shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler chipped my Red Labradorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Katinka

Rough_Rock

This is my first time posting. I’m hoping someone can give me advise.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a 2 ct, 9x7 cushion cut red labradorite from JTV. I took it to a local jeweler yesterday, along with a 14K gold setting to have the stone set. I’ve never been to that jeweler before but didn’t think it would be that big of a deal to have a stone set. I called him first and explained to him what I wanted done and he said he could do it while I waited. So I took the stone and ring in and explained to him again that the stone was red labradorite/andesine and the ring was 14K gold. He went in the back and was there for about 20 minutes. He came back out with a smile on his face and handed me the ring. I was horrified to see that the stone was chipped in the corner. The top of the stone is checkerboard cut and a very thin layer was chipped off the top, removing one checkerboard facet completely and part of another. I immediately pointed it out to the jewelry and he asked me if the stone was made of plastic! I told him it wasn’t and explained to him again that it was a red labradorite/andesine. He asked me where I got it and when I told him JTV, he laughed and said it wasn’t real. He said it was colored quartz and that he was a Gemologist and sees colored quartz from the jewelry shopping channels all the time, being passed off as other gemstones. He said he could tell because of the streaks in the stone and that naturally colored stones are perfectly colored all the way around. I told him that banding is normal in red labradorite and he just laughed. After going round and around with him I finally said, “Look, this is a red labradorite/andesine and you chipped it. It was not like this when I brought it in. What are you going to do to make things right.” He said he will take it to his lapidary and have him fix it. He said the checkerboard facet can easily be repaired and I won’t even be able to tell the difference. He hopes to have it back on Wednesday.

I’m very nervous about Wednesday and I don’t have a positive outlook. I want to know if someone can please tell me what my options are if the stone is not fixed to my satisfaction. By him already telling me that the stone is not what I claim it to be, I have a feeling he is going to continue to lie to me if I tell him I’m not happy with the repair. I would greatly appreciate any advise and suggestions.

Thanks!
Kathy

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Kathy...welcome.

I''m so sorry your first post has to be about this mess!
8.gif

I''m really not sure what your options are. If the stone doesn''t come back ''mended'' to your satisfaction, you certainly should expect to be compensated for the cost of the stone. Unfortunately, this jerk (and he IS a first class JERK
29.gif
) may insist it is a fake, requiring you to get a lab report to prove that it''s real....a further expense to you.

Hopefully others will have more constructive ideas. I can''t write what I think of this jeweler...this is a G-rated forum...but I hope you don''t let his attitude intimidate you.

I''d be very angry, and I''d let him know it.

Sorry I can''t be of more help.
widget

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Katin....,So sorry to hear about your stone. I had the same thing happen to me with an Anesine/Labradorite from JTV (it is a soft stone) when it was being set.She called me and told me about it and offered to replace it.I thanked her and we ended up splitting the cost and she kept the stone. It was a 7MM heart and it was a tiny chip that could have been hid by a prong but she was honest with me as she always is.I think your jeweler should replace the stone if you are not completely satisfied with the repairs.Oh ....they do not like the shopping channels. I guess it is their competition.

Let us know the out come Wednesday. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Connie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear of your bad experince with the "Jeweler/ Gemologist". The person you have been dealing with has been less than honest so far. He/She is most likely used to dealing with a naive client that would believe what ever he/she says. In this instance you were better informed about colored stones than the "Jeweler/ Gemologist". This is another reason they do not like the TV jewelry shows. I have met a few with this sort of attitude. The person setting the stone most likely is not used to working with softer stones.
I agree with widgets post completly.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully the cutter can restore your stone with little weight loss. I''m sorry you had to deal with such an apparent jerk. His type reflects poorly on all of us.
20.gif

Katinka

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone. Hopefully, everything will turn out okay on Wednesday. But you’re right. The guy is very dishonest and not too knowledgeable. He even commented on my Spessartite ring, saying there is no way the color was natural and that it has to be laser enhanced to achieve that color. At that point, I was too tired to argue and just shook my head.

One thing for sure, after I pick my ring up, I will never step foot in there again!

