shape
carat
color
clarity

Jedi spinel

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@landscape just wanted to say thank you sharing your specimens and knowledge with us. I’m fairly new to the CS forum (been lurking over on diamonds for years!) and have found your threads and posts incredibly helpful and informative.

I have found it difficult to “cross over” into the CS word precisely because it’s so hard to know what to look for - colour, glow etc etc, but your threads are helping me amass knowledge little by little :D

landscape

Shiny_Rock
@landscape just wanted to say thank you sharing your specimens and knowledge with us. I’m fairly new to the CS forum (been lurking over on diamonds for years!) and have found your threads and posts incredibly helpful and informative.

I have found it difficult to “cross over” into the CS word precisely because it’s so hard to know what to look for - colour, glow etc etc, but your threads are helping me amass knowledge little by little :D

I also get a lot of info here and glad to helpful

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Haha, yes, what is pink sapphire and pinkish red ruby is quite subjective and a matter of debate I think.

Thanks for the pics, no it doesn't have to be a colour that is very common, it's more that I've often heard people say that rubies and spinels can be very similar in appearance but haven't seen enough examples side by side where they really resemble each other closely.

Also rubies and spinels to me seem to have different 'strengths' - rubies more glowy, stronger flourescence under the sun, more intense red?, whereas spinels more sparkly, more interesting ambiguous colours, can perform really well in low or dark light etc., though again, haven't seen enough similar colour rubies and spinels to really compare like for like.

For some time now, I've been having a debate inside my head as to whether I prefer rubies over spinels or vice versa. Despite the pointless and unnecessary nature of this (particularly as nobody is asking me this question and I'm just asking myself), it's something I can't make up my mind over, and I'm partly interested in seeing similar colour and quality stones side by side for that reason (most people don't have collections like yours to be able to do that, including many vendors).

Actually this has had me wondering for a while whether the most neon fluorescent 'Jedi' spinels are actually superior in colour saturation and fluorescence than any ruby. I'm just going on pictures online. I've not been able to compare lots of different stones like that in person.

So which has the best neon intensity?

PS some absolutely stunning stones featured in this thread from @landscape

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Actually this has had me wondering for a while whether the most neon fluorescent 'Jedi' spinels are actually superior in colour saturation and fluorescence than any ruby. I'm just going on pictures online. I've not been able to compare lots of different stones like that in person.

The color, tone and saturation of the reflected light from the jedi spinel pavilion is almost the same as the color of the Jedi spinel body . The body saturation of other gemstones is generally darker than the reflected light (including ruby and common red spinel).
Therefore, a jedi spinel with superior saturation colour reflected light usually also has a body color of superior saturation,
so the overall effect of jedi spinel is also superior in colour saturation (we usually observe the color of faceted gemstones = pavilion surface reflected light + body color)
DSC_7600a.jpg DSC_7599.jpg DSC_7606a.jpg DSC_7600.jpg

DSC_7599.jpg DSC_7599a.jpg

other gemstones reflected light with superior in colour saturation usually has a darker body color (superior in colour saturation reflected light + dark body color),

O1CN01l8vAUV1ioj8mM8G4b_!!188264460.jpg O1CN01FCnnK41ioj8pSaXSO_!!188264460.jpg DSC_7637.jpg

or if the body color is superior in colour saturation, but usually the reflected light color is very light
DSC_6161.jpg DSC_6177.jpg

So yes the most neon fluorescent 'Jedi' spinels are superior in colour saturation and fluorescence than any ruby
捕获 拷贝.jpg

Last edited:

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
The color, tone and saturation of the reflected light from the jedi spinel pavilion is almost the same as the color of the Jedi spinel body . The body saturation of other gemstones is generally darker than the reflected light (including ruby and common red spinel).
Therefore, a jedi spinel with superior saturation colour reflected light usually also has a body color of superior saturation,
so the overall effect of jedi spinel is also superior in colour saturation (we usually observe the color of faceted gemstones = pavilion surface reflected light + body color)
DSC_7600a.jpg DSC_7599.jpg DSC_7606a.jpg DSC_7600.jpg

