shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White Sapphire + Brian Gavin custom ring =

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Earlier this year marked the 5 year anniversary of my relationship, plus I also landed my ideal job.
So to mark both these occasions, I started looking for a special gem to create a custom ring.

I had never considered myself a “sapphire person” before, just didn’t really see the appeal. But that was before I saw the awesome ones sourced and cut by Jeff White (http://www.whitesgems.com/) and owned by fellow PSers. But I had also just kinda assumed I couldn’t afford Jeff’s work in the past..

After speaking to a couple other cutters who didn’t have the suitable material, I went ahead and contacted Jeff.
I was inspired by the colour of TropicMaster’s (thread) beautiful sapphire - I asked Jeff for an elongated cushion cut in this colour, at least 7 - 7.5mm, and preferably with a violet tinge.
Fortunately for me, he had something that matched my requests perfectly and he came back with an ideal match re-cut candidate within days. Other CS‘ers will tell you how rare this is, to find a sapphire that fits all your desires perfectly. In that regards it is not at all like ordering a diamond, and many people wait months or even years for just the right sapphire to come along.
So I felt very fortunate and decided this stone must be “the one”. Also, to my pleasant surprise, Jeff’s quote came in under budget.
5.gif

So, after a number of weeks on the edge of my seat, my Jeff White “blue beauty” was finally complete, and I couldn’t be happier with the result.
The specs are:
2.02ct, heated Sri Lankan sapphire, flawless, measures 6.4 x 7.3mm. It is a slight colour shifter, with the colour an incredible bright rich brilliant blue, which turns a more violet silky deep blue in some lights.

I can’t possibly say enough nice things about Jeff. He is a real master of his craft. Plus is also fun and easygoing to speak with and is a true gentleman. I can’t recommend his services highly enough.
This stone is undoubtedly my favourite coloured gem, and I cannot wait to work with him again.

Here are some photos to show the before and after results of the re-cut – I found it quite incredible how little weight and even less mm that Jeff could cut off to achieve such an amazing change in appearance:

sapp compare JW aj repost.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

comparison 2 jw aj repost.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And here is Jeff''s awesome "glamour shot" :

SAP048 aj JW.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Once I had such a gorgeous sapphire, I knew I only wanted to work with BGD on the custom setting.
Working with Brian and Lesley was everything it is famed to be.

Brian was attentive, generous with his time and knowledge and a great listener. He took all my feedback into consideration and made every effort to get the tiny details of my setting just right, including a number of lengthy phone calls to Australia.

Lesley is one of the hardest working people I know! Her customer service is impeccable – she was always efficient and I was never left “hanging” for updates or further info. Plus when I was being worrisome about the little things, an email from Lesley was always reassuring - I was never made to feel like I was being a pain in their you-know-what..(even though I likely was)
9.gif

I know “the experience” when going custom isn’t important to some folks – some say “as long as the quality is there, I don’t care how I am treated”. Well, I’m not one of those people – yes, I may need a lil hand-holding.
2.gif

In my opinion, with BGD the quality is there in spades, plus during the process you get to become familiar with some of the most genuinely nice and most passionate people I have met in any industry.
To me personally, the experience (and also after-service) is one half of the whole equation.
I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work with and get to know both Brian and Lesley and can’t wait to find a new excuse to contact them.
5.gif

So, here is the first CAD that we came up with:

Ring876 resize.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And after feedback and tweaking, here is the second one that we went with..

Ring889 cad.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And, dum da da dum...
The final product!
36.gif

It is platinum, with 0.28ctw of F-G VS Brian Gavin signature melee, size 5.25.
It has milgrain around the diamond "shoulders", and a delicate platinum strip that transitions down the shank from the diamonds.

Here are a couple of Brian''s photos:

brians photo 1 aj.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
second..

brians photo 2 aj.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and third..

There are more from Brian, but I''d better leave those here...
as I have taken a completely silly amount of photos, lol!

I love everything about my ring - the design and proportions were executed just perfectly.
The finish on the platinum and the milgrain is awesome.
And what really stands out is how incredibly comfortable the ring is on - it''s like they had my hand in the workshop whilst they made it
41.gif
But honestly, it fits like a dream - just that tiny bit larger/longer with the diamonds and they would have been uncomfortable... And the platinum strip down the shank is delicate enough that I don''t feel it, yet it still has presence as a design feature.
I think this is really where Brian and his team''s experience shows, in those kinda details..

brians photo 3 aj.JPG

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it, love the color
30.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I responded before I saw the ring! WOW! Gorgeous!!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I love it!! Please post handshots!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I hope you guys are ready for a mountain of photos
40.gif

Oh, and Lozza and those that know my prior antics... - no, I didn''t go round the whole neighborhood climbing fences etc to get all these, ha ha..
Luckily, my work has masses of trees and landscaped gardens with fun native plants, so is a photo-taking paradise
9.gif
41.gif

DSC06319rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
oh, and any pink/purple reflected in the stone is from my fuschia camera - this baby''s all blue!

DSC06317rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06309rs.JPG

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
OMG, it''s gorgeous!!! I am getting so antsy to buy and set some colored stones. Lovely!! Just Lovely!! I love the milgrain
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
okay...you asked for handshots
9.gif

DSC06294rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06290rs2.JPG

cushionladyESQ

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow. It''s just perfect. I love it so much! I''m happy for you that everything turned out well and you enjoyed the experience.

Enjoy that beauty!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoa..big hand! sorry about that...

DSC06228rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I could keep going like this all day...
took waayyy too many pics
40.gif

DSC06301rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
some sapphire fire..

DSC06195rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
This is the kinda colour it looks most often..

(oh, and a couple of these will be repeats from my CS thread here if anyone wants to go through the whole 14 pages of it
3.gif
)..

DSC06084rs2.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
5.gif

DSC06064rs2.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
1.gif

DSC06312rs.JPG

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Just wow! I never considered myself much of a sapphire person either but I *love* this!

36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
showing the shank detail..

DSC06245rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
profile view..

DSC06289rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06293rs.JPG

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
That is a good looking ring!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results