Thanks again!
Kathy

conitta

Shiny_Rock
This jeweler says he is a gemologist? He sure isn''t up to date and dishonest on top of that.Sounds like you know more than he does...You go girl! ! !

stonejunkie

Rough_Rock
i am so sorry this has happened to you. I had a similar problem with one of my stones being set. i was fortunate that the stone wasn''t chipped. The jeweler was as stupid as the one that you had went to. I checked his credentials and he was a certified gem and also a lapidary. I told him what the gem''s were and told him to take special precautions with them when setting the stones. also, i told him what the stones were and the mohls hardness. i thought i was doing everyting right on my part. He put a long indention on both of the stones from holding them in place to set them. Then he claimed that the stones were not real. then with the green labradorite he said that it was an alexandrite, because of the color shift was strong and i kept insisting that it was not. He told me that it was a risk that i took to have the stones set. We are still negotiating what he should do about the scratches on the top of the stones. Should he be responsible for repolishing the stone to get the indentions out and i wonder if i should let him touch them at all?

Are the labradorite/andesine so new that the gemologist do not know what they are?

i thought they would keep up on what is going on.. the world of gemology is constantly changing. I am not a gemologist and i know that.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Often a jeweler will have a small sign up, stating that they are not responsible for damaging stones when setting them. I think it would be wise to ask about the policy before having a stone set.
Also, many are not to experianced setting colored stones, only diamonds. Make sure that they don''t blast steam on the stone after setting. Often the jeweler store does no setting, and will simply sub it out to a local goldsmith. In this case, you would be better off seeking out the goldsmith yourself, and avoiding paying the markup by the jeweler.
I get asked all the time by jewelers to fix scratched or chipped stones. I don''t really like doing this kind of work, and often it''s actually cheaper just to replace the stone.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/26/2006 10:42:33 AM
Author: stonejunkie
Are the labradorite/andesine so new that the gemologist do not know what they are?...i thought they would keep up on what is going on.. the world of gemology is constantly changing. I am not a gemologist and i know that.
First, let me say I''m sorry about these problems. But if you''re going to buy loose stones from TV shopping channels you''d better learn some basic gemology/mineralogy. One of the big surprises for most consumers is how little many jewelers really know about colored gems.

They''re probably up to speed on diamond, ruby, sapphire, emerald and tanzanite. Beyond that many are really hopeless, even if they call themselves "gemologists" and have a GIA certificate to "prove" it. Lots haven''t cracked a book since they memorized the rather easy answers to the GIA Colored Stone course''s final exam.

This jeweler was stupid in a couple of ways. First, he misrepresented his own ignorance and ineptness. Second, he was dumb enough to accept a red plagioclase feldspar stone for setting! Anyone with the slightest clue about gemology/mineralogy knows all feldspars (sunstones, moonstones, labradorite, etc., etc.) have nearly perfect cleavage in two directions: a setter''s nightmare. The slightest pressure in the wrong place closing a prong or bezel and "pop," there goes a cleavage plane! (The image shows cleavage planes that have been opened in a moonstone cab (another type of feldspar). They will only grow larger as setting pressure is applied so I''ll have to recut it before setting.

I wouldn''t think of accepting anyone else''s andesine/labradorite/"labrasine" or other feldspar gem to be set except "at your own risk." The chances of breakage are far too high, even with the gentlest touch. As for hardness, they''re as hard as tanzanite but easier to break because zoisite (tanzanite) has only one direction of cleavage - touchy enough! I won''t accept financial responsibility for setting someone else''s tanzanite either.

Richard M.

Feldspar Cleavages.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an ignorant jeweler. Sounds like the problems I had with my Tanzantie being set. The jeweler ended up sending it out and paying for the scratches to be removed.

He had told me the scratches were there in the first place and NO they weren''t.

Please let us know what happens ok?

Linda

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard:

Do you have any advice for those of us who have red labradorite that we''d like to get set? I have a ~2ct trilliant that I was planning to get set as pendant fairly soon, as well as a few smaller pieces...

Katrinka: I''m so sorry to hear about your terrible experience! I hope the lapidary is able to "repair" the "jeweler''s" damage!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
MINIMS

I had a 3.89ct Andesine/Labradorite set with no problem into a ring. I have a 3ct heart I want set into a pendent sometime in the near future and some smaller hearts for earrings. Hope I don''t have a problem there. Wish you luck.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/28/2006 1:33:34 AM
Author: MINIMS
Richard:

Do you have any advice for those of us who have red labradorite that we''d like to get set? I have a ~2ct trilliant that I was planning to get set as pendant fairly soon, as well as a few smaller pieces...

