shape
carat
color
clarity

Japan Trip Purchase Pictures (and Yssie’s paradise bracelet) — Current Pearl Collection

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
The depth of information in this thread is stunning. I greatly appreciate everyone sharing everything you've all learned in your comprehensive studies!

I see everything you're saying about the NW pearls, @NY_Resonant and they are gorgeous!! I'm wondering if NW might be the best color for me. I've been having a bit of difficulty finding the right color to go with my skin tone. Unfortunately, I have absolutely nowhere to even find NW pearls near me so I can't see for myself.
Also, aside from lots of PP freshwater pearls, I only have a handful of akoyas from Takahashi and Cees. Objectively, I'd say the best pair I have are fairly pink from Takahashi but they do not look good on me. They are really beautiful but they just get lost(?) because of my coloring(?). Does that even make sense? @yssie , any advice? I'm, evidently, quite pink. How do I even shop for the right colors?

Since pinking is so prevalent & preferred for akoyas I'm not really sure where to go from here. (Given the fact that I do not have the option to see good pearls in person without ordering them.) I know peachy or yellow-ish pearls are even worse with my skin than pinks but for different reasons.

My pearls from Cees are blue/gray and I really love those but sometimes things call for white pearls. I'm quite drawn to the silvery look of Mikimoto pearls in pictures but I love the true white of the NW shown in this thread.

Ugh, I'm sorry for this massive post & the threadjack! I'm just so impressed by the incredible insightfulness and serious studies done by everyone participating in this thread---you are all amazing!

Have you tried WSS pearls?

mamong

Rough_Rock
Would you say that the color of NW is fairly consistent across the board? I assumed there would be quite a wide range of colors because they are natural.

There variations among NW. All 4 strands in the first picture are NW. Less lustrous pearls look brighter. The first at the top is mine and 8-8.5mm in size, the others 3 are 8.5-9.0 size. The first and the 4th strands are of gem quality. The price of the 2nd and 3rd strands cost almost 40% less than the 4th strand. For the last strand, I had to ask for re-confirmation that it’s a NW strand as it looked like an untoned/natural pink akoya to me.

When I purchase sight unseen such price gap would make me worry not to get the best one.
However, when I can buy in person, I could be more relaxed and confident to choose the ‘best’.
On the 2nd picture of my NW earring I purchased in person. It’s teri rating was 95%. Next to my strand, I only see slight difference in lustre (probably due to my bad eyesight). The pair of my 95% teri rated earrings cost about 40% less than a pair with 100% teri rating. 078BD9CA-E84C-4122-A38D-DC0D86426CBE.jpeg 3C3C0CD0-7AC8-4E53-BC31-D1EDB451F613.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There variations among NW. All 4 strands in the first picture are NW. Less lustrous pearls look brighter. The first at the top is mine and 8-8.5mm in size, the others 3 are 8.5-9.0 size. The first and the 4th strands are of gem quality. The price of the 2nd and 3rd strands cost almost 40% less than the 4th strand. For the last strand, I had to ask for re-confirmation that it’s a NW strand as it looked like an untoned/natural pink akoya to me.

When I purchase sight unseen such price gap would make me worry not to get the best one.
However, when I can buy in person, I could be more relaxed and confident to choose the ‘best’.
On the 2nd picture of my NW earring I purchased in person. It’s teri rating was 95%. Next to my strand, I only see slight difference in lustre (probably due to my bad eyesight). The pair of my 95% teri rated earrings cost about 40% less than a pair with 100% teri rating. 078BD9CA-E84C-4122-A38D-DC0D86426CBE.jpeg 3C3C0CD0-7AC8-4E53-BC31-D1EDB451F613.jpeg

Haha of course my favorite strands are the first and fourth. RIP my wallet forever.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone for the input! it's so helpful and I really appreciate it.