DSC_7599.jpg DSC_7599a.jpg

other gemstones reflected light with superior in colour saturation usually has a darker body color (superior in colour saturation reflected light + dark body color),

O1CN01l8vAUV1ioj8mM8G4b_!!188264460.jpg O1CN01FCnnK41ioj8pSaXSO_!!188264460.jpg DSC_7637.jpg

or if the body color is superior in colour saturation, but usually the reflected light color is very light
DSC_6161.jpg DSC_6177.jpg

So yes the most neon fluorescent 'Jedi' spinels are superior in colour saturation and fluorescence than any ruby
捕获 拷贝.jpg

Wow. Thanks for that! This confirms my suspicions.

It seems to be similar with the top quality vivid neon blue cobalt spinels from Vietnam - they look more intense than any sapphire. I do wonder if in future top spinels are going to increase in value to the point that they overtake the corundum gems.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Thanks for that! This confirms my suspicions.

It seems to be similar with the top quality vivid neon blue cobalt spinels from Vietnam - they look more intense than any sapphire. I do wonder if in future top spinels are going to increase in value to the point that they overtake the corundum gems.

Yes neon blue cobalt spinels from Vietnam have the same characteristics.

DSC_9717.jpg DSC_9720.jpg DSC_9745.jpg DSC_9745b.jpg
Jedi spinel is already more expensive than regular-quality rubies, but still far from the top-quality pigeon blood rubies.
I think the top pigeon blood ruby is unsurpassed by spinel, because the number of people who like ruby exceeds the number of people who like spinel. Although the number of spinel is less than ruby, the demand for ruby is far greater than that of spinel.

Unless there is a big capital operation to make spinel as widely known as ruby, if the demand for spinel and ruby is the same, the price of jedi spinel will exceed the price of pigeon blood ruby of the same quality

landscape

Shiny_Rock
A newly arrived 2.33ct heart-shaped Burmese red spinel,Guild lab graded Jedi spinel, this is the most common Jedi spinel on the market, but it is still quite different from the real Jedi spinel
DSC_7667.jpg DSC_7659.jpg DSC_7660.jpg DSC_7676.jpg DSC_7673.jpg DSC_7683.jpg DSC_7679.jpg DSC_7680.jpg DSC_7681.jpg DSC_7684.jpg DSC_7685.jpg
DSC_7686.jpg

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock

I wonder though if red spinels have as strong a red flourescence as some rubies in the sun, and if red spinels can match rubies in colour when it comes to bluish red (as in purplish red) rubies. Most red spinels seem to tend towards more orangeish red (though nothing is wrong with that) rather than purplish red.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I wonder though if red spinels have as strong a red flourescence as some rubies in the sun, and if red spinels can match rubies in colour when it comes to bluish red (as in purplish red) rubies. Most red spinels seem to tend towards more orangeish red (though nothing is wrong with that) rather than purplish red.

It would appear that the top 'Jedi' spinels from Myanmar are indeed as fluorescent as the best rubies, maybe even more so. Spinel also seems to occur in purer reds too without the blue or yellow modifiers. Being singly refractive helps in that regard too as you see the same colour in all directions.

Some amazing stones are featured on this video from Madly Gems, especially the one that first appears just over 9 seconds in:

What an amazing colour and clarity! That together with the large size suggests Mahenge origin.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
It would appear that the top 'Jedi' spinels from Myanmar are indeed as fluorescent as the best rubies, maybe even more so. Spinel also seems to occur in purer reds too without the blue or yellow modifiers. Being singly refractive helps in that regard too as you see the same colour in all directions.

I'd still like to see a comparision of similar colour red rubies and spinels.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Amazing that you’re able to source these. I especially love the one from post #55. Please keep posting more, they’re beautiful!