I have some too, and I''m going to take the risk of setting them myself before I offer any for sale. Once set into a pendant this material should be reasonably stable as long as it''s protected from hard knocks.

Just make sure the setter knows what s/he''s dealing with. Labradorite is a plagioclase feldspar and the word plagioclase is taken from the Greek "plagios oblique + klasis breaking or from klan to break." The ancient Greeks understood how sensitive feldspar cleavages can be.

Most setters make no gurantees against breakage of any stone they set. No matter how skilled they may be, all stones occasionally break or chip -- pushing or hammering metal against any stone involves some risk. And the labor charge for setting is usually a very tiny fraction of the value of the stone. Make sure you have an understanding with the setter about who''s responsible for what. Try to find a setter who''s familiar with a broad range of colored stones instead of someone who sets mainly diamonds.

Richard M.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 2:18:29 PM
Author:Katinka

This is my first time posting. I’m hoping someone can give me advise.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a 2 ct, 9x7 cushion cut red labradorite from JTV. I took it to a local jeweler yesterday, along with a 14K gold setting to have the stone set. I’ve never been to that jeweler before but didn’t think it would be that big of a deal to have a stone set. I called him first and explained to him what I wanted done and he said he could do it while I waited. So I took the stone and ring in and explained to him again that the stone was red labradorite/andesine and the ring was 14K gold. He went in the back and was there for about 20 minutes. He came back out with a smile on his face and handed me the ring. I was horrified to see that the stone was chipped in the corner. The top of the stone is checkerboard cut and a very thin layer was chipped off the top, removing one checkerboard facet completely and part of another. I immediately pointed it out to the jewelry and he asked me if the stone was made of plastic! I told him it wasn’t and explained to him again that it was a red labradorite/andesine. He asked me where I got it and when I told him JTV, he laughed and said it wasn’t real. He said it was colored quartz and that he was a Gemologist and sees colored quartz from the jewelry shopping channels all the time, being passed off as other gemstones. He said he could tell because of the streaks in the stone and that naturally colored stones are perfectly colored all the way around. I told him that banding is normal in red labradorite and he just laughed. After going round and around with him I finally said, “Look, this is a red labradorite/andesine and you chipped it. It was not like this when I brought it in. What are you going to do to make things right.” He said he will take it to his lapidary and have him fix it. He said the checkerboard facet can easily be repaired and I won’t even be able to tell the difference. He hopes to have it back on Wednesday.

I’m very nervous about Wednesday and I don’t have a positive outlook. I want to know if someone can please tell me what my options are if the stone is not fixed to my satisfaction. By him already telling me that the stone is not what I claim it to be, I have a feeling he is going to continue to lie to me if I tell him I’m not happy with the repair. I would greatly appreciate any advise and suggestions.

Thanks!
Kathy
Katinka....Well here it is Wednesday evening and I hope you have good news about your Andesine/Labradorite stone.Let us know.

Connie

Katinka

Rough_Rock
It’s Wednesday, here’s an update…
The jeweler called and said his lapidary is short handed with people on vacation and it won’t be ready until Friday. He continued his “colored quartz” theory and added that his lapidary totally agreed with him. Because of all the posts on the board about most jewelers not being responsible for chipping/breaking stones, I just bit my tongue and didn’t argue back. Even though I think he is dishonest, I guess I feel somewhat fortunate that he is taking responsibility and not charging me for the “repair”. I just hope my stone can be restored.

I want to thank everyone for the advise and words of encouragement. This has certainly been a learning experience and I feel that I’ve gained a lot of knowledge that will help me in the future. I’ll let you know what happens on Friday!

Kathy

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I am indeed sorry for your trouble. This too has happened to me. At the moment, I happen to be quite lucky in that my custom jeweller left his old place of employment and is now on his own. Recently, my diamond became loose in it''s setting and it was taken to him for repair. I asked the jeweller how this could happen with such a setting as mine (no prongs to catch and bend, for example). He said that it had a lot to do with the experience of the setter that placed the diamond in the ring. Apparently, the owner of the shop had a disagreement with his old and experienced setter and my ring was taken to a new guy instead. This very same setter later broke one of my very special amethysts that had been cut by Richard Homer especially for me. Fortunately, my lovely jeweller seems to have no enemies and the work he has been turning out for me is very well done. Best of luck with your piecce.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe one of the jeweler''s who post here could comment on what they think is the percent of scratched or chipped stones when setting. I always wonder this, as I get asked to fix them often (and turn them down). There is no fun to me in recutting a chipped stone!

