shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler chipped my Red Labradorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will ask my setting guy when im in there this week/early next week.
He sets thousands of stones a year for other Jewelers.
He is very very good so his results may not be an indication of the average.
He set my fire opal cab in prongs without a scratch and hasnt damaged one of mine yet.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/5/2006 7:58:36 AM
Author: strmrdr
I ill ask my setting guy when im in there this week/early next week.

He sets thousands of stones a year for other Jewelers.

He is very very good so his results may not be an indication of the average.

He set my fire opal cab in prongs without a scratch and hasnt damaged one of mine yet.

Be sure to ask him how many faceted feldspar gems with 2 directions of nearly perfect cleavage he sets per year. Otherwise his answer will be meaningless in terms of this thread''s topic.

Good setters damage very few stones. But they''re used to working within a limited range of gem types: mostly diamonds and colored stones less prone to setting damage. Prong-setting opal cabs is easy once you know how; I''ve set hundreds with only one mishap when I was learning (and that was my own stone). But pushing metal against an easily-cleaved faceted gem is another matter. Red plagioclase is new as a widely-traded gem and most setters have no idea about its special handling requirements. There will probably be a learning curve.

Richard M.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t see a picture.
23.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I don''t either..
7.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow....I''m really impressed! Beautiful!
30.gif

This sure looks like a nice, more affordable option for those wanting pretty red gemstones! The setters of the world had better get cracking and get up to speed on working with this stuff!

Does anyone know if these guys are treated/enhanced?

widget

conitta

Shiny_Rock
OMG! I see a picture now. Katinka....I love it and the mounting also. Looks larger than a 9X7. Such a pretty stone...Don''t ya just love that gem...I love mine.

andsemi.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh My Kathy, your ring turned out BEAUTIFUL. How happy you must be. I love the design of it. It is gorgeous. Makes me want to have my stone set into a ring now.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Connie,

Are you afraid of banging and chipping your ring, being it is such a soft stone? That is one reason I haven''t had my stone mounted into a ring yet?

Linda

Katinka

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the compliments!

Connie, I love your ring too. Don’t you just love how this gem has an inner glow. So beautiful!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Linda, I guess I don''t worry about it. I love it and want to wear it and HOPE it doesn''t happen. I wear my Tanzanite and they are about the same...have not had them sized...lol! I have lots more Andesine/Labradorite, including a Heart I plan on putting into a pendent and 2 small hearts for earrings, when I can find a heart mounting/style I like...of course with diamonds around.....

Kathy......Thanks to you too and yes I love the inner glow. You said it right. I don''t care what the name of it is it is bueatiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results