color
clarity

Jeweler chipped my diamond.. Need advice

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
METROLOGICA324208410059
kemurphy|1372961692|3477296 said:
...I would do whatever I could to not work with this jewelry store. It sounds like you don't trust them with the replacement. Both in terms of them setting it and with them being honest about the stone.

I would think that the fact that they broke the original is pretty good grounds to get a refund IMO. I know buying online can be pretty overwhelming, especially if you don't have a lot of experience in diamonds. I'm mostly just a lurker here, but the people on pricescope are amazing. It's incredible what they can do if you give them guidance on what type of stone you want and your budget. They really take all the guesswork out of online shopping as they will tell you exactly why a particular stone is a good one.

It would be unfortunate if you stick with the store and then every time you look at your ring, you will think of the experience. If you can, start over and have a great experience so you will think of that rather than this terrible store.

I'm really sorry this happened... I would be devastated as well! ;(

Honestly, I would cut all ties with this store. You have seen the reviews and the BBB complaints... do you really want to end up placing one of those complaints? Even if nothing goes wrong with the next stone/setting, you are still going to feel uneasy about this jeweler and the whole situation. You mentioned that your DF regretted using this vendor and also not researching enough, so this is the chance to change that! :appl:

OP, please think this through... Get a refund and go elsewhere. I would view this as a positive, fortunate thing - a second chance to "do it right." :praise:

This is your enagement ring... you deserve to feel excited and happy about the whole experience. :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ibegypurpardon|1373062468|3477816 said:
thanks for all the input. you've helped open the eyes of two inexperienced jewelry buyers.
we are going to go tonight to demand a refund. using the reason, they damaged the product we paid for and it no longer exists.
if they are able to give us the setting (without any new damage), we are only going to ask they refund on the diamond they broke. then we can take the setting and go (certified) diamond shopping elsewhere.

we will get amex involved if they give us a problem.
hope to get this resolved asap. thanks again!

OOPS!! Just saw this post! :oops: I'm glad to hear the good news! Hopefully, it will be a relatively easy process! :D

Ibegypurpardon

Rough_Rock
well, we went to get our refund. They told us they don't do refunds. They said "we will give you better diamond" and pulled a couple out of an envelope that had no specs listed only what they could nervously come up with when asked. They stated the new one is so much clearer and bigger and all they want to do is make us happy. I told them they could offer us a diamond twice in size and were going to refuse, we are only interested in getting a refund.

20 minutes later they still say no refund. We told them we'll have Amex contact them if they are unwilling to cooperate. They said they'll contact their owner overseas and get back to us. The weekend ended and they never got back to us. Therefore FI will be calling Amex tonight after work to open a claim.

Hopefully they can help us out. The jewelry store refused to put anything in writing regarding what happened and that we were leaving without a diamond. Though FI opened an app on his phone during our visit that recorded most of the conversation.

We found a jewelry store nearby with 50+ reviews all very positive and stopped by. The woman seemed very helpful. Told us when they sell a diamond they teach you to identify its inclusions so every time you service it you are able to recognize the "fingerprints" of your diamond on return. Seemed very reputable and left with a good feeling. Will be going in tomorrow or Wednesday to take a look at diamonds in our spec range and hopefully get the ring completed. I can't wait to finally wear it.

(pardon any spelling errors, typing on the phone)

ChedWick

Rough_Rock
That seems like the best course of action right now. AMEX has amazing buyer protection that vendors have to agree to in order accept AMEX payments. So even if they refuse to issue a refund, AMEX can still issue it.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you found a jewelry store that you like!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to Amex, get a refund and start over somewhere else.

You're doing them no favors to drag this out. You and they are obviously not a good fit and both would benefit to go your separate ways.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call AMEX immediately!

Right now the jeweler has your money and you have nothing :nono: Geez, it sounds like a case for the police! I don't mean that literally, but it is robbery what they are doing.

And, not to try to rub salt in your wounds, but for future and for others reading: Always get every step of such a large transaction put in writing, including all relevant specs of the purchased diamond -- color, carat, clarity at least, cut preferrably. And to avoid problems, buy diamonds with lab reports from reputable labs.GIA, AGS are the best, but even EGL or another lab is better than nothing at all! And only buy diamonds with a no questions asked 2 week refund period in writing.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1373302525|3479104 said:
Right now the jeweler has your money and you have nothing :nono:
This is actually GOOD in situations like this. The jurisdiction at the moment is the credit card company, and this is their #1 hot button. Amex, by the way, is incredibly agreeable to work with as a consumer. There's two sides to every story and we haven't heard from the jeweler but the facts as outlined above are a slam dunk for a chargeback.

Ibegypurpardon

Rough_Rock
We asked several times at various stages for things to be put in writing for our own documentation and they refused.

We wanted documentation saying the ring had been resized and they refused, saying they chipped the diamond and they refused, saying we were leaving the store without the diamond and they refused.

We have a photo of the empty setting and we have most of our audio conversation with them regarding the whole ordeal recorded.

It's been 2 days since we asked for the refund. they said they'd get back to us and havent.
FI is going to open the claim when he gets home from work tonight.

thanks to those who responded along the way for all the input.. we appreciate it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been following along in the background and I just wanted to pop in to say, I hope it all ends well for you, and quickly. This is so stressful and causing unnecessary anguish on your part (who knows what the jeweller is experiencing) but I do know from other retail purchases that I've made in the past, AMEX is a DREAM to work with! They helped us and it all ended well.

Once you get your refund (and I'm remaining positive and confident you will...) then RUN out the door and "start the car", as they say in the older IKEA commercials! Regroup, plan your next moves, possibly entertain a PS vendor, then move slowly next time. I'm sure your probably feeling a tad gun shy at this point!

Best of luck - DUST DUST DUST - it all ends well for you.

Ibegypurpardon

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to give you guys an update... We got a new GIA diamond from another jeweler and they were able to mount it onsite. It's incredible the difference from the previous jewelers diamond.

The first one was according to the store a '0.70 carat G SI2 Princess' for 2200.
The new diamond is a GIA 0.75 G VS1 Princess for 3500.

In hindsight to us non experienced diamond buyers the first one doesn't even look princess cut, it looks cushion? and I'm wondering about the color being less than G due to the warm brown tints it picked up.

The dispute with Amex has been opened hopefully it doesn't take too long to resolve.

A short video clip of the new diamond in the sunlight.
http://instagram.com/p/bomJYvkirE/

Thanks again for all the input

_7916.jpg

_7917.jpg

_7918.jpg

_7919.jpg

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you have an even better diamond and your ring is stunning!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you were able to get another stone! Your ring is lovely! Don't worry about this experience tainting the whole engagement thing forever. I had a awful engagement, messed up all the way around and now 33 year later it is just a funny story. In fact, it sure makes it a heck of a lot easier to upgrade later on!!!

I hope AmEx is able to get you a full refund and you can get a beautiful band to go with your new sparklie!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results