shape
carat
color
clarity

JannPaul decagon second opinion

GoUpdate

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I put down a deposit in October for a JannPaul decagon.
JannPaul is now offering me this 1.94 F VVS2: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=323550357

Hoping to get a second opinion on the stone.
I noticed the hearts and arrows don't seem perfectly symmetrical/are touching on some, but I am not sure what the acceptable super ideal HA looks like.
I also notice the yellow color of F in the images, but maybe won't be noticeable once set and in real life?

Any advice?

Thank you :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked them about the H&A? I see what you mean about the hearts.

Would you consider an E VS1 instead if it were available? A VS1 should be equally eye-clean, and swapping the color and clarity levels would get you a whiter diamond for close to the same price.

GoUpdate

Rough_Rock
I have, they said they'd send me a new HA image since that one may be off angle apparently?
Does it seem too off symmetry for a super ideal cut to you?

Yeah I would strongly consider it if available.

I think my price is locked in within a ~400 USD range for a 1.9-2, D-F, VVS1-VS1 if I accept since it's a custom order. It's also higher than they quoted me in Oct in USD. I was quoted in USD in Oct but they're saying its higher because the SGD-USD exchange rate has changed (0.70 -> 0.77-0.75).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have, they said they'd send me a new HA image since that one may be off angle apparently?
Does it seem too off symmetry for a super ideal cut to you?

Yeah I would strongly consider it if available.

I think my price is locked in within a ~400 USD range for a 1.9-2, D-F, VVS1-VS1 if I accept since it's a custom order. It's also higher than they quoted me in Oct in USD. I was quoted in USD in Oct but they're saying its higher because the SGD-USD exchange rate has changed (0.70 -> 0.77-0.75).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

It does seem a tad off for a super ideal cut. I'd wait for the new image and make your decision then.

I forgot that they quote in ranges. Does that mean they don't have more in-house inventory for you to select from?

GoUpdate

Rough_Rock
Will do. Do other aspects of the diamond look good to you?

When I ordered in Oct there wasn't anything in caret range I was looking for. I'm not sure about now but I will ask.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will do. Do other aspects of the diamond look good to you?

When I ordered in Oct there wasn't anything in caret range I was looking for. I'm not sure about now but I will ask.

Yes, the other aspects look good. The color is a bit noticeable in the magnified video but will be much less so once set. I love the very tall crown--should be incredibly fiery!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Kim N I have a question for you, just so I can learn as well. When I look at the symmetry image at the edges, there is red on three of the (what I think are ) girdle facets, but the rest are two toned. What is that??

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just fine...it's a 10 main diamond with 111 facets, so the facets are smaller thus the tighter appearance on the hearts.

Amazing crown height in this one!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a low F color? As in closer to a G? Could be my phone, but I see color. An F should still be colorless.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim N I have a question for you, just so I can learn as well. When I look at the symmetry image at the edges, there is red on three of the (what I think are ) girdle facets, but the rest are two toned. What is that??

GCAL uses a 5-angle scope, so there might be minor variations at the girdle that it captures that an ASET scope wouldn't. I don't believe it's anything to worry about.

Slide56.jpg

GoUpdate

Rough_Rock
Is this a low F color? As in closer to a G? Could be my phone, but I see color. An F should still be colorless.

Well it seems pretty yellow to me in the image... But I am new to diamonds and not sure what to expect out of "colorless D-F". The grading is within the range they told me it would be in.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the new HA image they sent, it looks much better than what's on the GCAL report.
IMG-20230209-WA0000.jpg

Much better and what I expect a super ideal cut to look like.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Well it seems pretty yellow to me in the image... But I am new to diamonds and not sure what to expect out of "colorless D-F". The grading is within the range they told me it would be in.

These are two random GIA D color True Hearts diamonds that I took screenshots of from the JA website...I think your Decagon is fine.

