shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Shipping Times

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
That is one pretty ring! Nicely done! Now I just wait until the 18th to see if mine ships on time!

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
I received mine today, and they sent me the wrong ring :x2 They mounted it in their cheapest setting instead of their tiffany style that I paid for. I guess the little inspection card they include doesn't really mean someone actually looks. Now it's making me question whether the diamond is even the correct one...

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
Oh no! I am sure they will make it right, but that is disheartening to hear! Keep up posted!

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
I received mine today, and they sent me the wrong ring :x2 They mounted it in their cheapest setting instead of their tiffany style that I paid for. I guess the little inspection card they include doesn't really mean someone actually looks. Now it's making me question whether the diamond is even the correct one...

I am sorry to hear that. Do you have anything to check the inscription? I hope the diamond is the correct one you picked.

I received my ring today. It is correct diamond and correct setting. I also got the GIA, but there is no appraisal.

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
I can return it and wait another month, or I can get my money back. No other options, not even an offer to rush the replacement. I asked to be called by their supervisor, and got a simple email with a FedEx return label. I'll probably get my money back and pay more for a company that can be trusted. It really sucks because now that the ring arrived I had made the plans for this weekend, but now I have to put that on hold until July, and explain to her family why I invited them to town this weekend. That, or pay a ton to buy from a local shop. Lesson learned trusting a big box business like James Allen I guess :confused2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can return it and wait another month, or I can get my money back. No other options, not even an offer to rush the replacement. I asked to be called by their supervisor, and got a simple email with a FedEx return label. I'll probably get my money back and pay more for a company that can be trusted. It really sucks because now that the ring arrived I had made the plans for this weekend, but now I have to put that on hold until July, and explain to her family why I invited them to town this weekend. That, or pay a ton to buy from a local shop. Lesson learned trusting a big box business like James Allen I guess :confused2:

I think you can propose as planned, and then can get the correct setting by returning to JA. Obviously that sucks and they aren't doing the right thing (e.g. no offer to rush anything), but donl't let it ruin your entire plan.

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
I think you can propose as planned, and then can get the correct setting by returning to JA. Obviously that sucks and they aren't doing the right thing (e.g. no offer to rush anything), but donl't let it ruin your entire plan.

I would love to do that, but I can think of nothing worse than giving a woman a ring, and then immediately taking it away for at least 4-6 weeks leaving her empty handed. It's a lose-lose situation here.

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
I don't know if its the setting it is in, but it looks from the side to have a large inclusion in the middle. Top down I dont see anything however. This was the same diamond @daisygrl at one point owned. Not sure if she saw the same thing when she had it. 0DCCF55D-8283-4DD8-83C8-F4687CB65355.jpeg 369FF330-2818-4118-A61F-484BE6013F82.jpeg AF41FA8F-BF81-42D2-B7FB-675CFF8E23F3.jpeg 8C5EE2AD-FD42-4E5C-A683-88239FA9F16F.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if its the setting it is in, but it looks from the side to have a large inclusion in the middle. Top down I dont see anything however. This was the same diamond @daisygrl at one point owned. Not sure if she saw the same thing when she had it. 0DCCF55D-8283-4DD8-83C8-F4687CB65355.jpeg 369FF330-2818-4118-A61F-484BE6013F82.jpeg AF41FA8F-BF81-42D2-B7FB-675CFF8E23F3.jpeg 8C5EE2AD-FD42-4E5C-A683-88239FA9F16F.jpeg

Nope, not an inclusion. You're seeing the girdle reflection. Also that looks like their knife edge tiffany style setting

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
I purchased and paid for the tiffany style one:

Also, the GIA of what was supposed to be the correct diamond is attached. cert (2).jpeg

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
And this is the setting they confirmed it was sent with:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha, yes that's definitely a different setting (clear from the side view). But it's beautiful and i would still propose the way you planned. But the diamond looks great and there isn't an inclusion

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

The diamond I had (now you have it), had no visible inclusions (or I would have never bought it) - yours does not look like it has inclusions in the middle. It appears to be the same diamond as it has very obvious arrows (just like mine did) - and while I had it , I stared at it often so I kind of remember. However, the only way to be sure is to check for the GIA number on the girdle of the diamond. Have you checked? 30x loupe should suffice although I use a pocket microscope. If you check and the numbers do not align with the certificate, contact JA immediately.

