco and is in total agreement with myself that the job was horrendous and a disgrace to the arts.

The Ring should be completed in a few weeks and I know you will want to see pictures of the ring once it’s complete and I promise to have pictures soon as the ring is in my hand and get a hold of a camera with good Marco mode.

Notice Prototype of the ring attached. The jeweler prepared an insert sleeve in silver which is to confirm finger size diameter and the O.D. of the sleeve is exactly that on which he builds your ring on and get measurements on the location and formation.

The exact measurements and shape of the ring with the digital vernier, and the beauty of the way this jeweller works is that he doesn't need you to send the diamond, you just give him the specks of your stone and he makes a replica of it in silver to work with and fit it to your exact design. See the replica of the diamond he did for me.

He is not like the others that just work approximately and try to flood out the loose join gaps with solder and hope you don’t notice with low lighting.

This jeweller works like a fine cabinet maker would, with fine fitting joins and minimum solder to hold everything together. And proper planning before proceeding with a project.

This is a prototype not used to cast a model it was used to show me before doing it in platinum (Hand wrought).

myringtf.jpg

clairen

Rough_Rock
Great to hear it''s coming together for you, good luck with it all.

If you are looking at a camera with absolute great marco Nikon 4800 takes pictures as close as 0.4 inches (1cm) "did I just say 1cm" that''s very close"
6.gif

Other option Nikon 4600 with 1.6 inches (4cm) marco.

Who''s the jeweller in Canada?

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Was just looking at the Nikon, thanks for the tips.

Jeweller is Allan Creates, in Canada www.ringlock.com

doglover4

Rough_Rock
Quick question for you. Will the jeweler set your stone in the ring or do you have to take it to someone else? Went on the web site and I wasn''t sure if he only makes the setting or completes the whole piece.

Thanks,

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 8:06:32 PM
Author: doglover4
Quick question for you. Will the jeweler set your stone in the ring or do you have to take it to someone else? Went on the web site and I wasn't sure if he only makes the setting or completes the whole piece.

Thanks,

Hi Doglover

I will have the stone set here by a local jeweler. Great thing about Allan Creates. www.ringlock.com you don't have to send in your diamond.

No need to worry if your stone is going to be lost in the mail as he makes a exact replica of it in silver to work with and fit's it to your exact design. So your diamond is always with you, nice and safe.
36.gif

doglover4

Rough_Rock
May I ask you why you choose him? Have you seen his work in person? I am curious because your setting looks lovely. Is it a bezel set or prong? I am looking for someone who does exquisite platinum work. I live in the states and I am not sure that any jeweler here will set someone else''s work.

cmelb

Shiny_Rock

Date: 7/16/2006 8:56:22 PM
May I ask you why you choose him? Have you seen his work in person? I am curious because your setting looks lovely. Is it a bezel set or prong? I am looking for someone who does exquisite platinum work. I live in the states and I am not sure that any jeweler here will set someone else''s work.

Did a search and found some posts about platinum and its quirks that he posted and contacted him for his opinion. He has well over 40 years experience in the jewelry industry and working with Platinum. I''ve seen some of his work, not in person though.

Any jeweler will set your stone, just make sure its someone you trust. I think in the US there are jewelers that specialize in just setting stones.

Below is a picture what the ring will look when it''s completed. He is currently remaking my ring that was botched up by someone else as you can see from the first post in this thread. Make sure you go to a jeweler that knows how to work with platinum and don''t make the mistakes I made.

whencompleted.jpg

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Doglover,

This is something you don't want to see on a ring, which are bad joins and many other flaws with the ring that was made for me by the previous jeweler who calls himself a professional.

Make sure you find someone that will give you warranty for there work and its written down and they have worked with platinum for along time.

platinumsmithswork.jpg

doglover4

Rough_Rock
Cmelb,

Thank you for the information. I am concerned about finding a jeweler that will set a stone precisely.
I often see very sloppy jobs.

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 1:43:21 PM
Cmelb,

Thank you for the information. I am concerned about finding a jeweler that will set a stone precisely.
I often see very sloppy jobs.

Besides sloppy settings, be sure that when you get a custom ring made that (each prong has an angle cut into it to accommodate and conform to the stone''s shape, providing a secure seat on which the stone can rest evenly).

And not Cut With A Saw as mine was.

More info here on prongs http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1998/feb98/0298fql.html

platinumsmithswork2.jpg

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Some pictures of my new ring that is being made from Platinum & Ruthenium (Hard Platinum).

The Platinum is (96% Platinum & 4% Ruthinum)

myringcmelb1.jpg

clairen

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 11:38:16 PM
Author: cmelb
Some pictures of my new ring that is being made from Platinum & Ruthenium (Hard Platinum).

