shape
carat
color
clarity

Jedi spinel

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
If so, what do you do, take out your gem jars periodically to admire them, then put them away again?
[/QUOTE]

And if so, can I come hang out with you the next time you do? ;-)

landscape

Shiny_Rock
AMAZING gems! Do you mind posting a profile shot of your new arrival, like this, pls?

DSC_3036.jpg

OK,will do later

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

This is what I personally think of when people say Jedi spinel - a kind of neon orangish red (though I know more pinkish ones are also called Jedi) - are stones this colour also referred to as flame spinels? EDIT: I've now seen your earlier comment about flame spinels vs jedi spinels so please ignore this comment.

Do you mind disclosing where you got this from (or not :D - it's up to you).

Do you not set any or most of your stones? If so, what do you do, take out your gem jars periodically to admire them, then put them away again?

The flame spinel is beautiful, but the body color is not bright enough. I collect gemstones not for set, but for research, similar to the collection of gemstone specimens, which can be taken out at any time when needed

landscape

Shiny_Rock
If so, what do you do, take out your gem jars periodically to admire them, then put them away again?

And if so, can I come hang out with you the next time you do? ;-)
[/QUOTE]

For me, all the gemstones collected are specimens for research, take them out when research, and put them back when finished.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
This thread is a 2.55ct Jedi spinel .A flame-red spinel as a contrast to show that the Jedi spinel has no dark side. Another contrast is between the Jedi spinel and the common pigeon blood red spinel.
Through comparison, we can see the characteristics of the real Jedi spinel: the color is very rich and bright pink-red or red, there is no dark field when viewed from multiple viewing angles, and the red color can be well in a dark environment.

2.55ct Jedi Spinel from Burma

DSC_3031.jpg DSC_3032.jpg DSC_3036.jpg DSC_3054.jpg
DSC_3026.jpg

Comparison of 2.55ct Jedi Spinel and 2ct Flame Red Spinel from Burma
Jedi spinel and flame red spinel are very close when viewed from the front, but from multiple viewing angles, it can be found that there is no obvious dark area in the Jedi, but the flame red spinel has obvious dark areas except for the front view.
DSC_3092.jpg DSC_3093.jpg DSC_3101.jpg DSC_3103.jpg DSC_3106.jpg DSC_3109.jpg DSC_3119.jpg DSC_3133.jpg

2.55ct Jedi spinel and pigeon blood red spinel contrast, another bright spinel is Mansin neon pink red spinel
DSC_3060.jpg DSC_3070.jpg

It's awesome you shared this comparison with us. These stones are gorgeous and it's nice to see the differences between them.

Also, the photos in your #25 post just about gave me a heart attack. That stone is sublime.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
It's awesome you shared this comparison with us. These stones are gorgeous and it's nice to see the differences between them.

Also, the photos in your #25 post just about gave me a heart attack. That stone is sublime.

Thanks

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
The flame spinel is beautiful, but the body color is not bright enough. I collect gemstones not for set, but for research, similar to the collection of gemstone specimens, which can be taken out at any time when needed

Do you have bunch of red rubies and spinels that are very close in colour? If so, would be great if you could post them side by side on a thread some time for those of us that are fans of both and also to be able to see any qualities more strongly associated with each.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I have rubies from various origins, the color of ruby and spinel has repeating parts, but may not be able to find a ruby that is the same color as the jedi spinel, flame red spinel and ruby are similar in color, next time I will put them together Compared

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I have rubies from various origins, the color of ruby and spinel has repeating parts, but may not be able to find a ruby that is the same color as the jedi spinel, flame red spinel and ruby are similar in color, next time I will put them together Compared

Yes that would be great, thanks! Pinkish red rubies vs pinkish red spinels too if that is possible?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Yes that would be great, thanks! Pinkish red rubies vs pinkish red spinels too if that is possible?
I think you mean pinkish ruby referring to hot pink sapphire. Some VV hot pink sapphires are similar in color to Jedi spinel, and some grading agencies for this type of pink sapphire will also give a ruby certificate (I don't think they are rubies), such as this VV hot pink sapphire is close jedi spinel in color.This VV hot pink sapphire has a red-pink-orange hue, just like the Jedi spinel. Next time compare it with Jedi spinel .However, this VV hot pink color is rare and may not be used as a reference sample. Another common hot pink sapphire for comparison
DSC_1464.jpg DSC_1465.jpg DSC_1459a.jpg
DSC_6203.jpg DSC_6204.jpg DSC_6206.jpg

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I think you mean pinkish ruby referring to hot pink sapphire. Some VV hot pink sapphires are similar in color to Jedi spinel, and some grading agencies for this type of pink sapphire will also give a ruby certificate (I don't think they are rubies), such as this VV hot pink sapphire is close jedi spinel in color.This VV hot pink sapphire has a red-pink-orange hue, just like the Jedi spinel. Next time compare it with Jedi spinel .However, this VV hot pink color is rare and may not be used as a reference sample. Another common hot pink sapphire for comparison

Haha, yes, what is pink sapphire and pinkish red ruby is quite subjective and a matter of debate I think.