If I was you, i’d ask the vendor to show you a NW with a dominant silvery-blue or pink overtone with no significant green.
This is a great idea, thank you. I appreciate the very accurate description I can give to the vendor. (Thanks again for allowing my threadjack!)

Have you tried WSS pearls?
I'm working my way to WSS but I'm still scratching the akoya itch. ;-) I do have a specific project in mind for WSS but it's a bit farther down the list.

This visual is incredible. I would have never thought NW could be so pink. However, it's difficult to pull my gaze from your strand -- it is so beautiful! Would you be willing to share the name of the vendor?

Haha of course my favorite strands are the first and fourth. RIP my wallet forever.
You & me both! :D

mamong

Rough_Rock
This visual is incredible. I would have never thought NW could be so pink. However, it's difficult to pull my gaze from your strand -- it is so beautiful! Would you be willing to share the name of the vendor?
It’s from Takahashi :kiss2:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I'm drooling over these pictures - wow!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
It’s from Takahashi :kiss2:

Your strand compares quite favorably with the 95% Teri earring, it’s beautiful.

Gorgeous slight pink overtone and the teal/blue glow is a touch that I absolutely love.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mamong That is a spectacular photo of the variation that's possible with NW, thank you for sharing!!

@bling_dream19 has a pair of natural white studs from Pearl Paradise that are similar to your last photo - so pink they look pinked. Strands like this must be very uncommon!

Your strand is beautiful. I used to err toward the pinkest akoya possible. In studs I still like quite a bit of pink, but over time I've really come to appreciate a more balanced overtone in strands and bracelets; I would choose yours too ❤️

mamong

Rough_Rock
@NY_Resonant Thank you! Although they aren’t 100% matching with my necklace, I was super happy finding the earring pair; was just going to purchase gift for my niece, didn’t expect finding an NW pair that I like for myself.

@yssie Indeed! - quoting the response from Takahashi - “Pink in Natural White strand truly very rare “

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made an attempt to catch on camera the difference in Pearl contrast appearance to the eye based on environmental factors such as level of brightness in the room.

The NW light bodied strand is on the outside in the following pictures:

Bright Pictures that seem to show inner strand has slightly darker blacks:

1681721320705.jpeg

1681721362514.png
1681721492731.png

Dimmer room pictures showing outer NW strand has darker blacks:

1681721561829.jpeg

8548128C-F138-481C-98DE-1A54F12CF496.jpeg
6525315B-E77B-4112-B372-196859584F12.jpeg
B5599025-7AAF-4EB6-ACE8-46EA2FB8A2CA.jpeg
7247D985-B70E-4F6D-B7C4-89180D72AC2B.jpeg

It’s been a hot minute but I found myself reading back through this thread and this observation continues to fascinate me. The one strand having darker blacks than the other in one lighting environment, and then the other strand showing the darker blacks in a different lighting environment.

I wasn’t able to replicate it at the time with my pearls but I’ve got a couple more akoya now I think, I shall have to try again. This is the sort of #WhyTF that haunts you!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
It’s been a hot minute but I found myself reading back through this thread and this observation continues to fascinate me. The one strand having darker blacks than the other in one lighting environment, and then the other strand showing the darker blacks in a different lighting environment.

I wasn’t able to replicate it at the time with my pearls but I’ve got a couple more akoya now I think, I shall have to try again. This is the sort of #WhyTF that haunts you!

I think to reproduce it, you may need to compare a higher contrast luster AND much lighter bodied Pearl with a less contrasty much darker Pearl…

Looking forward to the results you get!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come on, fess up, Takahashi posted in their IG about an Akoya bracelet in the making, and I have a suspicious feeling that it could be for a PSer!

DK :lol-2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come on, fess up, Takahashi posted in their IG about an Akoya bracelet in the making, and I have a suspicious feeling that it could be for a PSer!

Haha I had the same thought!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was told I wasn't allowed to buy it (the 7mm one) so it's not mine :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results