Last edited:

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
I like your current setting, btw.
I used a 30x loupe to check the GIA number of my ring. It matches with the report. Overall I am happy with my order, except for the fact that they delayed for about a week and forgot to ship the appraisal. I contacted them and they will ship it to me soon.

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
Thanks @lovedogs, I appreciate you confirming its just the girdle reflecting. I really hate how cheap this ring looks though, and the bulkiness of the prongs. It's not horrible, it's just not what I wanted at all, so I'll definitely need to replace it. And thanks @daisygrl for confirming it looks like your old one. Just worried me seeing the diamond from the side given that the ring was wrong and there's no appraisal. If I do keep it for the proposal at least, maybe I'll get a loupe so I can see if the actual diamond is the right one as well.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lovedogs, I appreciate you confirming its just the girdle reflecting. I really hate how cheap this ring looks though, and the bulkiness of the prongs. It's not horrible, it's just not what I wanted at all, so I'll definitely need to replace it. And thanks @daisygrl for confirming it looks like your old one. Just worried me seeing the diamond from the side given that the ring was wrong and there's no appraisal.

You definitely can replace it. But I think most women want to be engaged and would love how thoughtful you've been in terms of organizing her family. So just propose, be happy, and then show her the setting you ordered vs the one she got and ask her view.

lostinblue

Rough_Rock
Saw James Allen shipping in title and just had to share. James Allen uses Fedex, signature upon delivery.. somehow the delivery person thought it was ok to just drop off a freaking diamond in the lobby in front of the mailboxes.

My SO wasn't at home, he called multiple times to ask Fedex to not deliver it and he would drive to the depot to get.. but he saw on the tracking that it got on the truck anyway.. so we thought we would pick it up from a Fedex location later. Good thing he subscribed to notifications because they just left it there!!! I ran out right before a work meeting to go to his place to grab it before anyone else can get their hands on it.. I still can't believe it! I literally almost had a heart attack!!

Be careful with Fedex.. they don't follow instructions.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
You definitely can replace it. But I think most women want to be engaged and would love how thoughtful you've been in terms of organizing her family. So just propose, be happy, and then show her the setting you ordered vs the one she got and ask her view.

I agree. To me, the setting does not look cheap at all. In fact, I personally like this one more than the one you originally selected. I think you should go ahead with your proposal plan and let your future wife make a decision about which setting she likes more.

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
Well, after a little while, someone more senior at JA did call me. After speaking to them, they do want to try and make it right, so I will give the management folks credit for making an effort. Once its all resolved, I'll follow up again. I do think I'll consider using the current one, though I still like the true tiffany style setting better. She even commented once months ago that that type was kinda chunky around the prongs. I guess I'll let her decide after (assuming she does say yes), and we can change to what I wanted, or perhaps something she wants. It just sort of ruins the actual moment, but I guess that's more just for me since I wanted it to be perfect. I guess we just have to roll with the punches sometimes.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hsc2003 The original setting you picked it much nicer. The one you got has prongs that stick out on the side (sort of looks unfinished to me) down at
the bottom. The one you actually picked is well finished and looks lovely.

I would still go ahead and propose then have it reset later. She will hate giving it up but its worth it if you ask me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, she might be ok with this setting, if so then just ask JA to refund the difference between the two settings.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, after a little while, someone more senior at JA did call me. After speaking to them, they do want to try and make it right, so I will give the management folks credit for making an effort. Once its all resolved, I'll follow up again. I do think I'll consider using the current one, though I still like the true tiffany style setting better. She even commented once months ago that that type was kinda chunky around the prongs. I guess I'll let her decide after (assuming she does say yes), and we can change to what I wanted, or perhaps something she wants. It just sort of ruins the actual moment, but I guess that's more just for me since I wanted it to be perfect. I guess we just have to roll with the punches sometimes.

