shape
carat
color
clarity

"Jedi" red spinel, cobalt spinel, and diamond ring ideas

Hello friends,

Moving on to my next project, though we probably won't begin for a bit. I had previously bought some Luc Yen cobalt melee from Yvonne, but they were only 1.5mm. At Tucson, she found a few matched 3mm, 2.5mm, and 2mm stones, so I cleaned her out. I think that's going to be it for me now, and I'm trying to incorporate all of the sizes into this ring project. Oh Yvonne also had a matched pair of cushions for $22k, but I just couldn't justify the price at this time. I hated passing them up, but I'm just relieved they sold.
1237413ff5kd0q598.gif
Imagine flanking the center stone with them? ugh

So here's what I have planned (it's just a mock up in Word)... the spinel is 2.72ct. for reference. These aren't the actual cobalts, just a stock image... in person they are quite "neon" and a true blue - no gray or green tones. They are well-matched for size, and super clean, but a couple do differ in tone just a bit (slightly darker). You kind of have to take what you can get with this material. Anyway, I can't decide if this will be brilliant in reality or a monstrosity. But I'm sure you guys will tell me (and all opinions are, of course, welcome)! I love big and bold, so no worries there.

Autumn

Capturejuij.JPG

And here it is smaller (hopefully on your end), so you can get a better idea...

Capturejuij.JPG

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stones together -- and individually! Great idea to show it at it's true size since it's such a different (and lovely) look at that scale.

But what will it look like (i.e., how will it be constructed)? White metal? All prong-set and "infinity-edged" at the periphery? Or with a bezel?

Hopefully you will have it completed for the 4th!

And tell us more about that beautiful centerpiece spinel!

M

maru8888777

I too want to know more about the spinel! This looks like a gorgeous layout. I'm imagining tiny prongs? I love the different sizes of the cobalt and how you've worked them in to the ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a statement ring. You have no issues with a huge ring?

voce

Ideal_Rock
That's a great layout. The only thing I don't totally love is the different size of the N-S position cobalt spinels (the largest pair). They are somewhat distracting in this design.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great layout. The only thing I don't totally love is the different size of the N-S position cobalt spinels (the largest pair). They are somewhat distracting in this design.

I see what @voce is saying here, but I think it depends on the actual setting/viewable metal on how it makes the actual layout. Imo of course.

Hard to say much more without seeing the actual stones themselves, and how it relates to your finger/hand size.

Other than that - count me in as excited to see where this takes you!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Love this. I, too, want to know about the red spinel. The whole ring is lush!

I love the stones together -- and individually! Great idea to show it at it's true size since it's such a different (and lovely) look at that scale.

But what will it look like (i.e., how will it be constructed)? White metal? All prong-set and "infinity-edged" at the periphery? Or with a bezel?

Hopefully you will have it completed for the 4th!

And tell us more about that beautiful centerpiece spinel!

Yeah that's the part where David's always like, "mmm hmm, and?" lol I have no idea about prong placement just yet. I was sort of hoping someone would waive a wand and they'd manifest.
wiz1.gif
David's also going to ask me about a gallery (eek).

Yes, this guy's very patriotic, isn't he?! Platinum for sure, I'm thinking.

I too want to know more about the spinel! This looks like a gorgeous layout. I'm imagining tiny prongs? I love the different sizes of the cobalt and how you've worked them in to the ring.

I agree... I normally like the prongs to be part of the whole aesthetic. But this ring is going to be quite busy, so I'm thinking less visible prongs will be better. Thank you!

I'm.... speechless..!!!!! And we need more juice on that red spinel!;)2:evil2:

Oh I forgot! Let's see, I actually kind of shy away from the term "Jedi," as I just feel silly using it. I can hear the "Imperial March" playing in my head. lol
orchestra.gif
But I suppose this stone applies, as it's quite "neon" and bright even in low light. It was certified by Lotus and then AGL. Lotus called it "red" with "medium tone" and "vivid saturation." It has zero pink (even though I love pink-leaning red spinels), as I really wanted a true red here to contrast with the cobalts. And I guess I got it, because AGL simply called it "red" as well. And you know them with their color descriptions... "brownish-yellowish-orangey-pink." lol But if anything, I'd say it has just a tiny smidge of orange to give it that "stoplight" effect. It's 2.72ct., but has a very high crown. So the depth causes it to face up small, unfortunately. It's only around 8.5x6.5mm. But I also think the cut created a tremendous amount of brilliance.

Gorgeous!!! But the smaller looks the same…

Yeah, that was kind of stupid of me.
zanyLOLguys.gif
I actually just made the same picture smaller so it'd be easier to visualize scale. The original pic is so huge (on my end anyway). Thank you!

Definitely a statement ring. You have no issues with a huge ring?

I come from a Native American jewelry background (my first love), so I have 2" rings I wear regularly. lol But I agree... it won't be for the faint of heart. I tried nixing the inner halo, but I feel like the blue and red need some separating.

I see what @voce is saying here, but I think it depends on the actual setting/viewable metal on how it makes the actual layout. Imo of course.

Hard to say much more without seeing the actual stones themselves, and how it relates to your finger/hand size.

Other than that - count me in as excited to see where this takes you!

Yeah, to be honest, I don't love the layout of the cobalts either. It took me a really long time to decipher how to configure them into a cohesive design. I wouldn't have chosen these sizes (or the numbers in which I have each), but I sort of just took what Yvonne had and went with it. I was lucky to get workable pairs, at least. If anyone has a better idea of placement, I would welcome it!