Screenshot_20230209-173133-478.png

Screenshot_20230209-173210-936.png

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Color sensitivity is very personal. It's also hard to judge color when viewing on devices. I would let them know you see color, and ask if they detect it when viewing in person. Generally, you shouldn't see color in D-F, face up.

itsfake

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I put down a deposit in October for a JannPaul decagon.
JannPaul is now offering me this 1.94 F VVS2: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=323550357

Hoping to get a second opinion on the stone.
I noticed the hearts and arrows don't seem perfectly symmetrical/are touching on some, but I am not sure what the acceptable super ideal HA looks like.
I also notice the yellow color of F in the images, but maybe won't be noticeable once set and in real life?

Any advice?

Thank you :)

I purchased my wifes Decagon (2.44 VS! E) form JannPaul... Rest assured... you will get a super ideal cut diamond and nothing less! They are top notch!

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
I purchased my wifes Decagon (2.44 VS! E) form JannPaul... Rest assured... you will get a super ideal cut diamond and nothing less! They are top notch!

Was shipping free? I forgot to ask during initial consultation.

Also how do you feel about the warranty process? They noted that you'd have to pay half for shipping which is $300 or so for permit and insurance...

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't actually ask about shipping. I should have!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Also, with color, the diamond can pick up color from something nearby. I believe they stand by their diamonds and the SA should give you a good idea of the color.

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Is there a video of that diamond somewhere? I'd love to see what they really look like.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
This is itsfake thread where he showcases his wife’s stunning JPLab diamond ring. OMG!

Felipe

Rough_Rock
Is 43.5% pavilion normal in Decagon or are most Decagons with a 43% pavilion?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is 43.5% pavilion normal in Decagon or are most Decagons with a 43% pavilion?

It's not something that would concern me in the slightest since JP verifies and validates optical performance with ASET and Ideal-Scope.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
AS far as the color is concerned, you could have a video chat with them and have them compare diamonds of different colors for you. Check out their videos. They have one that shows how to determine diamond color. (From the side, white background, etc.)

Felipe

Rough_Rock
It's not something that would concern me in the slightest since JP verifies and validates optical performance with ASET and Ideal-Scope.

ASET is only one part of the equation. You can also find round diamonds with pavilion angle > 41° and perfect ASET but less fire/scintillation.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
THat stone looks spectacular. I'd genuinely take anything they offered me - I wouldn't even need to see it or inspect it (though they insist upon that). They're the only vendor with whom I'd buy sight unseen. I think they have the best product on the market and don't have an astronomical markup for it

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
ASET is only one part of the equation. You can also find round diamonds with pavilion angle > 41° and perfect ASET but less fire/scintillation.

We're talking JP here...they'll provide any and all pictures, photos, and advanced images (including tilt videos under ASET) for any of their diamonds. They'll leave zero doubts for any customer. :)

Felipe

Rough_Rock
We're talking JP here...they'll provide any and all pictures, photos, and advanced images (including tilt videos under ASET) for any of their diamonds. They'll leave zero doubts for any customer. :)

Well, like I said, perfect ASET is possible with less perfect fire/scintillation. For round diamonds, a pavilion above 41° can have these issues. And JP is not pristine. Look the lab grown blue heart cut they've just posted on their youtube channel. It's full of strain. Even if they advertise they avoid such issues. But I agree that OP's diamond doesn't show strain, it looks like very good CVD material.
However, I would not be happy to spend that kind of money on CVD. I would love to own a Shield 2.0 or a Cushion and pay the same price, but HPHT.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Well, like I said, perfect ASET is possible with less perfect fire/scintillation. For round diamonds, a pavilion above 41° can have these issues. And JP is not pristine. Look the lab grown blue heart cut they've just posted on their youtube channel. It's full of strain. Even if they advertise they avoid such issues. But I agree that OP's diamond doesn't show strain, it looks like very good CVD material.
However, I would not be happy to spend that kind of money on CVD. I would love to own a Shield 2.0 or a Cushion and pay the same price, but HPHT.

I have a CVD stone that's GCAL 8x with no strain - looks fantastic. I wouldn't rule out CVD

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results