The Platinum is (96% Platinum & 4% Ruthinum)
Looking good.

96% PLT and 4% Ruth, is that a typo you sure its not 95%Plt and 5% Ruth ? havent heard of anyone using 96% Plt

Nice to see a ring being made in stages. My wifes rings she got them changed from WG to Plt mixed with copper.

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Clairen,

No typo it''s (96% Platinum & 4% Ruthinum) Hard Platinum.

The ring is almost complete
36.gif

doglover4

Rough_Rock
How does this differ from other platinum?

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 9:54:04 PM
How does this differ from other platinum?
Hi Doglover.

The reason that Allan Creates, in Canada www.ringlock.com is using 96% Platinum & 4% Ruthinum, it's easy to work with when custom making a ring compared to 95% Platinum & 5% Ruthinum.

Here is a picture of my completed ring
9.gif

completedring1.jpg

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Hi Garry,

The very top of the shoulders on my new ring are more so flat and thin to keep the nice flush flat look so the ends of the shoulders don''t protrude out when viewing the diamond from the top and don''t take the look away from the diamond if viewing the diamond from the "top" or the side, so it all flows nicely. The ends of the shoulders sit flush with the very top of the bezel and are cut nicely and even.
9.gif

clairen

Rough_Rock
Nice, looks good. Make sure to get pictures with the diamond set in the ring.

Now I got my wife looking at asschers and new settings
38.gif

Jolly

Rough_Rock
Cmelb.
Correct me if I am wrong but is this is the same ring you said you paid AUD$900 for? Lets hope this jeweler doesn't share in the same experience as your last two.

Jolly

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 4:28:57 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Is the top of the band curved?

You might see that around the square edge from the top cmelb?

I see. In this version the band is rounded all the way. I guess that is to prevent having a solder join half way along the bezel. Do you think the photo has been retouched or the ring has been tinkered with?. There was nothing in the original photos like that.

May

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
JOLLY. That's right now I remember on my previous thread you where posting and protecting and defending Phillips work and you where caught out "PHILLIP" do not take us for fools and post here under a different alias and pretend to be someone else.

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
Couldn''t you have just bought the Vatche X prong and not have to go thru all this? It looks identical to it.

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Hi Garry,

When I responded to your question I wrote.

The very top of the shoulders on my new ring are more so flat and thin to keep the nice flush flat look so the ends of the shoulders don't protrude out when viewing the diamond from the top.

Jolly, that's right now I remember on my previous thread you where posting and protecting and defending Phillips work and you where caught out "PHILLIP" do not take us for fools and post here under a different alias and pretend to be someone else.

Please see 2 pictures attached. Untouched and not edited

cmelbring2.jpg

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Once the diamond is placed on top you wont see the top of the shoulders as the diamond edge will cover that.

There are no joins there and its nicely cut and there is no solder or sloppy joins to take the look away from the diamond.

cmelbring3.jpg

doglover4

Rough_Rock
Cmelb,

Have you found a jeweler to set your stone yet. The setting looks like it is going to be lovely.
May I ask was it very costly to do this piece?

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 9:27:13 PM
Cmelb,

Have you found a jeweler to set your stone yet. The setting looks like it is going to be lovely.
May I ask was it very costly to do this piece?

It was a good fair price. I''m sure you can get cheap custom work done only to pay more later in getting the problems fixed. I''ve seen a few people on PS that had to get a few jeweler items remade due to poor workmanship "like myself" and these people call themselves Platinumsmiths and experts.

So always go to someone who has been dealing with Platinum jewelry for along time as not everyone can work with platinum.

doglover4

Rough_Rock
Does the platinum mix that he is using make the piece more or less resistant to scratches. That is the only thing that I am concerned about with platinum. I heard it shows scratches rather quickly.

Also what type of wedding band are you choosing?

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:01:42 PM
Does the platinum mix that he is using make the piece more or less resistant to scratches. That is the only thing that I am concerned about with platinum. I heard it shows scratches rather quickly.

Also what type of wedding band are you choosing?

The (96% Platinum & 4% Ruthinum) is Hard Platinum that Allan uses and has been using it for a very long time. The 4% Ruthinum mix that is used will make your ring "resist dents and scratches" when compared to alot of other Platinum rings out there.

Also with the (96% Platinum & 4% Ruthinum) Hard Platinum it holds a very good polish and is more rigid, so your prongs wont loosen so easily when compared to 95% Platinum and 5% iridium.

For the wedding band we are looking at the Platinum channel set diamond, very similar to the tiffany one.

I found a good local jeweler that will set the stone and it wont take long for him to do and I will be there when he sets it.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results