You don’t sell these do you? You’re just collecting for personal interests?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Also with that extra vivid hot pink sapphire:)

I'd still like to see a comparision of similar colour red rubies and spinels.

These are the stones received in the last two months. Among them are Vietnamese pigeon blood rubies and Jedi spinels. These spinels and rubies have been posted before. This time, the photo uses a very unfriendly sidelight for faceted gemstones, so you can see what makes jedi spinel special. Pigeon blood ruby and Jedi spinel can also show the difference in tone

DSC_1671.jpg

These three are included in the picture: 1、pigeon blood red spinel, 2、GUILD jedi spinel, 3、GUILD jedi spinel real jedi spinel

O1CN013HikYc1ioj8h0yBv7_!!188264460.jpg O1CN01l8vAUV1ioj8mM8G4b_!!188264460.jpg DSC_7667.jpg DSC_7671.jpg
DSC_7611.jpg DSC_7888.jpg

Last edited:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Amazing that you’re able to source these. I especially love the one from post #55. Please keep posting more, they’re beautiful!

You don’t sell these do you? You’re just collecting for personal interests?

Yes just personal interests not for sell

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
These are the stones received in the last two months. Among them are Vietnamese pigeon blood rubies and Jedi spinels. These spinels and rubies have been posted before. This time, the photo uses a very unfriendly sidelight for faceted gemstones, so you can see what makes jedi spinel special. Pigeon blood ruby and Jedi spinel can also show the difference in tone
DSC_1671.jpg

Wow - that’s an amazing group of gems and display of that true Jedi characteristic! Thank you so much for sharing this.

M

maru8888777

DSC_1671.jpg

Wow, these are incredible! The spinels just glow. What is the blue in the upper right corner (sapphire or spinel)?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock

DSC_1671.jpg

These three are included in the picture: 1、pigeon blood red spinel, 2、GUILD jedi spinel, 3、GUILD jedi spinel real jedi spinel

O1CN013HikYc1ioj8h0yBv7_!!188264460.jpg O1CN01l8vAUV1ioj8mM8G4b_!!188264460.jpg DSC_7667.jpg DSC_7671.jpg
DSC_7611.jpg DSC_7888.jpg

Wow. Thanks!

Which ones are rubies in the top picture?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@landscape, your collection is amazing, never seen such wonders all in one place.

I have a question related to the Spinel terminology, what would a stone like the one in my avatar be called? It's a Burmese dark red spinel with great colour when the light hits, I mean I have photos where it looks really good, not dark but in normal light it's garnet dark.
I've only seen this type of stone called noble red spinel, altought those specimens were a bit brown, mine is a dark warm red.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
@landscape, your collection is amazing, never seen such wonders all in one place.

I have a question related to the Spinel terminology, what would a stone like the one in my avatar be called? It's a Burmese dark red spinel with great colour when the light hits, I mean I have photos where it looks really good, not dark but in normal light it's garnet dark.
I've only seen this type of stone called noble red spinel, altought those specimens were a bit brown, mine is a dark warm red.

the spinel in your avatar we call it pigeon blood red spinel, which is also a range of colors, the darker ones we call black pigeon blood, and some people call it noble red spinel. The reflected light of this type of spinel has a very rich red, but the body color is very dark. It shows the color of the reflected light when the light hits, and the body color when no light hits, which is why it has great colour when the light hits but dark if no light hits.
In addition, this type of spinel has almost no fluorescence under UV light. Therefore, this type of spinel may have a relatively high iron content.
But there is no official trade name for the color of spinel, although some appraisal agencies give Jedi spinel an official business name, but not all appraisal agencies recognize it. As for others such as pigeon blood red, noble red, etc., don't pay too much attention to these names, for colored gemstones, rich, bright colors are always the best, no matter what it is called.
The images below can demonstrate the effect of this type of spinel.The gemstone circled in blue is the same one pigeon blood red spinel as these three separate shots, showing the different color effects under light hits and no light hits
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg DSC_1671b.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results