Re: the setting: If I were you, I would try to return it and get the one you picked out originally - so much more put together and closer to a Tiffany Classic one. The one you ordered appears to have smoother knife edges. The one you receive appears to have sharper ones. This might be uncomfortable per many people's report.

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
Re: the setting: If I were you, I would try to return it and get the one you picked out originally - so much more put together and closer to a Tiffany Classic one. The one you ordered appears to have smoother knife edges. The one you receive appears to have sharper ones. This might be uncomfortable per many people's report.

The problem is, they said it would be 4-6 weeks at the very minimum if I want the tiffany classic type setting. They don't have access to that setting during COVID apparently, so they haven't been able to make it for a few months. They don't know when they'll be able to make it again either, so I could propose with this ring, then send it back but possibly not have it back for months. I guess I could choose another setting, but I like simple and elegant, and the classic was by far the best one.

The whole pandemic thing has made this all incredibly difficult. I had originally planned to propose in April or May, but then the quarantine happened and I didn't want to do it in our kitchen. It will be nice when things finally return to normal, whenever that is...

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The problem is, they said it would be 4-6 weeks at the very minimum if I want the tiffany classic type setting. They don't have access to that setting during COVID apparently, so they haven't been able to make it for a few months. They don't know when they'll be able to make it again either, so I could propose with this ring, then send it back but possibly not have it back for months. I guess I could choose another setting, but I like simple and elegant, and the classic was by far the best one.

The whole pandemic thing has made this all incredibly difficult. I had originally planned to propose in April or May, but then the quarantine happened and I didn't want to do it in our kitchen. It will be nice when things finally return to normal, whenever that is...

I hear you as I have a very similar setting to the one you have selected (different vendor.) If I were buying from JA, I would have picked the one you did. Also, I am in the process of purchasing (already have purchased actually) diamond studs (also a different vendor) who told me that the stones are in NY, thus the wait time is at least 6 weeks. We all are waiting, it is frustrating. Good luck.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock

Men always have romantic plans that girls may not have noticed... My husband proposed on a beach on our trip to Greece, at sunset time. He thought it was very romantic, but it actually was a place full of mosquitoes... but I still cried and said yes. Believe me, it will be a perfect moment for you two, and the shape of prongs does not matter at all.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you asked JA if you can keep this setting/ring until they are able to make the Tiffany inspired ring that you originally selected? Then, only send
your ring in after JA has your originally-requested setting in hand and is able to relatively quickly swap the settings? Sounds fair to me.

Talk to a manager...ask if it is possible. Apparently this was their plan all along to send you this setting if they knew they didnt have access to the
other (Tiffany like) setting. The least they could have done was given you a heads up with some plan. I think we all understand that things are not
normal due to the pandemic but better communication and a backup plan seem like it should have been an option.

Did you ask JA if they had any similar settings that are available NOW? It would be interesting to know/see.

Edit...whatever they say, get it in an email.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is interesting. I guess I'll just settle in for a long wait...

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock

Hey there - just curious if you ended up proposing this weekend or not?!? I hope she said yes <3

hsc2003

Rough_Rock
Hey there - just curious if you ended up proposing this weekend or not?!? I hope she said yes <3

I did, and she said yes! I picked up takeout from a michelin starred restaurant down in Washington DC, then went over to a field next to the Iwo Jima memorial in Arlington, VA, that has a great view of the National Mall. We had a picnic there and watched the sunset reflect off of the monuments. After dinner, and just as the sunset was ending, I asked to get a few photos of her with DC in the background. I then asked to get a photo with her back to me, facing the monuments. As she stood with her back to me, I turned the camera on record and got down on a knee. All day I felt like somehow she knew, but it turns out she didn't have the slightest idea in the end. This was actually an idea I thought up at 10am that morning, as my original plan couldn't happen because of things still being closed because of COVID and now also the protests.

I purchased a loupe and confirmed the diamond was the correct one, and JA ultimately refunded the cost of the setting given that it was their mistake, and since a resolution can't happen for months longer possibly. That made me feel much better about keeping it as-is, and I actually have to say the customer service from their management has been excellent in the end. As I thought though, she doesn't really like the current setting either, but now we can look together for one she does love. That will be our next project :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results