Thanks for the pics, no it doesn't have to be a colour that is very common, it's more that I've often heard people say that rubies and spinels can be very similar in appearance but haven't seen enough examples side by side where they really resemble each other closely.

Also rubies and spinels to me seem to have different 'strengths' - rubies more glowy, stronger flourescence under the sun, more intense red?, whereas spinels more sparkly, more interesting ambiguous colours, can perform really well in low or dark light etc., though again, haven't seen enough similar colour rubies and spinels to really compare like for like.

For some time now, I've been having a debate inside my head as to whether I prefer rubies over spinels or vice versa. Despite the pointless and unnecessary nature of this (particularly as nobody is asking me this question and I'm just asking myself), it's something I can't make up my mind over, and I'm partly interested in seeing similar colour and quality stones side by side for that reason (most people don't have collections like yours to be able to do that, including many vendors).

landscape

Shiny_Rock
These are rubies, the color of rubies is similar to flame spinel

DSC_1455.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8833.jpg
    DSC_8833.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_8817.jpg
    DSC_8817.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_8816.jpg
    DSC_8816.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_1415.jpg
    DSC_1415.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
It does seem like the spinel has a more crystal like body (sparklier) and the ruby (or pinks sapphire) has more of a silky look.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
It does seem like the spinel has a more crystal like body (sparklier) and the ruby (or pinks sapphire) has more of a silky look.

The rich red ruby ( or rich red hot pink sapphire), it is not easy to obtain a crystal as clear as spinel (we know that the more rich red, the higher the chromium content, the worse the crystal), so the ruby is not easy to obtain the rigid fire like spinel , Some very high-quality rubies may have the same rigid fire as spinel. In addition, the pleochroism of ruby is different from that of spinel. It may not be easy to express pleochroism in pictures, and it looks similar, but it is still easy to compare the real objects together. easy to see the difference

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I can only imagine the budget in amassing such a collection of gems. Thank you for sharing it with us, it is the stuff of dreams!

I have thought the same thing :shock:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for keeping us updated on your collections. Honoured to be able to see a bunch of stones like these, even it’s not in person in real life.

Very much looking forward to see the direct comparison and subtle differences between Jedi, Mahenge, Vivid hot pink sapphire and top rubies of various origins~

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I can only imagine the budget in amassing such a collection of gems. Thank you for sharing it with us, it is the stuff of dreams!

I have to say it does require a lot of budget to support this interest. thank you

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for keeping us updated on your collections. Honoured to be able to see a bunch of stones like these, even it’s not in person in real life.

Very much looking forward to see the direct comparison and subtle differences between Jedi, Mahenge, Vivid hot pink sapphire and top rubies of various origins~

I'll take the time to put them together and take a picture, thanks

landscape

Shiny_Rock
A newly collected 5.1ct Jedi spinel from burma.Shot with 105mm macro lens and 70-200mm zoom lens
DSC_7600a.jpg DSC_7604a.jpg DSC_7606a.jpg DSC_7599a.jpg DSC_7607.jpg DSC_7608.jpg DSC_7611.jpg DSC_7612.jpg DSC_1621.jpg DSC_1619.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7610.jpg
    DSC_7610.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_7609.jpg
    DSC_7609.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_7602a.jpg
    DSC_7602a.jpg
    911.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_7601a.jpg
    DSC_7601a.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_1621a.jpg
    DSC_1621a.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
A newly collected 5.1ct Jedi spinel from burma.Shot with 105mm macro lens and 70-200mm zoom lens
DSC_7600a.jpg DSC_7604a.jpg DSC_7606a.jpg DSC_7599a.jpg DSC_7607.jpg DSC_7608.jpg DSC_7611.jpg DSC_7612.jpg DSC_1621.jpg DSC_1619.jpg
Do you live somewhere close to the source where you are able to see these in person before purchasing?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock

That is a gorgeous stone. You are very good at sourcing.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Do you live somewhere close to the source where you are able to see these in person before purchasing?

I'm not at the source, I just make a request and find a professional to buy it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results