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I forgot! Let's see, I actually kind of shy away from the term "Jedi," as I just feel silly using it. I can hear the "Imperial March" playing in my head. lol
orchestra.gif
But I suppose this stone applies, as it's quite "neon" and bright even in low light. It was certified by Lotus and then AGL. Lotus called it "red" with "medium tone" and "vivid saturation." It has zero pink (even though I love pink-leaning red spinels), as I really wanted a true red here to contrast with the cobalts. And I guess I got it, because AGL simply called it "red" as well. And you know them with their color descriptions... "brownish-yellowish-orangey-pink." lol But if anything, I'd say it has just a tiny smidge of orange to give it that "stoplight" effect. It's 2.72ct., but has a very high crown. So the depth causes it to face up small, unfortunately. It's only around 8.5x6.5mm. But I also think the cut created a tremendous amount of brilliance.

That's amazing, it must be a stunner in person! If I recall correctly pure red spinels are quite rare too! Is it Burmese or Tanzanian?

I like the color descriptions from Lotus, it's quite helpful when buying overseas and give a little reassurance that the vendor isn't completely misrepresenting the stone ha.

That's amazing, it must be a stunner in person! If I recall correctly pure red spinels are quite rare too! Is it Burmese or Tanzanian?

I like the color descriptions from Lotus, it's quite helpful when buying overseas and give a little reassurance that the vendor isn't completely misrepresenting the stone ha.

Lotus and AGL both noted Mogok origin on their certs. I believe it was in fact sold to me as Burmese, but can't be 100%. I agree... the color/tone/saturation "grades" may be subjective, but if I'm going to trust anyone's opinion (especially with sapphire, ruby, and spinel), it will be Richard Hughes. As you said, it does give you some idea of what to expect, which I really find helpful when comparing stones online. Thank you!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although my eye did not pick it up, I do see what @voce is driving at -- and she, like you, is a master of "entourage" design. (You is? Whatever; grammar police come get me.) What if the big ones are at the E and W points instead? "Pulls" the overall contour in the wrong direction, I recognize, but worth a minute to test-swap and post...?

Although my eye did not pick it up, I do see what @voce is driving at -- and she, like you, is a master of "entourage" design. (You is? Whatever; grammar police come get me.) What if the big ones are at the E and W points instead? "Pulls" the overall contour in the wrong direction, I recognize, but worth a minute to test-swap and post...?

"You is kind, you is smart, you is important."

Yeah, so that is really the only other option (that I can think of), and how I first had the stones arranged. They looked like two little blue ears. 8) Let me redo it so you can see.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like it that way except the trilliants not being at 12, 3, 6, and 9 looks more jarring. I don't get an "ears" vibe and I am unusually sensitive to anthropomorphizing inanimates (e.g., car headlights). :P2

I actually like it that way except the trilliants not being at 12, 3, 6, and 9 looks more jarring. I don't get an "ears" vibe and I am unusually sensitive to anthropomorphizing inanimates (e.g., car headlights). :P2

I agree... how can I rectify the trilliant gap problem with the larger cobalts at E-W? :think: Maybe smaller trilliants, but more of them? I like the "star" look of the trilliants, so I want to try to keep that diamond shape, if possible. But I'm definitely open to other shapes.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex Maybe I can fill in the gaps with marquise, half moons, or epaulettes?

Not suggesting that -- maybe a belt buckle then? The original is lovely! The bigger spinels at E/W creates a more snowflake-like appearance to my eye -- with less elongation. I am no help! Vs. your 9:09 post, I definitely like the inner diamond halo plus trilliants best.

I am not so good at this part -- don't listen to me too carefully! I agree with @icy_jade above!

voce

Ideal_Rock
"Entourage"? :think:

I think for a better star effect look, start with this design and tweak. I would keep the 2mm pair NS and the 3mm pair EW. Instead of having the 2.5mm at the corners, I'd make the 2.5mm flank the 3mm stones. Thus the EW sides would look more rounded and less distracting. Assuming the smallest stones are 1.5mm (my guesstimate), starting from the 12 o'clock position you'd have
2 1.5 1.5 2.5 3 2.5 1.5 1.5 2 1.5 1.5 2.5 3 2.5 1.5 1.5
Then readjust trillions. I'm going to be super busy the next few days, so that's all I can suggest now.

Honestly, even if you don't optimize the layout to minimize the distraction, it will be a beautiful ring that will drive many of us into an envious frenzy when it is revealed!

Personally, I've learned to be super sure what I want to do before turning it over to a CAD designer so that I have no regrets, but maybe I'm just way more picky than even the average PS'er when it comes to color and layouts.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you thought about your shoulder/band design? I’m not great at design, but I’m thinking your first option would work well since the eye will still be drawn E/W by the shoulders of the band. That would create balance in my mind between the slight stone size difference of the N/S stones. You could even add some type of design element to the shoulders if you were looking for more balance. I love an elongated design, so I wouldn’t have noticed the slightly larger N/S stones myself .
Here are lines drawn for the band to give a better idea of what I’m trying to describe.
7497E26E-3BB0-450F-8AD9-4BDE347C2A20.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fabulous ring. It's actually very close to my ruby setting only with different halo colors. My pears are at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10. Maybe it will help give you an idea of what the orientation would look like that way.

DSC_0276.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results