Katinka

Rough_Rock

Well, I got my ring back today and I was pleasantly surprised. The lapidary did a good job repairing my stone. If I look closely at an angle, I can tell where the chip was because the stone is slightly “thinner” in that area. But looking from the top, you can’t really tell and the checkerboard facets are back! I am very satisfied with my ring.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your support!

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad they took care of you!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy it turned out well. Please post a picture when you can.

Linda

conitta

Shiny_Rock
So glad you are satisfied with the repair. Now enjoy your ring...
2.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Kathy, Just wondering if the jeweler still thought your stone was colored quartz?
I''m glad every thing worked out.
Doug

Katinka

Rough_Rock
Hi Doug,
Yes, he still insisted it was colored quartz and said it had a hardness of 4. He said the color would last for about five years and that I should try to get my money back from JTV. I was so happy my stone was repaired that I didn’t bother arguing with him.
I tried to post a picture, but the file was too big. I tried resizing, but it was still too big.
8.gif

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2006 7:22:03 PM
Author: Katinka

Hi Doug,
Yes, he still insisted it was colored quartz and said it had a hardness of 4. He said the color would last for about five years and that I should try to get my money back from JTV. I was so happy my stone was repaired that I didn’t bother arguing with him.

I tried to post a picture, but the file was too big. I tried resizing, but it was still too big.
8.gif

Well, this guy is a bit confused. Quartz has a hardness around 7 and labradorite has a hardness around 6 1/2. Maybe it's a dark pink apatite at around 5 or maybe a reddish-orange fluorite at a hardness of 4. If he is right about the hardness,it isn't what you think it is, yet neither is it what he says it is. I'd still want to know how he determined hardness though as he may have pulled that bit of info out of his nether regions...Ask him how he tested it for hardness and keep us posted.I'm really interested in this stone now. Thanks!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I don't blame you for not argueing with the " jeweler/gemologist " I can just see him trying to convince you to get your money back from JTV so you will buy from him instead.HAHA Us meer mortals have any idea what were talking about. I learned a good leason awhile back. I bought a 15ct heart shaped spessartite from one of those tv shows. It was a very bright orangeish/red. Very nice looking stone. I took it to a gemologist I am friends with. He suggested it was not worth what I paid for it. I sent it back and now I kick myself every time I think about the mistake that was. Any more I trust my own eyes and use the gemologist for identifing the material only. That spessartite was very saturated with a very pleasing color and very clean. I wish I had that stone today. At 42 USD a ct I would have had a very good deal. AAAARRRRGGG

Someone asked about setting labradorite. I think sticking with softer metals will minimize the chance of breakage. ie. high kt gold or plat. White gold does not bend as smoothly as the others. This is my opinion others may have different thoughts.
Doug

widget

Ideal_Rock
Kathy....I''m just dying to see a picture of your "red quartz"...LOL...

I wonder why you''re having sizing problems...did you go to your photo editing program and choose ''image size'' from the edit menu? You can then type in what pixel size you want. (I think anything between 200 and 500 pixels is good) Hope this helps.

There''s an interesting article about red feldspar in the new Gemstone Forecaster that just came out. Interesting read. Actually the whole thing is a fascinating read....check it out:

http://www.preciousgemstones.com/gfsummer06.html

widget

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget: Thank you for posting that newsletter. What a wealth of information!

I was beginning to wonder whether I paid too much for my little collection of red labradorite, but I''m now thinking I did OK. Not great, except maybe for my largest piece, but not bad.

widget

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome, MINIMS!

LOL....but you might not want to thank me if you get too hooked on reading the archived newsletters on that site. I''ve spent WAY too much time there!
20.gif

widget

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Jewelry Television was selling labradorite this morning in earrings and pendants. They kept saying how rare the gem is.
20.gif

Most jewelers are not familiar with the particular color that they are selling (more red). Jewelers do not associate labradorite with this color, therefore the confusion. However, rudeness is always unacceptable!!
They are indeed beautiful but use caution and care when wearing the feldspar (labradorite) in a ring.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results